2 year master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northside

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you apply while you're in the midst of completing your Master's Degree? For example, if you're in the second year of a 2 year Master's program, can you apply? In this case, you will be finished your Master's before matriculation. Or do you need to be completely finished the Master's degree before you even apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can. It depends if you want to do that. If you are doing good in the masters program and have great test scores then go for it. If not then, it might be better to wait until you finished the program...

Yes you can. It depends if you want to do that. If you are doing good in the masters program and have great test scores then go for it. If not then, it might be better to wait until you finished the program...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do schools then give conditional acceptances? (ie. you're accepted as long as you defend your thesis before matriculation)

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hey there NorthSide,
I really don't think it'll be necessary for you to do a 2 years masters unless you're planning to go to a Canadian Dental school with your scores. Anyway, with regards to your question. If you are doing a 2 years masters, and you apply at the END of fourth year in MAY and before you start your masters, and you get accepted (at which point you will have completed only 1of2 years of your masters), most schools require you to finish and you will have to spend 1 more year in your thesis then matriculate the following year. Also, you gotta have a cool supervisor that will let you ditch on his project. I don't know if you're from Canada or what school you go to, but I would try my best to do a 1 year masters. I know some schools that have em, at mine there is an M.Eng option I'm considering as a backup if anything.

Hey there NorthSide,
I really don't think it'll be necessary for you to do a 2 years masters unless you're planning to go to a Canadian Dental school with your scores.

Last edited: