2 Q's: Personal Statement + Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitney06

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did people write about for their AMCAS personal statements? Also, how'd you answer the "tell me about yourself" and "name your biggest flaw" interview questions?
I know it's a bit early to start getting worried abt these things, but my school's career services advisors are like freaking Nazis, and we already have to submit our 1st drafts and do mock interviews. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I have read more personal statements than I probably want to. IMO, the absolute worst ones have been the ones that try to explain away the weaknesses in the application. In theory, you might think that it would bring your application to a higher level, but in my experience, it doesn't.

The best personal statements are the ones that make the interviewer or admissions personnel feel really good about you and want to get to know you through an interview. This can be accomplished primarily through emphasizing your dedication/motivation to medicine &/or emphasizing your strengths that will make you a good physician. We can totally see through the BS of listing the traits you have heard that adcoms are looking for, but a far flung, crazy essay can be worse.

Keep it simple and write honestly.

As for the interview, the "tell me about yourself" question is always very interesting b/c sometimes you can get a lot of information about the person through their answer. Most people answer w/ the undergrad, major, blah blah...stuff that is already on the application that we are looking at when we are interviewing you. Tell us something personal...a couple of your hobbies, pets, etc. Interview questions are most of the time to assess your ability to "think on your feet." This doesn't mean that you have to answer immediately after the question is asked, but once you start speaking, be confident and in control.

My $.02...hope it helps