2-year gap: What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yokiguz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian looking to apply to US-MD schools in June 2021. I was wondering what I should be doing until then as I am graduating this summer. Unfortunately I don't have the pre-reqs to apply this year so I will be applying next year (doing courses over the coming summer and fall semesters).

Here are my current stats: GPA: 3.95, MCAT: 517 - will need to rewrite (expiring).

ECs:

Employment - Worked at Subway, Worked in a Research Lab, Worked at a chemical synthesis company as an analytical chemist, private tutoring, Worked at STEM summer camp for HS kids

Volunteering - VP of club on campus, Founder of a different club on campus, volunteered at hospital (only 50-ish hours), volunteered in research lab

Other - Weight lifting, computer building, worked at construction company with father, have YT channel (put time in, but not very successful yet), 2 scholarships based off academic performance

Publications - 2 journal articles (3rd author, and late author), 1 abstract

Shadowing - 75 hours of FM shadowing

My question is what should I do for the next year. I had 3 clinical volunteering positions ready for this summer but COVID-19 axed them all. After we recover from COVID-19 I'm not sure what I should be doing with my time aside from studying for the MCAT and taking my pre-req classes. I'll continute to tutor to pay back my student loans but any ideas?

Thank you for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a clinical research coordinator for 3 years to gain clinical experience. Wonderful experience that allowed me to establish great relationships with physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as a clinical research coordinator for 3 years to gain clinical experience. Wonderful experience that allowed me to establish great relationships with physicians.

Wow that sounds really great! I looked into it but near me the experience needed looks to be a lot more than what I have. But I will still give it a shot!

Seconding clinical research! I’ve been working as a clinical research assistant during my gap years, and it’s been a great way to get contact with patients and experience working with physicians. If you have previous research experience, you definitely should be able to get a clinical research assistant/coordinator position (at my hospital these positions tend to be pretty similar to each other).

Reactions: 1 users