2005 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok all I know I should give up, however, its just something I need some help on. I have PM'd a few people and have corresponded with ItsGavinC who has been helpful, but I have a few questions. I applied for the 2004 cycle (october) and have a mediocre science GPA, but lower DAT scores. TO all: is there any advice other than applying early, studying like there is no tomorrow for another shot at the DAT (3rd try), applying to the right schools (ie those that have requirements that arent out of this world), and a solid application? Specifically, I am looking for any thoughts on schools that are worth applying to for those who are in my similar "boat". I applied to ASDOH, NYU, UIC, SIU (IL resident), Marquette, Boston, Tufts, NOVA, Creighton (which I found out now is very tough to get into), Temple, IUSD (did undergrad in finance in Bloomington, IN and went back to do pre-reqs at a nearby college here in Chicago), and UNLV. Any thoughts and suggestiond are welcomed. I should also mention I do have 6 months experience in a dental office (father is a dentist UIC '71). Thanks

-Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I meant I know I shouldnt give up......

What are your dat scores?

Add USC to your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
16 AA, 18 RC, 16 QR, rather not say PAT...its just something I cant get down and just need to keep practicing

USC????????!!! I thought any California school was way out of the question. I know USC is private, however, I am sure it is still hard to get into.

gotta do well on your 3rd DAT...that is the key...if you dont do well on this, you have to keep trying, because I cant see any acceptences with those DAT scores....rock your DAT!

Originally posted by Bullfan16
USC????????!!! I thought any California school was way out of the question. I know USC is private, however, I am sure it is still hard to get into.

Check out this website:

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

USC along with UPitt are 2 schools you should think about adding, assuming you do well on your next dat.

I understand the burden lies solely on my shoulders, however, I am having major difficullty in preparing myself for this test. The frustrating part is now I am starting to take some additional science courses (ie A/P I (now II) and pharamcology) and am doing well in them ....and did fair to moderate in my pre-reqs with exception to Orgo II in which I received a C+ in lecture (took one and two in summer). Most suggest memorizing the Kaplan book, guess I am not sure if this is the best and only way or what else there is to do. I know I MUST DO BETTER and want to, I guess I just dont know how to do so.

Honestly bud, dont go into the testing centre unless you are completely confident in your ability to do the test and it seems like you currently are not. Memorizing the Kaplan book is good, but for the bio section it requires more work and perhaps going back to college textbooks. And about the PAT section, you have to keep on practicing....buy as many materials as you can, anything to help you.

Doing well on your DAT is extremely key for an acceptence despite a lower-end GPA.....dont lose confidence and keep at it! Remember....third times a charm! ;)