2 Months>230 on Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghorn50

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anyone that studied for around 2 months and scored higher than a 230 on Step I. If so, I was wondering how you did it and what your strategy was. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

3 week study plan, no Kaplan, lots of BRS and HY. 246/99 I have a detailed study schedule in a .doc format. Just send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you want a copy of it. So I guess the message from southerdoc and myself is that yes, a score of >230 is very obtainable with less than 2 months to study.

2 months is too much time -- in fact, you will go insane. less than 6 weeks is ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
4-5 weeks, 256/99.
Don't study for two months, you'll go insane!

Hercules
Thanks for the help. I tried to email you, but it would not let me. I am interested in getting your study schedule. Thanks.

Harrie said:
4-5 weeks, 256/99.
Don't study for two months, you'll go insane!

I have been studying for two months now and I am now clinically insane but I just hate to stop for a bit since I am in a groove. That groove didn't help me much on my NBME self-assesment exam I took today. I was on the low end of passing. I honestly feel like I would have performed just as well two weeks ago.

Hercules, I'm interested in seeing your schedule, too. I tried to email you, but it wouldn't let me. You can email me from my profile, however, if you see this.
Much appreciated!!

hercules i pm'd you and added my e mail add please send me that schedule muchas gracias

Hey guys,

A little off-topic, but could you comment on the advisability of studying a bit during the summer after MS-1? I understand there's a high correlation between one's physiology grades and USMLE score...If someone (me, for example!) has a summer free in which he plans to do nothing, do you think that hitting the physiology/biochem/neuro areas over summer will help lighten the prep load later on, or will it be too early to be productive?

Thanks for your help!

If you are so motivated to start studying for step I now, so be it. It won't hurt you.

But, IMHO, you'll probably have to (or be compelled to) re-study everything again anyways...the majority of my step I prep was second year stuff (path, pathophys, pharm, etc.) simply due to shear volume. Keep in mind Anatomy and Physio are each theoretically ~1/7 of the test, and some of it is reinforced by second year coursework anyway. Neuro is ~1/4 of the anatomy (thus theoretically ~1/28 of the test). I would enjoy your summer, as it'll probably be one of the last times you will be able to do anything you want for a couple months. The summer after second year sucked b/c my 'time off' was spent furiously cramming/stressing for boards before starting clinicals in July. I highly recommend going to Europe (or wherever) and "study" there while site-seeing. :D

As far as physio grades correlating to USMLE scores, I can't say I've ever heard that before. From my own experience, I would say there is no correlation. Just my two cents.

utlonghorn50 said:
I was wondering if there was anyone that studied for around 2 months and scored higher than a 230 on Step I. If so, I was wondering how you did it and what your strategy was. Thanks for the help!

8 weeks, around 8-10 hours a day, went through a variety of resources. Very complicated. :)

Hercules said:
3 week study plan, no Kaplan, lots of BRS and HY. 246/99 I have a detailed study schedule in a .doc format. Just send me an e-mail if you want a copy of it. So I guess the message from southerdoc and myself is that yes, a score of >230 is very obtainable with less than 2 months to study.

I'd love a peek at your study schedule. Check your PMs. Thanks for sharing it with us.

lukealfredwhite said:
but could you comment on the advisability of studying a bit during the summer after MS-1? I understand there's a high correlation between one's physiology grades and USMLE score...If someone (me, for example!) has a summer free in which he plans to do nothing, do you think that hitting the physiology/biochem/neuro areas over summer will help lighten the prep load later on, or will it be too early to be productive?

You can. If I were to start again, though, I would not try to study during the summer. Instead, I would go online (here is good) to find a list of the best review books to use for each subject. Then ask a current MS-2 about the second-year schedule at your school, and ask specifically WHAT MATERIAL from WHICH REVIEW BOOKS is covered WHEN during the year. Then I'd use that information to map out when to read/skim appropriate sections in all of the review books as I go, during the year.

For example, had I known that so much embryology and congenital pathology was going to be covered during the Reproductive Pathology/Physiology section of our course, I'd have studied it later and not bothered brushing up earlier during the year.

If I could do it again I'd grab Clinical Micro Made Ridicously Simple and read that. The better you know the bugs and drugs, the easier life will be. IMHO.

Do get away somewhere, you WILL wish you had come this time next year!

Spang

If I could do it over again, Id pick up first aid and go over the relevant first year material. Actually, memorize the relevant first year stuff. Dont try to tackle second year stuff too much unless you are matching first year concepts to pathphys or something like that. Also, like the others said, take time off because you will need a well rested brain for second year.

Legion

lukealfredwhite said:
Hey guys,

A little off-topic, but could you comment on the advisability of studying a bit during the summer after MS-1? I understand there's a high correlation between one's physiology grades and USMLE score...If someone (me, for example!) has a summer free in which he plans to do nothing, do you think that hitting the physiology/biochem/neuro areas over summer will help lighten the prep load later on, or will it be too early to be productive?

Thanks for your help!

In my opinion, way too early and a waste of time. Studying "a little bit" isn't going to have much effect on what you do a year from now. It's not likely to stick with you the entire year. I'd doubt that even doing a full-blown 4 week study schedule a year in advance would be beneficial.

I've never heard the physiology/Step 1 correlation and from personal experience, it didn't hold. Med school myth? Propaganda from test prep companies?

You're better off using this time to do research or something else that will bolster your CV.

I studied for 5 weeks/6-8hrs per day and scored >230. Maybe I just have limited storage capacity but the stuff I studied during the first week was drifting away by the start of week 5. I think the best plan of action is to read/study for your classes 1st and 2nd year <as you normally would>. Don't bother studying between 1-2nd year....a summer research/community service project will be MUCH better on your resume come ERAS application time. IMHO pick an time frame where you can devote 4 +/- 2 weeks to the cramfest that is studying for Step I at the end of 2nd year. You will figure out which books/studying refs work for you the best... just make sure it includes questions banks and texts. And another thing I learned...studying in groups every once in a while can help you find areas where you might be weak/strong compared to classmates. Plus it breaks up the monotony. If you need a study schedule to keep you on track go for it, just remember that everyone has different areas of strength (depending on your own skills and areas of emphasis in med school, i.e. my med school is neuro CRAZY but cardio weak...so for me I needed more cards studying time).

This too will pass.......in the meantime try to have fun :)