1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

2 Behavioral Sciences Questions

Discussion in 'Step I' started by MQRaza, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MQRaza

MQRaza the chan-chan man
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have two BS questions, if someone can please help me with them that'd be great!

1) Durable power of attorney > Living will? If a man goes on a vent and before that tells his friend to make his decisions - and the friend then says no vent - but the will says take all measures necessary to ensure life, will we still go for power of attorney?

2) If a patient has an STD, and does NOT plan on telling girlfriend/wife that he has it - And also doesnt elaborate whether he will use protection during intercourse, is it the physicians responsibility to inform the patients partner? Or in this case confidentiality > harm to partner??

Thanks you guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ty Webb

Ty Webb I like you Betty...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. Power of attorney supersedes a living will.

2. The physician shouldn't contact the at-risk parties behind the patient's back just because he was vague about his intentions to tell them. He should confront the patient and make him understand the gravity of the situation and that it is a necessity to inform them of the risk involved if they engage in intercourse. If the patient at this point is in refusal, it is the physician's duty to notify these individuals of the risk present.

Confidentiality can pretty much always be breached where public safety is a concern, even if the party at risk isn't directly identifiable. For instance, an individual who has been drinking and driving who shows up in the ER can and will be reported to authorities, whereas someone who overdosed on heroin would not be reported unless they were engaging in behavior that similarly endangered the public at large.

4. MQRaza

MQRaza the chan-chan man
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Great thanks! That about clears it up. Especially found that last example with heroin quite helpful.