2007-2008-What should I do thread? (where to accept, apply, and chances!) Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you elaborate more on this? I'm not doubting you at all - just trying to gather all the information I can. (And I'm not trying to spark an ND vs. DO debate either). I would appreciate more comparisons between NDs and DOs in terms of career success, for example.

I believe that the first few years of an accredited ND school offer a curriculum comparable to that of a DO school, except with more emphasis on other therapies. For example, 1st year students take biochem, physio, anatomy, histology, embryology, neuroscience, hydrotherapy, and botanical medicine, in addition to clinical entry. They will later learn about homeopathy, diet & nutrient therapy, tongue & pulse diagnosis, etc., in addition to all of the other "ologies" found at DO schools. You will definitely find differences in clinical rotations between ND and DO schools (ie. no emphasis on surgical rotations at an ND school). In terms of residencies, NDs have much fewer opportunities, and it isn't even a requirement (not something I agree with).

It sounds like you already know so much more about ND than I do, so you are basically answering your own question. I think you are sort of missing the point that in this day and age DO=MD, with few subtle differences, the main one being OMM. Seeing as most people who would go DO, would also go MD, you need to ask yourself if the type of medicine that MD's practice is at all like what you would want to do. Now, if you did go DO, you of course can practice any way you like, but the rotations and requirements are going to be very different from ND and almost identical to MD.

GL with whatever you choose!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you already know so much more about ND than I do, so you are basically answering your own question. I think you are sort of missing the point that in this day and age DO=MD, with few subtle differences, the main one being OMM. Seeing as most people who would go DO, would also go MD, you need to ask yourself if the type of medicine that MD's practice is at all like what you would want to do. Now, if you did go DO, you of course can practice any way you like, but the rotations and requirements are going to be very different from ND and almost identical to MD.

GL with whatever you choose!

Since you brought up the point about making the choice to practice however one likes, do you (or anyone else here) know of any DOs who practice with an emphasis on alternative therapies? What are ways for DOs to focus more on holistic treatment? (e.g. attend natural health conferences or continual education classes?) I believe one of the moderators on the pre-DO forum mentioned joining clubs or attending conferences alongside both MDs and NDs.

Or am I just trying to have my cake and eat it too?

Since you brought up the point about making the choice to practice however one likes, do you (or anyone else here) know of any DOs who practice with an emphasis on alternative therapies? What are ways for DOs to focus more on holistic treatment? (e.g. attend natural health conferences or continual education classes?) I believe one of the moderators on the pre-DO forum mentioned joining clubs or attending conferences alongside both MDs and NDs.

I'm not sure on specifics about that, but I'm sure there are lots of options out there. I know multiple MD's who ended up going to acupuncture school and now use that in their practice. Really, anything is possible!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm clear on your appreciation for traditional medicine, but what's your enthusiasm for western medicine? There are 5-7 years of western med to trudge through to get to where you can practice with any holistic freedom. Seems like a lot of overkill for whatever benefits you perceive to having an underlying medical degree. There are plenty of naturopaths who have sufficient scientific credibility and build a healthy business (which may have more to do with business savvy than patient care).

As for practice opportunities, look locally for NDs who share an office with MDs or DOs. Look for OB/GYNs who share a practice with midwives. Look for acupuncturists in the yellow pages who are also US-trained MDs or DOs. Where I live, this kind of crossover is fairly common - behind my house there's a combined ND/MD practice. And look for DOs who have OMT practices. These are all great shadowing opps.

Lastly, browse the archives in the nontrad forum. Over the last couple years there have been acupuncturists, herbalists and (I think) NDs who wanted to got to med school. Might be interesting to try to track one or more of them down.

Best of luck to you.

I'm clear on your appreciation for traditional medicine, but what's your enthusiasm for western medicine? There are 5-7 years of western med to trudge through to get to where you can practice with any holistic freedom. Seems like a lot of overkill for whatever benefits you perceive to having an underlying medical degree. There are plenty of naturopaths who have sufficient scientific credibility and build a healthy business (which may have more to do with business savvy than patient care).

