2 weeks on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnted_out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
hi Hospitalist friends!
I’m looking for those of you who work either 7on/7 off or 2 weeks on/2 off. How many hours per day do you work? Is it tolerable? Are you exhausted?
I’m not in IM but looking into a job in my field that might have this schedule and looking for others to give me some pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I don't like doing anymore than 5-6 days at a time. I really start to feel burned out by the end of a long block. My old job would sometimes have us working 8-10 days in a row and I hated it. I think 4-5 day blocks is ideal IMO.
There are people who prefer longer blocks though, mostly because they like longer blocks off as well. You just have to see how you'll handle it. Depending on the institution and the type of shift, 14 days straight may be absolutely brutal. Other places, not so much. Depends on a lot of factors.

Having both worked as a resident and as a fellow for two weeks straight on an inpatient rotation - never ever again

Members don't see this ad :)
I think how tolerable these types of schedules are really dependent on the work flow. Are there separate admitting and rounding shifts? Are you expected to stay in house for your full shift or can you round and bounce? Etc

I think how tolerable these types of schedules are really dependent on the work flow. Are there separate admitting and rounding shifts? Are you expected to stay in house for your full shift or can you round and bounce? Etc

Well I am not IM to clarify so no I do not stay in house. I admit and round on patients and admissions come through the day not at night. I also have a hospitalist hat helps manage medical problems. I simply ask here because IM most typically does these types of shifts.

Two weeks on for an guaranteed two weeks off is something I might seriously consider.

But I hate myself. I do pulmonary and critical care.

Well I am not IM to clarify so no I do not stay in house. I admit and round on patients and admissions come through the day not at night. I also have a hospitalist hat helps manage medical problems. I simply ask here because IM most typically does these types of shifts.

Ah I see, sorry I glossed over that in your original post. I think if you’re not in the hospital for 12 hours/day each day that you are on and the patient load isn’t stressful for you it can be tolerable for a lot longer than other set ups.

Two weeks on for an guaranteed two weeks off is something I might seriously consider.

But I hate myself. I do pulmonary and critical care.

Yeah I am seriously considering this. I am not in something as stressful as you there’s no way I could do it with a hard core specialty like that. But I’m thinking that given the lower stress of my field it might be doable - do 12 hrs where I’m physically at hospital like 7-5 and then a few hours of call and round on weekend for 2 weeks off

Reactions: 1 user