2 quick questions of Thyroid and Bone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) On physio questions where the answer choices are arrows. do T3 and T4 always move in the same direction? Lets say somone has hyperthyroidism, so T3 is increased and TSH decreased (b/c of neg feedback). would T4 also increase. is there conditions i should know about where T3 and T4 go opposite

2) In Achondroplasia. Are the length of leg bones smaller ? and is there is a absence of articular cartilage ?

Members don't see this ad.

1) On physio questions where the answer choices are arrows. do T3 and T4 always move in the same direction? Lets say somone has hyperthyroidism, so T3 is increased and TSH decreased (b/c of neg feedback). would T4 also increase. is there conditions i should know about where T3 and T4 go opposite

2) In Achondroplasia. Are the length of leg bones smaller ? and is there is a absence of articular cartilage ?
1) Euthyroid sickness syndrome. Iodine deficiency + Graves.
2) Yes. Don't know.

From memory I think the problem in achondroplasia isnt making cartilage as in articular cartilage , but the cartilage that is used in the endochondral ossification process which lengthens long bones ( mostly femur , humerus ) , thats why you get small appendages with regular torso/head that looks oversized

Also memorizing values like that in diseases seems way counter-productive.. What if you mix them up and lose an easy q? Just learn how the normal loop works and infer from that based on pathophys of each disease , i.e. giving T3 Tx leads to high serum T3 , but supresses TSH which in turn supresses Thyroid and you get High T3/Low T4/Low TSH

@Jabbed I think that in Graves you get low TSH , high T3/High T4 , just T3 is more greatly increased , its not like they go opposite

Edit: Now I see that you put Iodine def+Graves as combo , mistake on my part

Last edited:
giving T3 Tx leads to high serum T3 , but supresses TSH which in turn supresses Thyroid and you get High T3/Low T4/Low TSH

so T3 cant convert to T4 ?

what if u give T4 treatment