2.5 GPA college drop-out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Javaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I used to be a Psych major, but I was unable to complete my degree due to health problems. I kept trying to complete it through a few years of health problems (to stay on my dad's health insurance). This, unfortunately, wrecked my GPA. I dropped from 3.5 to 2.5.

Soon, I hope to have a transplant, which SHOULD :xf: eliminate interference from my poor health.

My questions are:
1) Is it even remotely possible to get into med school with a 2.5?
2) If I take more classes (to finish my degree and get all my science pre-req's) and increase my GPA to a 3.0-3.5, would med schools still burn :thumbdown: my transcript when they saw my really bad semesters, or would they give me a shot and actually find out why I had such deplorable semesters?
3) I have heard that if I transfer to another school, I will get a "fresh start" on my GPA because only my credits would transfer and not my grades. Would the med schools see it this way, or would they still want my other transcript?

Thank you in advance for your responses. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a legitimate excuse for the drop in grades. Schools like to see upward trends in GPAs, but as of now, no: a 2.5 is not enough for an allopathic school if that is what you are asking. With a good MCAT you could probably get into a DO school, but you definitely need to show improvement in your grades.

Schools will want all of your transcripts, so going to a new school is not like a reset button.

If (3) is possible, it would save a lot ppl's troubles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if number three were true, it would be quite lovely. I realize the chances of that being true are slim, but I hold out hope for good tidings.

I think only Texas has a fresh start program. Med schools will look at all your grades. You cannot get in now, but try seeing if you can keep up the grades for a couple years, then reconsider.

MD med schools count all your grades, but DO med schools only count the most recent grade. So if you repeat all the classes you did poorly in, taking the same number of credit hours, you have a shot at a decent application GPA. The bad grade would appear on your transcript, but would not be included in the calculation.

MD med schools count all your grades, but DO med schools only count the most recent grade. So if you repeat all the classes you did poorly in, taking the same number of credit hours, you have a shot at a decent application GPA. The bad grade would appear on your transcript, but would not be included in the calculation.

How does retaking classes you did poorly in work? My advisor told me that if you retake courses you got a "C-" in, it will not boost up your GPA nor will it replace the grade. So how do Pharmacy schools look at this then? Do they ignore the GPA on your transcript and calculate their own GPA?

Any responses will be of great help!

Chialis, I have no idea what Pharm schools do, but osteopathic med schools thru AACOMAS replace the grades, regardless of what your undergrad school did. Allopathic med schools thru AMCAS also recalculate the application GPA: they average in a retaken grade, so that 4 hours of F and a retake of A would come out as 8 hours of a C.

OP, I recall there may be a few osteopathic med schools that would accept a 2.5 GPA with a very good MCAT score. There are more that take a 2.75, and a lot that accept a 3.0. Consider checking out the pre-osteo forum of SDN for more information.

Thanks for your responses. I don't know if I want to be an O.D. (no offense to those who are or will become O.D.s, I just have my heart set on an M.D.).

Hypothetically, what if I were to have a 3.0 and a 40+ MCAT?:rolleyes: