1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

2 questions regarding step 1

Discussion in 'Step I' started by phorensic, May 12, 2007.

1. phorensic

phorensic SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. How bad is the time constraint in this test? With the MCAT, i had to bubble in C's for the last 5-10 questions on each section. I still did decent (31), but I am hoping that the step 1 isnt nearly as bad as far as time constraint goes. Has anyone here experienced problems finishing the MCAT in a timely manner, but were able to finish all the questions in step 1?

2. Does anybody know someone who has taken step 1 at least one or more years after M2 year (i.e. finished M2, did 1 year of research while reviewing for step 1, then took step one after research year/before M3)? This is my plan for the future, but I don't know if a lot of you relied on recent knowledge from school in order to do well on the exam. Is this plan good or bad?

Thanks!

-Seth

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RockShox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since I am currently having insomnia issues I will answer your post.

If you have issues with time then you may have time issues. It is all relative. I finished up each 50 question set with 20-30 minutes to spare for review. But I am very quick at these types of tests. The best way to judge is to do a timed NBME practice test and see if you lag. I think for most they have 5-10 minutes of extra time when they are done.

Second, I think the best time to take Step 1 is after 2nd year. You WILL use that knowledge bank deep in your brain that you do not know is there. And that bank has a short half-life. I would take the test before research. If you don't it is not a crisis you will just have to be VERY good about reviewing and not letting your brain get filled up with junk.

4. Freshnstylin

Freshnstylin Member
    7+ Year Member

why are you worried about this now? From the looks of your online profile it says you won't be applying to medschool until 2008?

5. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

In my experience Step I must be taken prior to a year or multiple years (MD/PhD) of research. Thus you'll take it after your M2 year like everyone else.

6. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You have to go through the questions pretty quickly, 60 minutes per 50 questions.

7. phorensic

Attending Physician
    No, it must only be taken prior to your M3 year. So it doesn't matter how much of a break you take after your 1st or 2nd years. You simply cannot enter your M3 year without passing step 1.

Did anyone else have timing issues on the MCAT but not on the step 1?

8. phorensic

Attending Physician

No, that was an old mdapp profile i made last year. I am graduating a year early, and was initially planning on taking a year off (this year) to do research, but I instead applied for the hell of it to see if I could get in and not have to wait, and I luckily got into my state school in April. It says "app year: 2008" because you are supposed to put down the year you were planning on entering med school. change that to 2007.

9. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Lol I'm not going to argue with you. My program requires step 1 at the completion of 2nd year. This is how all of my friends in other MSTP (UCLA/Cal Tech, Wisconsin, Wash U, Cornell, MCW, Case, Harvard/MIT, Hopkins) programs have done it as well. Perhaps your program is the exception.

Regarding your timing issue. It's usually not an issue with Step 1 as there aren't long prompts to read. The question is skimmed and the answer is either known or not.

10. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Regardless of your institution's rules, I highly recommend against taking it at the end of a research year. You will never know as much about basic science as you do at the end of MS2 year, and you don't want an impending test to ruin a wonderful year of relaxation and research.

11. strawberry1

Medical Student