2.9 cGPA accepted into two schools AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted797640

Hello,

With the GPA requirements of schools constantly going higher and higher I think there are many out there feeling discouraged about applying to programs. I thought since I will have some time off in between semesters in PT school this would be a decent time to post. The responses I received on this site prior to applying to schools ALMOST prevented me from applying to PT school. So if anyone has questions about giving your application an edge when applying with total poop GPA's I'd love to answer them.

Major: B.S. Biology, University of California Irvine
cGPA: 2.93 (with 3 retakes)
pGPA: 3.33
GRE: 154V, 156Q, 4.0W
Experience: 2000hrs Pharmacy Technician, 1000hrs EMT-B assistant instructor, 600hrs ER scribe, 2800hrs Lead Physical Therapy aide

Currently a graduate assistant in my program and am doing pretty well. Struggling in the program was a concern of mine since I questioned my ability to succeed in graduate level course work due to my undergrad performance. This hasn't really been an issue.

Best of luck to all those future PT students :) there is always a way!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello,

With the GPA requirements of schools constantly going higher and higher I think there are many out there feeling discouraged about applying to programs. I thought since I will have some time off in between semesters in PT school this would be a decent time to post. The responses I received on this site prior to applying to schools ALMOST prevented me from applying to PT school. So if anyone has questions about giving your application an edge when applying with total poop GPA's I'd love to answer them.

Experience: 2000hrs Pharmacy Technician, 1000hrs EMT-B assistant instructor, 600hrs ER scribe, 2800hrs Lead Physical Therapy aide

Currently a graduate assistant in my program and am doing pretty well. Struggling in the program was a concern of mine since I questioned my ability to succeed in graduate level course work due to my undergrad performance. This hasn't really been an issue.

Where did you get in and how many schools did you apply to? My cGPA after graduation was a 3.03 and after 2 years of classes PTCAS is showing it as a 3.29 (but most schools don't consider this adjusted GPA).

I have applied to 10 schools so far and have been offered admission to an online one, which I denied, and interviews at 2 more. The rest I haven't heard from yet. But I haven't been rejected or had anything bad happen yet. I am sooooo worried. I have 3 more schools that I might apply to. So basically I am terrified because I've already interviewed at my favorite school and I'm waiting to hear back. I still have at least 1 more interview to go to. The waiting is the worst. Did you get in your first admissions cycle? Do you have any recommendations for the interview?

I am so glad to hear you are doing well in school. That has been a worry of mine. I've had a 3.8 for the last 2 years but I have this inferiority complex after "failing" in undergrad. I was sick and had chronic pain issues that have since been resolved. Interviewing has been surreal because I never thought I'd even get offered an interview. I'm starting to realize I have to be confident and remember I am more than my GPA. When I got to interviews they already like me and I don't need to feel inferior.

Stats
cGPA 3.03 (kind of 3.29)
pGPA 3.6-ish
GRE: V162 Q153 W4.5
Experience: 3000 hours of PT observation/aide work, Lifeguard instructor

Struggling in the program was a concern of mine since I questioned my ability to succeed in graduate level course work due to my undergrad performance.

To any student who gets into a program and feels this way, you earned your spot just like anyone else in your cohort. Everyone is starting fresh in a new program and the best you can do is to put in the time. Yes, some people don't need to study as much, but all you can do is get up earlier and stay later. Besides, everyone starts the semester at a 4.0 and each semester is a fresh start. Everyone wants you to succeed, so ask for help and don't wait until you are failing a class to go to your professor or counselor for advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get in and how many schools did you apply to? My cGPA after graduation was a 3.03 and after 2 years of classes PTCAS is showing it as a 3.29 (but most schools don't consider this adjusted GPA).

I have applied to 10 schools so far and have been offered admission to an online one, which I denied, and interviews at 2 more. The rest I haven't heard from yet. But I haven't been rejected or had anything bad happen yet. I am sooooo worried. I have 3 more schools that I might apply to. So basically I am terrified because I've already interviewed at my favorite school and I'm waiting to hear back. I still have at least 1 more interview to go to. The waiting is the worst. Did you get in your first admissions cycle? Do you have any recommendations for the interview?

I am so glad to hear you are doing well in school. That has been a worry of mine. I've had a 3.8 for the last 2 years but I have this inferiority complex after "failing" in undergrad. I was sick and had chronic pain issues that have since been resolved. Interviewing has been surreal because I never thought I'd even get offered an interview. I'm starting to realize I have to be confident and remember I am more than my GPA. When I got to interviews they already like me and I don't need to feel inferior.

Stats
cGPA 3.03 (kind of 3.29)
pGPA 3.6-ish
GRE: V162 Q153 W4.5
Experience: 3000 hours of PT observation/aide work, Lifeguard instructor

Most schools will actually re-calculate your GPA themselves and utilize the highest grade you have for each course while PTCAS combines the grades so your GPA for most schools is most likely higher than what is shown on PTCAS. I got 2 interviews and got accepted into MGH in Boston and TSU. I didn't get accepted anywhere on my first application cycle but that was no big deal since I decided to apply again. As for the interviews I would just be yourself, too many people go into the interview memorizing answers and sounding robotic. Think of large life situations and scenarios you feel you learned things from or that altered your life. Then in the interview these situations can be used to answer any questions they might have. Don't forget to get the interviewers business card and email them a thoughtful thank you email. Best of luck on your interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools will actually re-calculate your GPA themselves and utilize the highest grade you have for each course while PTCAS combines the grades so your GPA for most schools is most likely higher than what is shown on PTCAS. I got 2 interviews and got accepted into MGH in Boston and TSU. I didn't get accepted anywhere on my first application cycle but that was no big deal since I decided to apply again. As for the interviews I would just be yourself, too many people go into the interview memorizing answers and sounding robotic. Think of large life situations and scenarios you feel you learned things from or that altered your life. Then in the interview these situations can be used to answer any questions they might have. Don't forget to get the interviewers business card and email them a thoughtful thank you email. Best of luck on your interview!
I did a handwritten hard that I addressed and stamped to my interviewer but ended up leaving with a front office person so that he got it faster. Is that ok or is email preferred?

Hello,

what made your application stand out?