2006 Unmatched Residency 36 PSR Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senor.Frog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just curious why so many positions went unmatched this year. I checked out the CRIPS website and was really surprised, actually shocked to see that good programs like INOVA Fairfax and West Penn went unmatched. Maybe these programs are stinkers now, but when I was in podiatry school these were elite programs. I can see that a lot has changed since graduating in 2004. Well I can see that there are now a lot of great programs in surplus which is a definite plus for podiatry students of today. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Senor.Frog said:
Hey guys,

I was just curious why so many positions went unmatched this year. I checked out the CRIPS website and was really surprised, actually shocked to see that good programs like INOVA Fairfax and West Penn went unmatched. Maybe these programs are stinkers now, but when I was in podiatry school these were elite programs. I can see that a lot has changed since graduating in 2004. Well I can see that there are now a lot of great programs in surplus which is a definite plus for podiatry students of today. Good luck to you all!

I am not sure about this but I think both west penn and Inova got residents during the scramble.

I know one person who wanted to rank Inova 1st but they kept telling him to wait b/c they were waiting for someone else. So he did not rank Inova and ended up at a different program.

By unmatched - do you mean all spots or at least one spot?

And both of those programs are still at the top of the list.

Anyone else have any other theories?

Yeah, West Penn has 5 spots and 2 went unmatched. Innova has 4 spots and 2 went unmatched.

My theory is these programs are very competitive so students get scared off and therefore list them lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Senor.Frog said:
Hey guys,

Both West Penn and Northern Virginia programs are still excellent programs. The reason why some of the PM&S-36 / PSR-24+ programs went unmatched is that there are simply more residency spots than applicants. This year, there were a few "good" students played games with several residency programs by telling them that they intend on ranking them number one. While, I understand that students want to secure the best program possible for them. However, students playing games with residency programs is usually not a good idea since the Podiatry profession is small and people know each other between various residency programs. Due to the fact that students are going to play games, various residency programs may have to come up with ways to secure the "best" students for the residency program via legal means as early as possible. Lastly, another possible reason why a program may go unmatch is that they did not like any of the candidates that they interviewed and would figured that they would pick up a better student in the scramble. There are several programs that have let go their first year due to various issues with the first year residents this year.

dpmgrad said:
Both West Penn and Northern Virginia programs are still excellent programs. The reason why some of the PM&S-36 / PSR-24+ programs went unmatched is that there are simply more residency spots than applicants. This year, there were a few "good" students played games with several residency programs by telling them that they intend on ranking them number one. While, I understand that students want to secure the best program possible for them. However, students playing games with residency programs is usually not a good idea since the Podiatry profession is small and people know each other between various residency programs. Due to the fact that students are going to play games, various residency programs may have to come up with ways to secure the "best" students for the residency program via legal means as early as possible. Lastly, another possible reason why a program may go unmatch is that they did not like any of the candidates that they interviewed and would figured that they would pick up a better student in the scramble. There are several programs that have let go their first year due to various issues with the first year residents this year.

Also, that list on the CASPR website has not been updated for sometime. I know people that have filled some of those spots but CASPR still has them listed as unmatched.