2 Year CC --> 2 Year State University Route

Started by iGolf
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iGolf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently starting my second year in Community College (I was going to be an RN up until 2 months ago.) I picked up new classes to go along with my new major, so I may need to stay at CC for an extra semester. (Making it 4.5 years for my undergrad) My question is, will this adversely affect my chances of getting into medical school? i.e. Do admissions committees frown upon 2 year CC / 2 year State transfer students?

Since I just decided to change my major, I am still learning a lot about what getting into Med school entails, but I feel like I'm picking it up little by little.

My background:

I work at a hospital now on the Cardiac Monitoring - Med Surg floor as a CNA.

GPA is around 3.7-3.8

I have not taken the ACT/SAT (I was going to get my RN at a CC so I didn't need these, does this matter?)

I'm focusing on taking the basic pre-med classes right now at CC which are:

1 year Biology (w/ lab)
1 year Inorganic Chemistry (w/ lab)
1 year English

After this, I plan to transfer to the U of MN and take my

1 year Organic Chemistry (w/ lab)
1 year Physics (w/ lab)
and 1 year Calculus


I apologize for such a long post, but I guess it kind of introduces me to the forum at the same time.

Thanks all, I look forward to the responses.
 
You'll be fine. I know plenty of people that went to a cc and then transferred;
 
hey iGolf,

Welcome to SDN! I have a similar background as yourself. I went to CC for 2.5 years, because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do as well as financial difficulties. I transferred to my state university (UC Davis), but unlike yourself, I will finish in 4 years with 2 minors! 🙂

Your background sounds very solid for preparing for medical school. Remember to aim for A's in those pre-med courses. Also depending on your major, I recommend taking a few upper division science courses when you are at your state school. A few med schools (e.g Boston U) frown on CC courses...so if you took upper division classes it shows you are prepared for med school. Some courses I recommend are biochemistry, genetics, and anatomy.

Keep up your GPA and make sure to do well on the MCAT. The ACT/SAT is not a requirement so you do not have to take those, unless your state school requires it....highly unlikely though.

I know this is a long post...but one last piece of advice is enjoy your life while preparing for medical school! Participate in extracurricular activities that interest you along with volunteer, clinical, and research experience.

Good luck! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your replies, it's good to know that CC won't hurt me. I do plan on taking some higher level sciences, I don't know what I am going to major in, but most likely a chemistry type major.
 
Most transfer students who report back on the forums after they have been accepted, have stated that no one even brought up their CC classes during interviews.

You have received good advice above. As long as you maintain that solid GPA following transfer, take upper division science classes, and do well on the MCAT, you'll be fine.

It's also very common for students who switch majors and/or transfer schools to need an extra semester in order to complete the requirements for their new major.