20 schools too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BalooTheBear

I'm applying for Fall 2009. Here are my stats:
3.5 GPA and 21AA/21TS/20PAT

I'm looking at 20 schools on my list, and I can't see which ones to cut out. Can anyone give me some advice? Do I have good chances for my top choices?

UIC (top choice)
Marquette
Iowa
Indiana
SIU
UMichigan
Case Western
Pitt
UPenn (long shot)
Columbia (long shot)
NYU
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Louisville
Tennessee-Memphis
Ohio State
SUNY-Stony Brook
North Carolina
UConn

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at 20 schools on my list, and I can't see which ones to cut out. Can anyone give me some advice? Do I have good chances for my top choices?

UIC (top choice)
Marquette
Iowa
Indiana
SIU
UMichigan
Case Western
Pitt
UPenn (long shot)
Columbia (long shot)
NYU
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Louisville
Tennessee-Memphis
Ohio State
SUNY-Stony Brook
North Carolina
UConn

Thanks for the help

People will probably say yes, however, I feel if you spend the extra grand it might save you time and/or money. Consider you get accepted into school A that costs 220k and B, which is 140k for the four years. "Investing" that initial money may help saving many folds that. As a result, I'll be applying to the same number of schools. That's just my personal take. Also, I rather increase my odds than waiting around. People will say you're a strong candidate, which you are, do what you feel is best.

yea you'll probably get in to new york and ohio...

UIC, I'd say you're in...

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC (top choice)
Marquette
Iowa
Indiana
UMichigan
Case Western
Pitt
Columbia (long shot)
NYU
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Louisville
North Carolina

In my opinion, these would be good enough.

UIC (top choice)
Marquette
Iowa
Indiana
SIU
UMichigan
Case Western
Pitt
UPenn (long shot)
Columbia (long shot)
NYU
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Louisville
Tennessee-Memphis
Ohio State
SUNY-Stony Brook
North Carolina
UConn

Thanks for the help

Add SUNY-Buffalo
Other than that go with what Jiga is suggesting. I'm assuming you want to be in the great lakes region.

I can pratically guarantee you will get accepted to Case with those stats. Their interview process is so laid-back, that you almost just need to show up in order to pass. So I think you can remove some others from your list that appear as back-up schools. This includes: Marquette, NYU, Boston, Tufts, and Temple. Pick one back-up from that group, keep Case, and drop the rest. For the rest of the schools on your list, I think you could remove 4 more; but I won't say which ones because it seems you've chosen based on geographic preferences. That would leave you with 12 schools to apply to, a good number with your stats. Since your top choice is UIC, I don't think it's worthwhile to apply to quite so many otherr state schools.
And finally, you are by no means a "long shot" for Columbia. I'm not as familiar with Penn, but I think you have an excellent shot at Columbia.

You aren't a long shot for Penn and Columbia. They aren't top 5 dental schools despite being "ivy".

UNC, Iowa, and Michigan might be more of a long shot for you though. Those are all better schools than Penn and Columbia.

I'm going to apply to 15. Thank you guys for your help. It really helped me trim down my list. I don't want to go below 15 cause then I'll start trimming out my long shots and schools I have a decent chance at.

UIC
Marquette
Indiana
Iowa
Louisville
Michigan
Case Western
UPenn
Columbia
Boston
Pitt
Ohio State
SUNY - Stony Brook
SUNY - Buffalo
NYU

DON'T bother with UConn or Tennessee. Southern schools and UConn are basically "out of staters need not apply." I'm dead serious.

I wouldn't consider Temple a 'back-up' school. With a new dean headed out our way and the amount of clinical work we do I wouldn't be surprised if Temple becomes the next hot school to get into. Every clinic is getting geared up with axium, complicated cases are done at Temple everyday that would make graduates of some other schools scratch their heads (some kids who finish requirements early have 70 crowns under thier belt or 150 extractions to graduate, etc.), and there are some other bonuses that have been changed that make Temple easier to bear. ie. If your patient doesn't pay, you are no longer responsible for paying for the procedure and you get the credit for the procedure. Lecture halls being redone (slowly - 1 by 1), clinics getting a small makeover, and other things.

Just my two cents.

I'm going to apply to 15. Thank you guys for your help. It really helped me trim down my list. I don't want to go below 15 cause then I'll start trimming out my long shots and schools I have a decent chance at.

UIC
Marquette
Indiana
Iowa
Louisville
Michigan
Case Western
UPenn
Columbia
Boston
Pitt
Ohio State
SUNY - Stony Brook
SUNY - Buffalo
NYU

Since you are from Chicago, I am assuming that your State residency is not NY.

In that case, I strongly suggest you take out Stony Brook. Don't get me wrong, SB is an awesome school - but they take about 5 out of staters per year.

Not very good odds.

UIC
Marquette
Indiana
Iowa
Louisville
Michigan
Case Western
UPenn
Columbia
Boston
Pitt
Ohio State
SUNY - Stony Brook
SUNY - Buffalo
NYU

Replace a couple of the state schools with private schools just in case. As people have mentioned take out stony brook. Add Tufts.