2 holds and 1 II waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1058524

Just got II waitlisted at Arizona...
I'm also on hold at SUNY upstate and GW.

But on the bright side, at least I'm not rejected...smh

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by II waitlist? Post-II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, exactly. I did not know waitlisting people for an interview was a thing until now.
Never knew that a pre-II waitlist existed. Does this mean "if one of the persons with regular II declines, you will be up for II"?

Never knew that a pre-II waitlist existed. Does this mean "if one of the persons with regular II declines, you will be up for II"?

I think it's same as Hold status. This is the email I received.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Your application completed the primary screening phase, but unfortunately, did not advance to the interview phase at this time. However, we have determined that you are a competitive candidate and you will continue to be considered during this application cycle. Applications are reviewed on a weekly basis for interview invites.
------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, exactly. I did not know waitlisting people for an interview was a thing until now.
Yeah, I've never heard of that either. It really sounds like another way to say hold. As you pointed out, better than a R, but still ....

Your application completed the primary screening phase, but unfortunately, did not advance to the interview phase at this time. However, we have determined that you are a competitive candidate and you will continue to be considered during this application cycle. Applications are reviewed on a weekly basis for interview invites.
Totally -- that's not an II WL -- it's a hold, which is definitely better than a R. They are literally telling you that you are good enough, but they want to see other files before deciding whether to give you an II. It's way better than silence or a R.

Good luck

I have one state MD II and two DO holds currently (one is a "qualified status" the other is an interview waitlist).
Still gotta wait on the 27 other schools to trickle through...

A II waitlist exists for WVU and they split it into priority tiers. Just fyi - it isn't impossible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually @KnightDoc there is an interview waitlist at Arizona Tuscon, as reiterated by the school's specific thread in which the literal email title is "The University of Arizona - Tucson: Interview Waitlist" and individuals have been taken off the interview waitlist. Perhaps, equivalent to the hold status in many ways but OP is not wrong to have stated this as an II-WL.

Also, given you are not applying this cycle, why have you posted 3500 comments (approximating 3 minutes each post, = 10500 minutes, 175 hours, 7.29 days)? Just wondering if you have some secret identity as to why your insight (as not an applicant and not a medical student and not an adcom) warrants the equivalence of 175 hours on SDN since you started in May (just kidding) since September of 2020?

And at OP, good luck! You've got this.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Actually @KnightDoc there is an interview waitlist at Arizona Tuscon, as reiterated by the school's specific thread in which the literal email title is "The University of Arizona - Tucson: Interview Waitlist" and individuals have been taken off the interview waitlist. Perhaps, equivalent to the hold status in many ways but OP is not wrong to have stated this as an II-WL.

Also, given you are not applying this cycle, why have you posted 3500 comments (approximating 3 minutes each post, = 10500 minutes, 175 hours, 7.29 days)? Just wondering if you have some secret identity as to why your insight (as not an applicant and not a medical student and not an adcom) warrants the equivalence of 175 hours on SDN since you started in May (just kidding) since September of 2020?

When I starting posting on this site I thought he was an adcom :lol:. I would love to be there for his interviews once he enters the application cycle to see how he puts all this SDN experience into practice.

Last edited:
When I starting posting on this site I thought he was an adcom :lol:. I would love to be there for his interviews once he enters the application cycle to see how he puts all this SDN experience into practice.
That makes two of us!!!! I pray I am lucky enough to actually have interviews. :cool:

My expectation is not that any of this will help on an interview. Rather, the plan was for it to help inform a school list, ECs, MCAT prep and an approach to applications. Believe it or not, I have already received way more than I can ever repay.

As always, anyone who thinks one is not qualified to post until one is an actual applicant, or an adcom, or a med student, knows exactly who I am (I do not purport to be anything else) and can and should ignore me and my posts. I am pretty sure there is a setting for that. :cool: For the benefit of anyone else who might be left, I post, even if it's only for myself.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

SDN advising could be an unique EC for schools that value leadership/mentoring :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I mean... A hold and a II-waitlist are effectively the same, and I don't think any school would distinguish between the two (they either put people "on-hold" or on a II-waitlist) -- implying you are still under consideration, but not enough for an II at this time. That being said, I definitely would not hold out much hope for these holds or II-waitlists. I was put "on-hold" at 6 different schools last cycle and did not receive an interview invite from a single one. I would be curious what percentage of these turn into actual IIs, but my guess is around ~10%. It seems like GW gives this message to a solid chunk of their applicants because I have seen quite a few applicants who were "on-hold" there with no success (myself included).

