2005 match data links?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been hearing about path getting more competitive this year with applicant numbers up. Where are these magical 2005 match numbers (link-wise)? I've search this forum and can't come up with anything so sorry if its been covered.

Members don't see this ad.

The actual # of folks applying to pathology is not exactly known. All that is known is the # of spots offered this year through the Match and how many of those spots were filled.

This year 526 were offered and there were only 45 unfilled positions. That comes out to approximately a 92% fill rate. I have no clue how this percentage stacks up to previous years.

Clearly, what we need to know to look into the competitiveness of this field is to know the # of folks who applied this year. We already know that 481 people secured a PGY-1 pathology position via the Match. Thus, there are only two unknown values remaining (total # applicants & # unmatched folks). But to my knowledge, I don't know what either of these numbers are.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
I think the match lists were posted in Pre-Allo.
Yep they were but I think the OP wanted to know how competitive Pathology was. To gain insight into that you need to know what percentage of applicants matched...and not what percentage of programs filled.

To illustrate, let's say 450 out of 500 programs filled their spots in the Match. Well isn't that frickin' dandy. But what if the 450 that matched was out of 5000 applicants? Yeah, that would totally suck for the other 4450 folks who didn't match (i.e., the field is uber competitive).

bananaface said:
gotcha, mudbutt
yeah, you're just jealous cuz you don't get to play slip 'n slide after eating indian or thai food.

your loss. :laugh:

Aight touche.

OK I too am curious as to the numbers regarding competitiveness of pathology this year.

Anyone got numbers/stats?

I think it was stormjen who quoted actual applicant numbers this year during the actual season which she gleaned from a program. I have been trying to find the original post, without success.

Andy says I hallucinated the whole thing :(

It should show up on Scutwork.com eventually, if this year is like past years. I am not sure when they release that info though.