2 week PM&R Elective at other institution is useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amogh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all. As most of the people in this forum, I have just started my Senior Year at Medical School. Here is my great dilemma. I took my USMLE Step 2 during the 2nd week of August, but there seemed to be some delay and I still don't know my result status. Anyway, I am currently finishing my last Clerkship of 3rd year (Psychiatry), and I have only done 2 weeks of PM&R at a VA hospital. I have scheduled a 1 month PM&R elective at my institution for the month of October. This elective, however, will be interrupted during the 2nd week of october, since I will be going to texas to take a prep for the Stp 2 CS (1 week duration- Falcon Review). I will then come back and do the remaining three weeks. This means that I will have finished my clerkship by the end of the 1st week of November. Also, I will be taking the Step 2 CS on the 2nd week of November. As a result, I will only have the last 2 weeks of this month free for carrying an elective. My question is: Will this do more harm than benefit if I am considering a Residency chance at that institution? I have already been accepted into UVA for the month of December and I am "almost" done with the paper work for acceptance into Univ. Texas Health Science Center for the month of January. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Attentively, Amogh

Members don't see this ad.

So to summarize, you have done
2 wks of PM&R at a VA
1month at home institution
2months away elective

for a total of 3 and a half months of PM&R electives, right? I think that is quite enough.

When were you going to go on interviews? I noticed your two away electives are during peak interview season. I would definitely keep the last 2wks of november for interviews - depending on the number of PM&R programs, prelim/transitional programs you are planning on applying to, you will need to squeeze those in at some point btwn now and february.

The other concern is getting the letters of recommendations. December and January would be quite late to add LORs to your application. Are you able to secure at least one or two from your home institution?

Just a thought...