Reactions: 1 user
I mean... A hold and a II-waitlist are effectively the same, and I don't think any school would distinguish between the two (they either put people "on-hold" or on a II-waitlist) -- implying you are still under consideration, but not enough for an II at this time. That being said, I definitely would not hold out much hope for these holds or II-waitlists. I was put "on-hold" at 6 different schools last cycle and did not receive an interview invite from a single one. I would be curious what percentage of these turn into actual IIs, but my guess is around ~10%. It seems like GW gives this message to a solid chunk of their applicants because I have seen quite a few applicants who were "on-hold" there with no success (myself included).
My point exactly!!! A WL after an interview actually means something, unless the school doesn't reject anyone, because you are on a list waiting to be called if and when a spot opens up. A WL for an II is just another term for hold, since the prerequisite for being called is not someone giving up a spot -- it's just the adcom coming back to you and deciding to bring you in.

My point exactly!!! A WL after an interview actually means something, unless the school doesn't reject anyone, because you are on a list waiting to be called if and when a spot opens up. A WL for an II is just another term for hold, since the prerequisite for being called is not someone giving up a spot -- it's just the adcom coming back to you and deciding to bring you in.

Hey there! @KnightDoc I definitely wasn't meaning to knock you, I was genuinely curious if you were some undercover adcom or for some reason I thought you might've been Dr. Ryan Gray undercover because I had seen your other comments on the MAPPED thread.

It's cool that you're so invested in SDN! Fair forewarning, being so occupied with it a year in advance to your cycle might not be so good for prolonged well-being (coming from personal experience of even just being on SDN for the last few months of this cycle).

You'll be a great physician and I can tell you'll be well-appreciated/well-respected by your future patients with your dedication to providing good advice :) Take it easy though for the next year and spend some of your down time doing what you love because, trust me, life during and after the application process into medical school does not seem to mellow down for anyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! @KnightDoc

You'll be a great physician and I can tell you'll be well-appreciated/well-respected by your future patients with your dedication to providing good advice :)
I am not sure how he will responds to parents if he becomes a pediatrician :cool:

Hey there! @KnightDoc I definitely wasn't meaning to knock you, I was genuinely curious if you were some undercover adcom or for some reason I thought you might've been Dr. Ryan Gray undercover because I had seen your other comments on the MAPPED thread.

It's cool that you're so invested in SDN! Fair forewarning, being so occupied with it a year in advance to your cycle might not be so good for prolonged well-being (coming from personal experience of even just being on SDN for the last few months of this cycle).

You'll be a great physician and I can tell you'll be well-appreciated/well-respected by your future patients with your dedication to providing good advice :) Take it easy though for the next year and spend some of your down time doing what you love because, trust me, life during and after the application process into medical school does not seem to mellow down for anyone!
Thanks for the kind words. The simple answer is two-fold -- COVID has left me with a lot of time on my hands, given the fact that on-campus activities are non-existent as well as most ECs. The other is that I was always planning on being an applicant this year until COVID, along with some good advice from the adcoms here, convinced me to pull the plug this year. I had my MCAT moved three times due to the shutdown, which then interfered with planned secondary applications this summer, plus the fact that ECs hours died in March and I still don't have the research experience I was planning on getting this summer.

So, yeah, I spend too much time here and inadvertently started a year before I planned to, but I'm not an undercover anything. I'm just a little less anxious and a little more obsessive than the typical SDN premed, and am really just trying to give back because I know A LOT more than I did a year and a half ago. Believe me, I'm doing things now that it would never have otherwise occurred to me to do. My expectations are also way lower than they would have been without SDN.

I only wish I could do what I love -- I'm stuck in a bubble finishing out school online and obsessing about how this is going to turn out for me! Posting on SDN is a welcome distraction that hopefully will benefit someone the same way I was helped. :cool:

I am reminded of Beck's song, "Where It's At":

I got two turntables and a microphone +pity+

I wrote this message with the intent of adding some levity to a stressful process.

Last edited: