2000 Kaplan home study USMLE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bono

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One my friends (going to be an MS2) is wondering whether or not to purchase this home study kit from Kaplan. Someone at her school is selling it for pretty cheap and she was just wandering if it was worth it or not? The seller said that it was most helpful b/c, "The USMLE is steering away from word recognition questions and going more towards lengthy clinical scenarios. What this means is that First Aid and other such popular review books are becoming less helpful, and in depth review books (like Kaplan) are becoming more helpful." Thanks a lot guys!!!

-Bono :idea: :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Bono said:
The seller said that it was most helpful b/c, "The USMLE is steering away from word recognition questions and going more towards lengthy clinical scenarios. What this means is that First Aid and other such popular review books are becoming less helpful, and in depth review books (like Kaplan) are becoming more helpful."

From someone who took the Step 1 last year, this has been the case for a few years now (i.e., studying "buzzwords" is now pretty much low-yield; clinical vignettes are the norm). First Aid and other review books still remain some of the best prep sources though. I don't know how much Kaplan changes its review books from year-to-year, but the 2000 date would make me at least check that out before going any further.

All that being said, nice sales pitch by the seller... :D