2006 interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvalotapath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a FMG who is applying to Path residencies for 2006 Match. I have yet to recieve an interview request! And I am, needless to say less than thrilled. I have applied to over 60 programs, that of about 8 have contacted me and denied me for an interview. So, my question is does every program you apply to have to respond to you regardless of there descicion? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

No, there will be some that you will not hear from in any case. At least half of mine were this way.

Did any of them tell you why you were denied an interview? I'm not asking for you to tell me the answer, it's just that with FMGs there are tons of reasons one can be denied an interview - some of them entirely arbitrary ("Your application is missing _________" being the some of the most frustrating, since chances are you didn't know).

The majority of them said I did not meet there requirements, but that is ok by me with programs like Vanderbilt or Cleveland Clinic....... One program told me that I should apply again next year. But none of them were to specfic just that they had recieved too many applications and they weren't granting me an interview.

deschutes said:
No, there will be some that you will not hear from in any case. At least half of mine were this way.

Did any of them tell you why you were denied an interview? I'm not asking for you to tell me the answer, it's just that with FMGs there are tons of reasons one can be denied an interview - some of them entirely arbitrary ("Your application is missing _________" being the some of the most frustrating, since chances are you didn't know).

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there.....

50% of the programs wont respond.....they wont tell you that you have been rejected.....if you dont receive a call from that school it means that you probably are rejected unless they have slot open following some cancellation.....

i applied to around 40 schools and have received calls from 10 and another 10 have rejected me.....thats 50%....i dont expect any more calls and maybe some more rejects.....

i am an img....and there are many more iMGs who have gotten good number of calls this year......i think it depends on your credentials and when you applied during the season.....i hope you aplied early...and you picked the right schools after checking their requirements.....goodluck....keep up the hopes.....

I think if you are really curious you can call the program and ask - they may be able to tell you that either they are still considering your application or they have finished. The above is true, a lot of programs do not send out any kind of rejection letter.

A few weeks ago I still had not heard from a program that I am very interested in. I decided to bite the bullet and just e-mail them (I think it was around October 30 or so). They replied back with a date for interview!!! I will never really know if they were going to invite me eventually or I just invited myself but I am just fine with it. So, definitely e-mail to the schools you haven't heard from. What do you have to loose??

As a fellow FMG, I have learned the following:

Many programs will not interview you if you do not hold an ECFMG certificate. Candidates who are truly foreign usually have this at the time they apply for residency. However, a USIMG (like myself) does not get this certificate until ECFMG receives a copy of your final transcript. This, of course, comes only after you graduate! I am running into this problem right now with University of Rochester (my home program!). They want me to interview there, but the graduate medical education office is very strict, and basically is saying that I can't even interview there, even though I will get this stupid piece of paper once I graduate (which is essentially a sure thing, since I've passed Steps 1 and 2). :mad:

So, this may be a reason why you have not heard from some programs.

Thanks so much for all the advise, I really appreciate it, sometimes I feel very lonely because I don't know anyone else who is doing Path. For me I really don't know whats going on with my interviews, I already have a ECFMG certificate, I'm a US citizen, I did an observership, they only thing that I can imagine it that I failed Step one once, maybe thats the reason I haven't heard back..... But anyways, does anyone know if the New York programs interview later in the season?

luvalotapath said:
Thanks so much for all the advise, I really appreciate it, sometimes I feel very lonely because I don't know anyone else who is doing Path. For me I really don't know whats going on with my interviews, I already have a ECFMG certificate, I'm a US citizen, I did an observership, they only thing that I can imagine it that I failed Step one once, maybe thats the reason I haven't heard back..... But anyways, does anyone know if the New York programs interview later in the season?

I think they do, because I have only heard from a couple of NY programs as of now.

luvalotapath said:
..sometimes I feel very lonely because I don't know anyone else who is doing Path.
awwwww :( ..that's why sdn is such a great place!a lot of us are in the same boat..
a lot of programs send out calls for interviews later in the day- say december-jan, so keep the spirit up! good luck :luck: !

luvalotapath said:
Hi, I'm IMG applying for path this year....currently I'm in an OB/GYN residency.....and it sucks soooo bad :barf: ...that I decided to change to path were people are intellectual. well, I apply to 44 programs and so far one interview and 6 rejections.... I wish you the best luck. I'm still waiting to hear some good news :)

I would contact some of the programs you haven't heard from yet and "express your interest" and offer to answer any questions they might have about your application.

What about the place where you did your observership? That might be a good place to start.

