2 Ws in transcripts with context. Is this a big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RNpremed_Nontrad

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have 2 Ws in my transcript. One is history class in my Sophomore year (2019 Fall semester) and another is Calculus class in my post graduation year (2022 Fall). I am planning on applying in 2025 cycle.

Here are contexts for Ws:

History W: At the time I was an international student (F-1 student visa) and I registered wrong class types which violated student visa rule. I was notified of this after fall break. Thus, to maintain my visa, I had to add on 6 credit hours on top of what I was already taking, which made my credit hour go from 12 to 18. I knew I would not be able to ace all classes, so I decided to drop history class. I took the same course in the following semester and got an A.

Calculus W: Similar situation, at the time, I was in the middle of the immigration process. A local hospital I was working for as a nurse was sponsoring my immigration. During this process, I had to stop working and re-enroll in school as a full-time student for legal purpose. The plan was: attend school as a full-time student until immigration gets finished and return to work. Thankfully, well in this case, unfortunately, the immigration got processed a lot quicker than the hospital and I expected. We expected the process to take at least 6 months, but it only took 3 months. Hence, I was required to return to hospital as a full-time ICU nurse in the middle of the semester. I determined that I would not be able to work and study full time, and ace all courses; so, I withdrew from calculus class.

What do you think? Do these Ws will become issues when I apply? If so, what should I do? If not, where can I explain my Ws? Please be brutally honest.
 
Last edited: