2 Week PM&R Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jleebo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third-year medical student interested in a possible career in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Does anyone know of any programs that offer 2 Week clinical rotations for medical students instead of the usual 4 week clinical rotations? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who matched today!! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did 2wks at UC Davis-Sacramento

I am a third-year medical student interested in a possible career in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Does anyone know of any programs that offer 2 Week clinical rotations for medical students instead of the usual 4 week clinical rotations? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who matched today!! Thanks in advance!

UMDNJ / KIR but they may be wary of writing you a letter after 2 weeks only.

Members don't see this ad :)
that isn't enough time to see some real good rehab. you need to do a month. especially if you do TBI or SCI.

I know Northwestern students do 2wk electives at RIC (well, it's not really an elective because it's mandatory...) so I would think it would be feasible.

i think that Magee is worth a try. i tried to rotate as an MSIV, but Jefferson Medical College was very strict about only rotating during their specific time frame. only during my second look was i told by the residents that if you contact the chief residents they will work out a rotation at Magee for you whenever you want. in general though, i think you should do at least a month to see what it's all about. i recommend two weeks inpatient, one week consults, one week inpatient/msk. and then if you like it, later on incorporate peds rehab into another rotation, and more outpatient experience.

I did 2 weeks at Kessler this year (even though I wish I had done a month). It was a great experience. I learned so much in 2 weeks and also had the opportunity to see what the program was about. I had a very nice letter written for me and I ended up matching there (my 1st choice). I would highly recommend it!

I have two questions about away rotations:

1. Do you pay tuition at the school you visit?

2. Where do you stay for the 2 weeks/ 1 month?

I did 2 weeks at Kessler this year (even though I wish I had done a month). It was a great experience. I learned so much in 2 weeks and also had the opportunity to see what the program was about. I had a very nice letter written for me and I ended up matching there (my 1st choice). I would highly recommend it!

Did you do inpatient or outpatient? I'm thinking about doing the same 2 weeks. Did you have trouble finding housing?

Thanks!