2 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson

What up Smokey!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could those of you who have taken the DAT's help me with these two questions...
1. Do I need to know anything about plants for the bio section? The DAT topics outlined in their registration booklet does not mention it (except the five kingdom classification).
2. How did you all approach the top-front-end questions? I just can't seem to get it... any hints will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

44 views and no replies. :(

I'll try and help out here.

1) You answered your question already. Just know what's on the DAT Resgitration booklet topics. If you take a look at the Kaplan DAT Prep Book (found in any bookstore), there is a section that goes into detail on plants. I would study this, but FYI, I don't believe I had a question on plants on my exam.

2) top-front-end? Are you talking about the PAT section? If so, like all the other PAT sections, the best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. I used the Barron's prep book to give me some tips on the PAT section. I found it fairly helpful.

Also, like any other question on the DAT, you will find patterns in the types of questions you get wrong THE MORE YOU PRACTICE. You should always find out why you got a question wrong and figure out the right answer. The more you do this, the better you can recognize the question type and hopefully, by the time you get to the actual exam, you'll know exactly how to tackle the problem. good luck!

I had several questions about plants on my DAT (which just goes to show the variation from exam to exam). I had a question regarding photosynthesis, one regarding the stomates and one regarding mono/dicotyl stuff.

Good luck with your exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
Top end front,

LINES LINES LINES!!! Just match up all the lines that are obvious! That will pretty much help eliminate the wrong ones first. (usually the front to end comparison are easier to spot) Then it is easier to compare the possible answers. This method of elimination first helped me out a lot.

I think i got the same test as gavin. I had a lot of questions regarding embryonic development. Also a question regarding the layers of the epidermis. But, plant taxonomy was not an big issue. Its pretty much by chance. You can only study so much. The more material you study, the more prepared you are.

I didn't have a single question from plants ... mine was mostly genetics and ecology....
For the PAT part look at the two planes that are given for example front and top and try to match them with one of the multiple choices... match the LINES!!!!! that's all you need to do.

I also did not have a single plant question. I had a lot of questions on ecology, evolution, and a few on genetics

I took the dat a bit-o-time ago but I remember a plant question about ferns/sori.

Matt

I recall six ( yes, that is 6 ) specific questions on respiration, like the Krebs/Calvin Cycle, electron transport system, etc.

I didn't know the answers to those questions. And whenever I don't know something, I REALLY get them wrong, even if it is a two-choice question.

NONE of those DAT test prep books and software puts emphasis on respiration, and I blame them for misleading me and killling my otherwise formidable biology score. In fact, the entire biology section was the hardest of the whole test.

you all rock.. thanks for the replies.
I still have no idea how to 'match up the lines' -- maybe it is a Kaplan class technique coz it's not in the big red book. I might also be 3-d blind in which case my dental career is doomed. ah well can't help that now. I am really sick of studying for the exam and come what may I AM TAKING IT ON 25 OCT. I will surely post my experiences esp. for those who might be studying on their own.
peace out :cool:

You might encounter this question on the DAT

FERNS

A: Evolved later than conifers
B: Are a subclass of fungi
C: Are monocotyledons
D: Include a wonderful person found at Nova Dental School.

I believe the correct answer is D.