2-year Hybrid DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTA2DPTgirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read quite a few posts and replies that have negatively talked about South College's hybrid DPT program when it first started. What are everyone's thoughts on the program now that they have been established for a couple years and that two of the top programs in the country, Baylor and USC, have also started a hybrid 2-year DPT program modeled after South College's?

I think the way of the future of education is becoming more and more distant and accelerated in nature, while trying to uphold the highest quality. The DPT program can never be completely online, so these program require travel to the campus for hands on practical training, while online is strictly live lecture with professors and other students via webcam and microphone with access to PowerPoint lectures.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances that would prevent you from doing a traditional program, I would advice against this. I personally couldn't fathom taking [most, but not all] of my DPT coursework off-site, it's simply too much. I also liked being on campus to have access to the library, professors, and peers.

Now, with a change of mindset, I see (via your username) that you're a PTA currently? If your goal is to keep working while going to school, I could see this being done. But make sure you understand that it would be extremely rigorous and difficult to do it this way.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but only do it if you have to/really want to.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend who just completed South College's program and she loved it. She passed the NPTE on her first attempt and was accepted into an orthopedic residency. I also know someone who is about to finish Baylor's hybrid program and he loves it as well. If you feel like it would be a good fit for you, go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did online program with on-site labs and was happy I did it. It gives you flexibility and freedom. It may not be good for people who need to be taught the material vs learning it on their own (nothing is wrong with that). You also have to be well organized and self-motivated to keep up with the schedule since no one is going to remind you about deadlines, exam dates, etc. But you will have a schedule and all you need to do is to follow it and plan accordingly.

I have a friend who just completed South College's program and she loved it. She passed the NPTE on her first attempt and was accepted into an orthopedic residency. I also know someone who is about to finish Baylor's hybrid program and he loves it as well. If you feel like it would be a good fit for you, go for it!
Thank you! I've been a PTA for 4 years now and feel that this is the best program for me with my background and experience of the field, as well as having taken many classes in undergrad at Ohio State in a hybrid and online format. To complete a DPT in 2 years would be amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
I did online program with on-site labs and was happy I did it. It gives you flexibility and freedom. It may not be good for people who need to be taught the material vs learning it on their own (nothing is wrong with that). You also have to be well organized and self-motivated to keep up with the schedule since no one is going to remind you about deadlines, exam dates, etc. But you will have a schedule and all you need to do is to follow it and plan accordingly.
Thank you for your feedback! I feel comfortable in an online and hybrid format for classes and have always been a very self-motivated and type A learner that lives by a schedule.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances that would prevent you from doing a traditional program, I would advice against this. I personally couldn't fathom taking [most, but not all] of my DPT coursework off-site, it's simply too much. I also liked being on campus to have access to the library, professors, and peers.

Now, with a change of mindset, I see (via your username) that you're a PTA currently? If your goal is to keep working while going to school, I could see this being done. But make sure you understand that it would be extremely rigorous and difficult to do it this way.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but only do it if you have to/really want to.
Thanks for your feedback. I have over 4 years of experience as a PTA and have always taken classes in an online and hybrid format throughout undergrad and feel confident in my study techniques of classes that are taught in this format. I would like to work a limited amount of hours as a PTA throughout the program, but understand the accelerated nature of the program will very much so limit how often I can.

I also have a promised PT director position with my company I currently work for as a PTA once I graduate, so if I can accomplish this degree in 2 years versus 3 years, that would be amazing.

Does south college have a white coat ceremony?