DriftaX

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I have a year left in college but my GPA is not to great, but my ECs are pretty good. I am Certified Clinical Medical Assistant, I work in physical therapy on the weekends, and I shadow doctors whenever I get a chance. I just wanted to know how post-bac works and if I should take a year off and just focus on MCATs and getting more ECs or should I apply to med schools the beginning of my senior year, which means that I take the MCATs this spring/summer. I really want to get my MD but I am willing to look into DO. I really just don't know what to do.

S

spike22

If I were you, I would ball out of control your senior year, pulling as close to 4.0's every quarter, while studying like crazy for your MCAT's/reading the economist and other materials to boost your VR/writing score WHILE doing every EC activity you can possibly do, WHILE doing additional research if you have not done that already, and do not forget to volunteer in a health clinic, and continue to shadow physicians of DIFFERENT specialties. I did this, and am getting acceptances to top schools. I was in a similar situation with a lower GPA, and an even lower MCAT score, without much EC. Good luck, if you really want to be an MD, you will do everything humanly possible this year and next, and if you do, you will get into a decent allopathic school and there is always the option of D.O. good luck, you can do anything you put your mind to

DriftaX

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If I were you, I would ball out of control your senior year, pulling as close to 4.0's every quarter, while studying like crazy for your MCAT's/reading the economist and other materials to boost your VR/writing score WHILE doing every EC activity you can possibly do, WHILE doing additional research if you have not done that already, and do not forget to volunteer in a health clinic, and continue to shadow physicians of DIFFERENT specialties. I did this, and am getting acceptances to top schools. I was in a similar situation with a lower GPA, and an even lower MCAT score, without much EC. Good luck, if you really want to be an MD, you will do everything humanly possible this year and next, and if you do, you will get into a decent allopathic school and there is always the option of D.O. good luck, you can do anything you put your mind to

Thanks for the kind words,
Did I mention I have withdrawn from ORGO twice and this semester is going down the drain? Is research really important, I don't really enjoy that. Thanks for the

yogitoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
I'd thinking critically if I were you, bc you honestly need at least a 3.0 science GPA and at this point, some awesome science MCAT scores. If you think this semester isn't going so well, I would take off sometime after graduation, maybe travel, do some overseas medical volunteering, maybe research and refresh yourself. You seem like you may be burnt out (I was totally there my last year too) then go back and get your masters. Med school committee's will look at your masters GPA, and just try to do really really well. Then, when your ready take your MCATs and apply. You can totally do it!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.