2 week aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dark horse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since aways are so important, why not do more aways for less time? I think you would be able to get an adequate look at the school and show them who you are as an applicant. Plus, if you realize that you don't like the school then you don't have to stick it out for a month. The only disadvantage that I see is that you may not get to know as many people there or be as likely to get a good LOR if you were hoping for one. But, I think you could get a good feel for a program. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You list valid points. However, many may also ask the question, if he/she wants to go here, why only spend 2 weeks? Also, at least for me, it took a good week to really get to know the place and get comfortable with everyone. Some programs are huge, many hospitals are complicated, and of course it takes a bit to get to know the computer systems. 2 weeks may be good if you can't do a whole month (scheduling conflicts).

Also, very importantly, your school most likely will not count 2 week aways as full electives (and won't count 2-2 week aways as one elective either), and they may go to waste. Even though you do these aways to get a foot in the door, they also serve as credit. My school requires 4 months of electives, so I needed my 3 full aways to count.

sscooterguy

Thanks for the heads up on electives, I hadn't thought about that. Your other point is that it may show less interest or commitment to a program. Is that really the purpose of the away? Sure, it shows that you want to go there, but I would think that they are more concerned about choosing someone they know they will like working with, and if you can make your selection from rotators, you are more likely to accomplish this. Any school that chooses solely from intereviewees runs a risk that the applicant is just putting on a good face for the day. In my minds eye, they want to see if you will work hard, if they like working with you, and if you're everything you say you are on paper. As the rotator, you want to see if the program is what it is represented to be and if it will be a good fit for you. Is this possible in two weeks?

I would say this is true, you can do this in 2 weeks, IF you are the type of person that can make a good impression right off the bat. I didn't do any short rotations, but I have friends that did 1 week visits. They said it worked out well, but we'll see on match day I guess. Showing up for 1 or 2 weeks is definately better than not rotating at all.

You can try to do as many short visits as you like, but for me personally, a 3-4 weeks was perfect to not only show that I work well on their team, but also to see all of the good and bad of the program itself too. I did 3 rotations. 2 programs had me do 2 week rotations on separate services. 1 program had me do 4 different services. I think it was nice to get to work with a lot of different people. It definately worked out during interviews when they knew me.

Hopefully others chime in about their short rotating experiences. Good luck.

sscooterguy