2.5 GPA considering switch in Chemical Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

71866ali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so this is my first post on this forum and I considered making it after some searching around and not finding the answers that I needed. This may sound like your basic run of the mill Pre-Med hyperventilating but the uncertainty is eating away at me.

So I guess I should probably start with my basic problems. I am currently a Bio-Chemistry student in New York City at a small private college. I ended my freshmen year this May with a 2.39 GPA failing Chem 1 and Cal 1. I got mostly D's and C's my first semester but things got better during the second one but not so much. I had a 3 credit wavier at the time and decided to take Organic Chemistry during the summer and managed to get a A in it which is the highest grade our school gives. In a small class of 9 people I was the only one to get an A which I'm really proud of but a quick glance at my GPA (which rose to 2.5 after the A) shatters it. I found out after wards that taking O Chem during the summer wasn't the greatest idea for medical school since admissions look at it in a negative way. But in my defense the class was really hard we had 5 mid term tests in the course of 5 weeks and a final with new material covered each day.

My question to you guys now is that what are my chances if i continue with biochemistry
(which i probably won't be doing so). I did a quick calculation and to get 3.5 GPA I would have to get straight A's in the remainder of my credits which is near impossible. I have, however realized the errors of my ways and learned not to study just the night before, to attend class, do problem sets and manage my time well. Even with that though it seems like the odds are against me considering a 3.5 GPA if attainable is still just a meh applicant.

I have however developed a plan which works wonderfully in my mind but still need some input from experts like you guys. I have decided that i should switch in Chemical Engineering but remain Pre-Med. The reason for this is because it works as a back-up plan, I fell in love with chemistry after taking Orgo, and this really incorporates chemistry into applied maths and physics, it covers most of my pre-reqs,and if med school is not in my cards after the next three years I have a back up plan. My school is known for its engineering program too and about 93 precent of its engineering graduates get a job right out of college. Chem E also has one of the highest starting salaries as well. But this is all for back up if I don't make it into med school.

So after all that I want to hear some opinions, harsh criticism what ever you guys got. I really am liking this chemical engineering idea and I think that I would be able to pull good grades out of it. I was also told that biology would be a good switch too but i absolutely hate the idea of memorizing all that stuff, I'm more into concept learning, its one of the reasons i love organic chemistry. Im also not really into the whole Caribbean School idea or DO. So i just want to hear what you guys think a good plan will be considering Medicine is still my number 1 choice.. Thanks and sorry for the long post kinda got lost there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy,

Great post. Very honest. Here is the deal, at least in my own opinion. Chemical engineering is essentially as much a quantitative field as it is a qualitative. Probably more so for the former. Seeing that you ended up failing calculus, I really dont see chemical engineering as a good road to take because you will be required to finish the entirety of calculus (I,II,III) as well as take additional mathematics courses (ordinary differentials, linear algebra, etc). Although its certainly not impossible to get straight A's its pretty damn hard. If you found love in chemistry, I suggest you pursue either the biochemistry path or simply switch to chemistry. The courses will be a bit less challenging (most because you wont need to take too many mathematics course).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you go to NYU Poly? I could be wrong but sounds like it.
First off I would like to say, with those grades you definitely cannot be picky, so saying things like "im really not into the Caribbean School idea or DO" is out of the question. You have grades no where near DO school. Also if youre into medicine and becoming a physician how can you "not be into DO?" ok regardless of this i strongly suggest you retake those courses if your college allows you to do grade replacement. If not , i think you might be rejected to a lot of masters programs as well. I had a friend who did a biochem track at a small private university and finished with a mid to upper 2.0 gpa and couldnt get into many master programs. I dont mean to be harsh but medicine might not be in your future. Congratulations on the A in Orgo, try to work your way to a 2.9 or 3.0 and you might be able to get into a decent Chemical Engineer Masters program.

My guess is cooper union.

Hi so this is my first post on this forum and I considered making it after some searching around and not finding the answers that I needed. This may sound like your basic run of the mill Pre-Med hyperventilating but the uncertainty is eating away at me.

So I guess I should probably start with my basic problems. I am currently a Bio-Chemistry student in New York City at a small private college. I ended my freshmen year this May with a 2.39 GPA failing Chem 1 and Cal 1. I got mostly D's and C's my first semester but things got better during the second one but not so much. I had a 3 credit wavier at the time and decided to take Organic Chemistry during the summer and managed to get a A in it which is the highest grade our school gives. In a small class of 9 people I was the only one to get an A which I'm really proud of but a quick glance at my GPA (which rose to 2.5 after the A) shatters it. I found out after wards that taking O Chem during the summer wasn't the greatest idea for medical school since admissions look at it in a negative way. But in my defense the class was really hard we had 5 mid term tests in the course of 5 weeks and a final with new material covered each day.

My question to you guys now is that what are my chances if i continue with biochemistry
(which i probably won't be doing so). I did a quick calculation and to get 3.5 GPA I would have to get straight A's in the remainder of my credits which is near impossible. I have, however realized the errors of my ways and learned not to study just the night before, to attend class, do problem sets and manage my time well. Even with that though it seems like the odds are against me considering a 3.5 GPA if attainable is still just a meh applicant.

I have however developed a plan which works wonderfully in my mind but still need some input from experts like you guys. I have decided that i should switch in Chemical Engineering but remain Pre-Med. The reason for this is because it works as a back-up plan, I fell in love with chemistry after taking Orgo, and this really incorporates chemistry into applied maths and physics, it covers most of my pre-reqs,and if med school is not in my cards after the next three years I have a back up plan. My school is known for its engineering program too and about 93 precent of its engineering graduates get a job right out of college. Chem E also has one of the highest starting salaries as well. But this is all for back up if I don't make it into med school.

So after all that I want to hear some opinions, harsh criticism what ever you guys got. I really am liking this chemical engineering idea and I think that I would be able to pull good grades out of it. I was also told that biology would be a good switch too but i absolutely hate the idea of memorizing all that stuff, I'm more into concept learning, its one of the reasons i love organic chemistry. Im also not really into the whole Caribbean School idea or DO. So i just want to hear what you guys think a good plan will be considering Medicine is still my number 1 choice.. Thanks and sorry for the long post kinda got lost there.

Realistically it will be hard to get into med school with your GPA. Ask your counselor if there is anyway to retake the classes you got a D's in. You're a freshman, and adcoms can be understanding of less than desired grades your first year. Taking orgo during the summer is also pretty inconsequential. Med schools place emphasis on MCAT, GPA & healthcare experience (and maybe research depending on which school you apply to ).

I want to throw a word of caution about switching to engineering major. I have friends who were engineering majors, but their classes were more difficult as compared with what I was taking. Consequently their gpa suffered, and they would have less free time.

Yep I go to NYU but if i switch into engineering then I would be going to NYU-Poly

ChemE is amazing. You'll love the stimulating challenge! (ChemE and physics major)