2.5 GPA, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthtoneJon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, not really, but I got your attention didn't I? Sorry.

I made one of these threads a couple months ago, but my ambitions and plan of action have changed significantly since then.

3.98 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 4.0 nsGPA, chemistry major at accredited state school program.

MCAT: 25 P (9/8/8)

EC / volunteering: captain of basketball team, coach of high school basketball team, youth groups, music (piano and drums), community service through church, shadowing, chemistry club, outdoorsy stuff, summer camp counselor.

Clinical experience: 2 years part-time employment as certified nurse aide, medical director of a non-profit camp for blind youth.

LORs: Good letters from science faculty (including pre-med advisor), one very good letter from English teacher, and one from an employer. I will also be getting a letter from an Osteopathic physician.

So my question is, if I apply to 7-10 DO schools this June, can I be very confident in an acceptance? I realize that there are no guarantees, but what are my chances? I ask because I have already applied DO, and am planning an MCAT retake. If my scores, for some reason, do not improve drastically (I expect they will) I need to know how heavily to emphasize DO instead of MD in my application (ie, apply to 10 DO schools and only 3 MD, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Your DO chances with such a high GPA are strong. For MD you'd need to get up to a 27 to have any reasonable shot.

You could easily go MD, if you wanted to, if you got a stronger MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA and MCAT you have now will get you into DO schools.

Probably for DO, but you will need a higher MCAT for MD school. My boyfriend is on his first year of residency, and this were his stats for MD medical school at the University of Miami: MCAT :33, GPA 4.0.

With those numbers, you're a shoo-in at my school!!!

Ok, not really, but I got your attention didn't I? Sorry.

I made one of these threads a couple months ago, but my ambitions and plan of action have changed significantly since then.

3.98 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 4.0 nsGPA, chemistry major at accredited state school program.

MCAT: 25 P (9/8/8)

EC / volunteering: captain of basketball team, coach of high school basketball team, youth groups, music (piano and drums), community service through church, shadowing, chemistry club, outdoorsy stuff, summer camp counselor.

Clinical experience: 2 years part-time employment as certified nurse aide, medical director of a non-profit camp for blind youth.

LORs: Good letters from science faculty (including pre-med advisor), one very good letter from English teacher, and one from an employer. I will also be getting a letter from an Osteopathic physician.

So my question is, if I apply to 7-10 DO schools this June, can I be very confident in an acceptance? I realize that there are no guarantees, but what are my chances? I ask because I have already applied DO, and am planning an MCAT retake. If my scores, for some reason, do not improve drastically (I expect they will) I need to know how heavily to emphasize DO instead of MD in my application (ie, apply to 10 DO schools and only 3 MD, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Goro, just for reference, what medical school do you attend?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.