2 questions before interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lonely star

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a little bit late in the cycle but I had some circumstances that prevented me from applying earlier. I have 2 questions if you can help me with:

1) I am divorced and have joint custody and can't leave Texas so I applied to 2 optometry schools only. Do I have to mention that during the interview if they ask why did you choose our school? I don't want to seem like ( I have no other choice) and at the same time, I want them to know they are my only option.

2)I applied to medical school last year but didn't get accepted and changed my mind and chose optometry. I didn't mention that in my application. Would they know that? would it affect me badly if they knew?
Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

1) You can control the narrative, but you do not need to go into more details. I would rather focus on why professionally you want to stay in Texas. If you have a chance to share anything else not on your application, you can disclose this there, and administrators will handle this information with appropriate care (presumably).

2) OptomCAS and the other CASes do not talk to each other. If you never matriculated, it won't be a problem. I'm sure you aren't the only person.

I also strongly suggest you reach out to the admissions professionals at the schools before you begin your application. If you are uncomfortable, find the student leaders of the American Optometric Student Association (AOSA) if they can give you suggestions.