2 Week PM&R Clinical Rotations

Started by jleebo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jleebo

New Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a third-year medical student interested in a possible career in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Does anyone know of any programs that offer 2 Week clinical rotations for medical students instead of the usual 4 week clinical rotations? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who matched today!! Thanks in advance!
 
I am a third-year medical student interested in a possible career in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Does anyone know of any programs that offer 2 Week clinical rotations for medical students instead of the usual 4 week clinical rotations? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who matched today!! Thanks in advance!

UMDNJ / KIR but they may be wary of writing you a letter after 2 weeks only.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that isn't enough time to see some real good rehab. you need to do a month. especially if you do TBI or SCI.
 
I am a third-year medical student interested in a possible career in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Does anyone know of any programs that offer 2 Week clinical rotations for medical students instead of the usual 4 week clinical rotations? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who matched today!! Thanks in advance!

I know Northwestern students do 2wk electives at RIC (well, it's not really an elective because it's mandatory...) so I would think it would be feasible.
 
i think that Magee is worth a try. i tried to rotate as an MSIV, but Jefferson Medical College was very strict about only rotating during their specific time frame. only during my second look was i told by the residents that if you contact the chief residents they will work out a rotation at Magee for you whenever you want. in general though, i think you should do at least a month to see what it's all about. i recommend two weeks inpatient, one week consults, one week inpatient/msk. and then if you like it, later on incorporate peds rehab into another rotation, and more outpatient experience.
 
I did 2 weeks at Kessler this year (even though I wish I had done a month). It was a great experience. I learned so much in 2 weeks and also had the opportunity to see what the program was about. I had a very nice letter written for me and I ended up matching there (my 1st choice). I would highly recommend it!
 
I have two questions about away rotations:

1. Do you pay tuition at the school you visit?

2. Where do you stay for the 2 weeks/ 1 month?
 
I did 2 weeks at Kessler this year (even though I wish I had done a month). It was a great experience. I learned so much in 2 weeks and also had the opportunity to see what the program was about. I had a very nice letter written for me and I ended up matching there (my 1st choice). I would highly recommend it!

Did you do inpatient or outpatient? I'm thinking about doing the same 2 weeks. Did you have trouble finding housing?

Thanks!