2 months remaining for PCAT..advice

Started by mbabbas84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mbabbas84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's up everyone...

The June PCAT is 2 months away; I just did my first practice pcat exam from the KAPLAN 2007 edition, and i did ALRIGHT... okay..so so... whatever.. basically i know that i have to BUCKLE down and hit the books like carazie for the next 2 months (only).. the resources that i am using for preparing for Pcat are the KAPLAN 2007 edition book, Barron's MCAT 10th edition to give me a good boost in BIO, I also have Collins material and finally I am using this book I found by KAPLAN (MAT-Miller ANAlogies Test) I was thinking of using this one for english, cause it has many analogies and vocab I should memorize..

Has anyone studied 2 months before the pcat? What did you do? How much time do you think I should spend per day? Any comments or any advice on what i should do will be GREATLY 🙂 appreciated....

PLEASE.... any adVICE for someOne loST and ConFused!!! 😕😕😕😱😱
Thanks..
 
Hello, I plan to take PCAT in August. I heard the Kaplan covers the Bio section pretty well, so I don't see why you would get another book just to emphasize Bio even further. I heard that Kaplan covers math and organic pretty weakly, so I suggest separate books for those such as schuam's or cliff notes. As for the vocab I think your pick is pretty decent(have not heard of Kaplan MAT). Most people suggest looking at SAT Vocab for verbal. I plan on studying at least 8 hours everyday with a few breaks in between starting sometime in June. Just try and study as much as you can before the test, but try not to burn yourself out. 👍
 
I'm also taking the June exam and started 3 weeks ago with the Kaplan book. It took me 2 weeks for bio, a day for math, and a week for chem with about 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours at night weekdays only. The bio section is good, but the math and chem sections are weak.

For bio, I also reviewed my notes from anat, physio, and micro because there wasn't much covered.

For math, I borrowed algebra, precalc, and trig reviews (Schaum or Cliff's is good) from the library just to practice on more problems and go over topics not covered, especially stats and trig...there's no trig in Kaplan.

For chem, I'm studying from my notes and doing problems from reviews (again Schaum and Cliff's).

For verbal, yesterday I bought Kaplan's GRE exam verbal workbook for $20. It has lots of quizzes and tests on sentence completion, analogies, and antonyms. It also has a section on reading comprehension and vocabulary builder with root words, prefixes, and suffixes. Also, someone posted somewhere on this board a link to high frequency words, which I'm also studying.

For reading comprehension, I've ordered the Examkrackers 101 passages in MCAT verbal reasoning. I'm also studying with my friend's old MCAT books for reading comp.

I've notice with taking the practice tests for math and chem, I really need to practice how to use logic and process of elimination before deciding to work out the problem or else I run out of time. I also ordered the Cliff's 5 practice PCAT exams and will purchase Pearson's practice exam, to hone in on test-taking speed.

If you're starting now, don't get stuck worrying, just get on it now. And for the times when you're just not feeling motivated, think how awful you'd feel sitting at the exam wishing you hadn't slacked off. You can do it! You'll be fine.

Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm going to start studying today for the pcat.
it's just hard because i have 2 finals this week and 4 finals next week. then i'm taking microbio for 3 weeks (6 hours a day). i barely have time to study for one of the most important tests of my life.
 
This is the link that was posted in this thread. I hope the hyperlink works.

When you click on link, then click on List/Edit Flashcards. The whole list of words should come up.

Good luck!
 
What's up everyone...

The June PCAT is 2 months away; I just did my first practice pcat exam from the KAPLAN 2007 edition, and i did ALRIGHT... okay..so so... whatever.. basically i know that i have to BUCKLE down and hit the books like carazie for the next 2 months (only).. the resources that i am using for preparing for Pcat are the KAPLAN 2007 edition book, Barron's MCAT 10th edition to give me a good boost in BIO, I also have Collins material and finally I am using this book I found by KAPLAN (MAT-Miller ANAlogies Test) I was thinking of using this one for english, cause it has many analogies and vocab I should memorize..

Has anyone studied 2 months before the pcat? What did you do? How much time do you think I should spend per day? Any comments or any advice on what i should do will be GREATLY 🙂 appreciated....

PLEASE.... any adVICE for someOne loST and ConFused!!! 😕😕😕😱😱
Thanks..

How much you need to study depends on how much you remember from your classes. I didn't get serious about studying until about three weeks before my exam. And then I didn't study as much as I thought I would. The internet would lure me away.

Since you still have two months, I would start with the material that you have no clue about and get exposure to it. The more time you have to review it over and over, the easier it will be to remember it on test day. Your practice pcat should point you in the right direction. Make sure you review material that you already learned because it will go out of your head again if you don't.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time studying vocab. You can study hundreds of words and only see three or four on the test. Your time would be better spent on other parts of the test that is more likely to come up.
 
What's up everyone...

The June PCAT is 2 months away; I just did my first practice pcat exam from the KAPLAN 2007 edition, and i did ALRIGHT... okay..so so... whatever.. basically i know that i have to BUCKLE down and hit the books like carazie for the next 2 months (only).. the resources that i am using for preparing for Pcat are the KAPLAN 2007 edition book, Barron's MCAT 10th edition to give me a good boost in BIO, I also have Collins material and finally I am using this book I found by KAPLAN (MAT-Miller ANAlogies Test) I was thinking of using this one for english, cause it has many analogies and vocab I should memorize..

Has anyone studied 2 months before the pcat? What did you do? How much time do you think I should spend per day? Any comments or any advice on what i should do will be GREATLY 🙂 appreciated....

PLEASE.... any adVICE for someOne loST and ConFused!!! 😕😕😕😱😱
Thanks..

Look at the practice test questions that you missed. Why did you miss them? Go back in the Kaplan book and find the related sections. Make sure you understand this material. Don't rely on Kaplan to TEACH it to you. If you don't understand it, go back to your old text for that course and read the relevant section. Then take another practice test. Also, take practice tests on little sleep or with distractions going on in the room. Then, when you are well-rested and focused, you will do that much better. Approach this systematically. Study smarter, not harder!