2 or 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incognito12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright. I'm debating whether or not I should finish my pre-reqs in 2 years, or take an extra year to finish up what I need to finish? I know the schools would probably prefer 2 because it shows you can handle a heavy workload.

The problem I've run into is this: I started taking all the pre-reqs based solely on one university's list of pre-reqs. To be able to apply to any other schools, I will need to take a few additional classes to meet their requirements. There is no possible way I can fit these other classes in with the list of pre-reqs I'm going by, so applying to any other schools besides this university will be almost impossible. Would I be better off just stretching my classes out over 3 years? This would allow me to get a better GPA too because I wouldn't be so rushed to take all these classes.

I would rather apply this year, and I will to this university, but it's not very likely I'll get in here :(

Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should def do 3 years, since most of the school's pre req's require so much now that it's sort of impossible to do them in normal (non-summer) terms. I think you should take your time, take all the courses and then apply... that way you will learn better, you will have a better GPA and will be more experienced in the learning to study (if you know what I mean).

I think it's better to show the school that yes you can handle the courses and do well and you're not in this rush to just get done with school and get out and start working. You have to be patient and work hard! Good luck! :)

Schools don't care if you take 2 or 3 years to do your pre-reqs. Do whatever you feel like will get you the best grades, so if that means doing them in three, then do them in three. And yes, if you wanted to apply broadly it would be smart to look at the other school's requirements and try to get some of those courses completed in that 3rd year of pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
and instead of taking summer classes, I think it's better to work or volunteer to improve your application. You need to be well rounded and you can't if you're gonna go nuts with all these classes in 2 yrs! you should try and get some work experience during summer!!

But in all fairness, you can take summer classes and get experience at the same time. I will be taking a full load of summer courses, work part-time in a retail pharmacy, and continue to volunteer once a week at a pharmacy hospital.

I also don't intend to sleep :D

Stretch it to 3 years and take some upper level biology, biochemistry, or chemistry courses to better prepare you for pharmacy school.

I would do it in the shortest time I could, just to get it over with! haha. But, honestly it may be impossible since so many classes have 3-4 hours labs, that its hard to actually fit classes into your schedule. Plus, if youre planning on Ochem being one of these prereq classes, and even A&P, those classes are gonna take a lot of time for studying... so make sure you think about it or withdrawl before you get a bad grade! Good luck!!:luck::luck:

K thanks guys. Three years is what I was leaning towards, but I just wasn't sure. It will definitely take a lot of the pressure off that I could feel mounting up. This upcoming fall I was going to try and squeeze Ochem, A&P, Bio 2, and Spanish all in. That wasn't looking too appealing.

Just curious though... would it be a good idea to go ahead and take the PCAT this fall anyways? Just to get familiar with the format and content. Then re-take it the following year when I plan on applying?

Three years works for a lot of people, but what I would suggest that you keep on the two year path and get the pre-reqs done for the one school you want to go to and just apply early decision and see what happens. If you get in, GREAT! If not, take the remaining pre-reqs the 3rd year and reapply to more schools the next year.
I'm in my second year and I was accepted to UK for the fall, and have taken only their required classes. If I had not gotten in this year, I would have take classes to allow me to apply to more schools.
I know it seems rushed, but in pharmacy school, you will be required to handle a lot of tough classes at once, so you might as well prepare with making the undergrad class load challenging!
Just my two cents!! Good Luck with what ever you decide!!

I took 3 years to finish mine, just taking a few at a time every semester. It means I haven't had a summer break in 3 years but I finished with better grades than most :)

At my interview I was asked about the low workload but then I mentioned I did it while working full time in a retail pharmacy and it was apparently a good enough answer.