The program where I di the observership offered me an interview but I have yet to here from them, they told me that I would be coming back around the second week in December. So, I guess there is still time..... But, I will definetely get in contact with some of the programs I've applied to.

luvalotapath said:
The program where I di the observership offered me an interview but I have yet to here from them, they told me that I would be coming back around the second week in December. So, I guess there is still time..... But, I will definetely get in contact with some of the programs I've applied to.

I am an IMG too and i am in the same situation currently.I have just 2 interviews so far and some of the programs that i wrote to this week said that they are waiting for my step2 results and ECFMG certification.So keep your hopes up.Something good is just around the corner. :)

pathwannabe said:
I am an IMG too and i am in the same situation currently.I have just 2 interviews so far and some of the programs that i wrote to this week said that they are waiting for my step2 results and ECFMG certification.So keep your hopes up.Something good is just around the corner. :)
i'm in this same situation too, except i just got my ECFMG certificate :) ..i think most programs offer AMGs first up.IMGs get called as the interview slots open up,as AMGs withdraw from interviews. AMGs want to go to certain places, and wait for calls from their favoured places while using these other programs as back-up.
before anyone jumps at my throat, i am NOT bashing/moaning/criticizing what AMGs are doing.had i been in their shoes, i would have done the same- a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. and the programs cannot be said to be "biased" either. if i get it correctly, their ACGME credits go up if the number of AMGs in their program is higher. yes, IMGs mostly get sloppy seconds, but crying about it doesn't change anything.
so, yeah, its scary to not have too many calls yet, esp as people in this forum are going haywire with "where to go". still, chin up!there is a long way to go till the end of interview season! good luck!! :luck:

i think most programs offer AMGs first up.IMGs get called as the interview slots open up,as AMGs withdraw from interviews
A PD told me explicitly during interview that places like UW, BWH, UPenn, and JHU wouldn't even look at IMG's applications (unless you have some personal connection or are as smart as Einstein I guess). Of course he said this only because he thinks his program is as good as those big names and is proud that they do take IMGs.

HappyPanda said:
A PD told me explicitly during interview that places like UW, BWH, UPenn, and JHU wouldn't even look at IMG's applications (unless you have some personal connection or are as smart as Einstein I guess). Of course he said this only because he thinks his program is as good as those big names and is proud that they do take IMGs.

I am not an IMG but I have been told by an interviewer that another program in town probably won't interview me. Of course he bad-mouthed that program as well. It turned out not to be true and made me really upset at the time. In fact, it gave me such a bad feeling about their whole program that I have started bad-mouthing it myself. I figured I would rather not match than end up at that place. Anyways, this isn't very relevant to your post but I am still angry.

miko2005 said:
I am not an IMG but I have been told by an interviewer that another program in town probably won't interview me...I figured I would rather not match than end up at that place. Anyways, this isn't very relevant to your post but I am still angry.
any interview slots open as a result?? :D :D
but seriously, the least the interviewer could do is not discourage if s/he cannot be encouraging.
awaiting my turn at the head of the pecking order..i plan to grind these axes a long,long time..

uhoh! said:
any interview slots open as a result?? :D :D
but seriously, the least the interviewer could do is not discourage if s/he cannot be encouraging.
awaiting my turn at the head of the pecking order..i plan to grind these axes a long,long time..

I think my post was confusing. Here is a better explanation : Program X said that program Y will not interview me. Program Y did send me an invitation. Either way, I now hate program X. What business is it of their's who will or will not invite me? I resent the implication that I am not a good enough candidate for program Y and especially since program X went out of their way to tell me how much they wanted me to go there. If I am such a weak candidate, why am I good enough for their program? End result, I hate program X. Why I interviewed there in the first place when really I never thought I want to end up there?? I don't know. :eek:

again..any slots open after you tell them to pi$$ off? :D :D
just kidding here..i understood you the first time.yup,it is pi$$ing off to be thought of as "inferior"..be confident in your own abilities.anything anyone else says,overt or implied, is rubbish. you are good-that is why you were interviewing there in the first place. you should feel flattered as maybe they want you badly enough to discourage you from going anywhere else,esp the school down the road! :)

miko2005 said:
I think my post was confusing. Here is a better explanation : Program X said that program Y will not interview me. Program Y did send me an invitation. Either way, I now hate program X. What business is it of their's who will or will not invite me? I resent the implication that I am not a good enough candidate for program Y and especially since program X went out of their way to tell me how much they wanted me to go there. If I am such a weak candidate, why am I good enough for their program? End result, I hate program X. Why I interviewed there in the first place when really I never thought I want to end up there?? I don't know. :eek:
I think that is unprofessional on the part of program X and inappropriate.