2 Yr. VS BA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iololiol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school without a BA? I want to finish pre-pharmacy in two years without a 2+4 or 0-6 program. What possible schools advocate this?

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school without a BA? I want to finish pre-pharmacy in two years without a 2+4 or 0-6 program. What possible schools advocate this?

Outside of California, a lot easier - You just need to kill your PCAT and have a solid GPA and you'll be fine.

You should also not limit yourself to just one state when applying.. You can also incr. your chances of getting into a pharm school by applying to the many private out-of-state schools, as well as, to the schools that are just coming out of the mill.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can definately get accepted to some schools after 2 years, but its most likely to happen if you have really good stats all around....very solid GPA on all your pre-req's and a good PCAT score. Also, a little pharmacy experience wouldnt hurt either because it will help convince them that you know what the field is about and that your actually interested in and are GOING TO REAMAIN interested in it.

As we all know, pharmacy schools only technically REQUIRE 2 years of pre-req's. The only reason Bachelor holders are prefered is because they have had more time to mature, show they can handle upper level courses without cracking, and ADCOMS are often more convinced they they know what they want to do becasue they are usually older and have had more time to look at their options then 2 year student. Its just a preference though...not the rule. All you technically need is the list of pre-req's.

Good Luck!!!

If you want to get in after two years, then you would be doing the "2+4" route. There are very few schools that require a bachelor's degree.

Visit Here and search for the schools that interest you. Each school page will have the minimum credit hours required for applying.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

I got in after two years, but worked hard and had to really advertise myself. Your chances are significantly lower than people with degrees, but it is still possible (although this will probably be phased out in the next decade.) Last year, my school accepted only 7 sophomores for a class of 108. My entering class's stats may be even lower.

I got a B.S. in Chemisty. I believe that it depends on your readiness level. After 2 years I was not ready so I completed my degree and learned so many skills from my mentors, researching, being an officer in multiple clubs, presenting scientific papers. I believe completing my degree was worth it.

Well I understand that holding a degree is preferred; however, I would like to know some ball park stats that would get me in after two years... What should I be aiming for?

This is still possible at some schools...but more and more are requiring a BA or BS.