20-21 on PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickMSU

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've scored 21, 20, 20 on Topscores' PAT. However, I hear on the real thing you usually score 2-3 points lower. Is this true for ppl who took the real DAT? I want to score at LEAST AN 19 on this section. How much more studying do you guys think i need to do for this section? I'm about to start DAT achiever, how much lower do ppl usually score on this compared to Topscore?

Members don't see this ad.

tinman831 said:
On average, scores tend to improve when people take the real DAT as opposed to their practice exams.

My topscore score on the PAT was a 23 on avg, on the real thing i scored a 17!!! There is no way to prepare for the real one, I was getting almost perfect scores on the angle rankings on the practice tests but the real one was way harder, that's what killed me for sure! I found that the PAT doesn't really matter (I recieved 7 interviews) so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the input. Were you timing yourself when u were taking the practice PAT part? I can't see how you can go down that far on the real thing....

Members don't see this ad :)
NickMSU said:
Thanks for the input. Were you timing yourself when u were taking the practice PAT part? I can't see how you can go down that far on the real thing....

I did, but I was also an idiot when i took the real thing. When I got to the PAT section, i forgot that the first question is actually an example, so i tried to answer the question and it wasn't working. Anyways i thought my computer froze and I went and talked to the proctor, and thought that she would restart the time, but it was my mistake and she didn't. I ended up starting the section 6 minutes after I should have started, so i'm pretty sure that accounted for a couple of mistakes I could have had right. Nevertheless, it was harder, especially the angle ranking and i'm sure my score would have been a couple of points less no matter what.

DATRAT said:
I did, but I was also an idiot when i took the real thing. When I got to the PAT section, i forgot that the first question is actually an example, so i tried to answer the question and it wasn't working. Anyways i thought my computer froze and I went and talked to the proctor, and thought that she would restart the time, but it was my mistake and she didn't. I ended up starting the section 6 minutes after I should have started, so i'm pretty sure that accounted for a couple of mistakes I could have had right. Nevertheless, it was harder, especially the angle ranking and i'm sure my score would have been a couple of points less no matter what.

Can you share your stats and the schools from which you got the interviews?

NickMSU said:
I've scored 21, 20, 20 on Topscores' PAT. However, I hear on the real thing you usually score 2-3 points lower. Is this true for ppl who took the real DAT? I want to score at LEAST AN 19 on this section. How much more studying do you guys think i need to do for this section? I'm about to start DAT achiever, how much lower do ppl usually score on this compared to Topscore?

yah its true, real pat is a bit harder (damn angle ranking... you cannot tell the difference for several of them), but nothing you cant handle.

i was averaging about 25 on the practice tests, and ended up with a 22. the angle ranking was definitely the toughest part! i probably ended up making a 50/50 guess on half of them. i don't know how you can really prepare for it tho.. maybe make your own angles with 1-2 degree differences and stare at them on a crappy CRT monitor lol.