2 more math questions

Started by ATLATLATL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ATLATLATL

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if log2=A and log3=B then log six is?
a+b
a-b
a*b
a/b
a^b

answer is a+b
i would've thought a*b

oh and the other question is...

with one fair die, find the probability of throwing two fours in five attempts?
 
if log2=A and log3=B then log six is?
a+b
a-b
a*b
a/b
a^b

answer is a+b
i would've thought a*b

oh and the other question is...

with one fair die, find the probability of throwing two fours in five attempts?


I cant really explain this, but I know how it works, so let me illustrate.

Log X + Log Y= Log(XY) likewise Log X - Log Y= Log(X/Y)

These are just properties of LOGARITHMS.

Q: if log2=A and log3=B then log six is?

A: log 6= log2 + log3=log(2*3)=log6 which is the same as a=3;b=3--> ab.
 
\

with one fair die, find the probability of throwing two fours in five attempts?



Would this a binomial probablity because probability of sucess equals 1-probability oif failure. The reason is because there is only two choices; rolling a 4 or not rolling a 4:

Since you have 1/6 chances of throwing 4 and 5/6 chance of throwing anything but 4.

Since, you want 2 4s in 5 attenpts, you do the following:


(1/6*1/6*5/6*5/6*5/6 )*10 (I got 10 from 5C2)

*plz correct me if I am wrong
 
Would this a binomial probablity because probability of sucess equals 1-probability oif failure. The reason is because there is only two choices; rolling a 4 or not rolling a 4:

Since you have 1/6 chances of throwing 4 and 5/6 chance of throwing anything but 4.

Since, you want 2 4s in 5 attenpts, you do the following:


(1/6*1/6*5/6*5/6*5/6 )*10 (I got 10 from 5C2)

*plz correct me if I am wrong

Want two 4s in 5 tries.

5 choose 2 - picks the two throws that will be a 4.
(1/6)^2 - odds of throwing two 4s.
(5/6)^3 - odds of throwing three non-4s.

10*(1/36)*(125/216) = 1250/7776 = (625/3888) = 0.16075

So 16.075%.

Correct, LS.
 
I cant really explain this, but I know how it works, so let me illustrate.

Log X + Log Y= Log(XY) likewise Log X - Log Y= Log(X/Y)

These are just properties of LOGARITHMS.
Start with: X * Y
= 10^(Log X) * 10^(Log Y) <-- 10^(Log X) = Log(10^X) = X
= 10^(Log X + Log Y) <-- A^X * A^Y = A^(X+Y)

So we have XY = 10^(Log X + Log Y).
Take the Log of both sides:

Log(XY) = Log(10^(Log X + Log Y)
Log(XY) = Log X + Log Y

Try it for Log(X/Y).