2 false starts at Med school prereqs

Started by Bribri123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bribri123

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I’ve post here a couple times I’m an RN that had started NP school but backed out because I realized medicine is what I wanted to do, anyways I still work full time and even more so because of the pandemic. I have previously thought I could juggle full time work, the busy work of settling into a new home and prereqs. Well needless to say. I had to withdraw. This is the second time I have started classes and withdrawn for the same reason. This time i decided I’m going to wait a full school year and in that time get settled in my home save up money and prepare myself for the prereqs so I can dedicate all my spare time to those classes. It sucks because I’m getting up there in age but I want to make sure I don’t put myself in a position where I need to withdraw. This brings me to my question. Will the fact I have had to attempts at the prereqs and have had to withdraw look bad to med schools if so what is the best way to explain my circumstances? Thanks everyone
 
There is a forum on this site targeted towards premeds who need reinvention, that may be a good place to pose the question.

I wish you luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The beat way to explain it is to crush the courses when you finally have the proper time to dedicate to them. Anything less than a stellar performance will hurt you a lot on your application though so be 100% sure you are ready with the right resources and time for them.

There will be parts in secondaries to explain the W’s, but an explanation will sound like an excuse if you don’t get the grades to prove that all you needed was enough time to dedicate.
 
Will the fact I have had to attempts at the prereqs and have had to withdraw look bad to med schools if so what is the best way to explain my circumstances?
Folks who sit on admissions committees are people and understand that life/things come up. As posted above, doing well in your courses and avoiding other withdrawals will help make your case. When you go to explain it just be honest: the workload for the course was too much while working full-time and you needed to take them at another time. Do I think your past withdrawals will unduly burden your application to medical school: no. Do I think it warrants an explanation: yes.