As for practice opportunities, look locally for NDs who share an office with MDs or DOs. Look for OB/GYNs who share a practice with midwives. Look for acupuncturists in the yellow pages who are also US-trained MDs or DOs. Where I live, this kind of crossover is fairly common - behind my house there's a combined ND/MD practice. And look for DOs who have OMT practices. These are all great shadowing opps.

Lastly, browse the archives in the nontrad forum. Over the last couple years there have been acupuncturists, herbalists and (I think) NDs who wanted to got to med school. Might be interesting to try to track one or more of them down.

Best of luck to you.

LOL. By where she lives, she means the Pacific NW- Where we aren't afraid of flannel, Birkenstocks (with or without socks), or granola!! Or biking in the rain. Much of this is done while high :rolleyes:

Really? That's so 1972. I don't see it where I'm at - more like moms addicted to their kids' Adderall.

LOL...I know what you mean about the Adderall. Maybe my "everybody is high" thing comes from being in undergrad still...But really, I just like how laid back it is in the PNW

I'm trying to figure out what are my chances of getting into D.O. schools.
Due to having a child my jr year in college and out state from family my gpa dropped to 2.7. Im currently working on my MPH and hold a strong 4.0. My work experiance includes chemistry teacher, lab experiance, internships, and mentoring programs. I plan on taking my MCAT on September 13, 2008. Im very determined and driven and I know once I get in, I will bust my butt to do my best.
Also just to add extra I'm a women, underepresented, and a minority.

What do you think? :oops:

This thread will probably get moved soon, but I think you should really consider taking your MCAT earlier. Maybe August at the latest. You need to apply as early as possible. :luck:

Does that 2.7 include all your prereqs and retakes? If so you will be automatically screened out at certain schools. What is your science GPA? I'm also working on my MPH but almost done, 1 month and 9 days baby!! :clap:

My science gpa is 2.7 as well and MPH degree complete next year.

Also some individuals stated I should look into a smp porgram or post-bac. Which would be better?

I'm trying to figure out what are my chances of getting into D.O. schools.
Due to having a child my jr year in college and out state from family my gpa dropped to 2.7. Im currently working on my MPH and hold a strong 4.0. My work experiance includes chemistry teacher, lab experiance, internships, and mentoring programs. I plan on taking my MCAT on September 13, 2008. Im very determined and driven and I know once I get in, I will bust my butt to do my best.
Also just to add extra I'm a women, underepresented, and a minority.

What do you think? :oops:

Do you think having a baby affected your ability to make good grades? If so, I would consider that a red flag in terms of your ability to get through med school should you get pregnant again. Also, consider that you'll probably get asked about this during interviews if you use pregnancy as an excuse for your grade drop. Actually, whether you choose to use pregnancy or not, you'll get asked about the grade drop. Have a good answer!

Jesus, if you were pregnant I hope you're a woman...of course you never know given a recent Oprah episode.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also some individuals stated I should look into a smp porgram or post-bac. Which would be better?

If you were going to choose one I would say post-bacc because those grades will bring up your undergrad GPA.

Not using that as an excuse but it was one of the reason to what happen. I went to college on a academic scholarship and having a child and being in another state away from family can cause a individual to have there grades drop. But currently I'm in graduate school working on my master public health also teaching high school chemistry and I'm holding a 4.0 after 3 terms and still in another state away from family. So I belive it's just me learning from experiance and overcoming.

Do you think having a baby affected your ability to make good grades? If so, I would consider that a red flag in terms of your ability to get through med school should you get pregnant again. Also, consider that you'll probably get asked about this during interviews if you use pregnancy as an excuse for your grade drop. Actually, whether you choose to use pregnancy or not, you'll get asked about the grade drop. Have a good answer!

Jesus, if you were pregnant I hope you're a woman...of course you never know given a recent Oprah episode.

Not using that as an excuse but it was one of the reason to what happen. I went to college on a academic scholarship and having a child and being in another state away from family can cause a individual to have there grades drop. But currently I'm in graduate school working on my master public health also teaching high school chemistry and I'm holding a 4.0 after 3 terms and still in another state away from family. So I belive it's just me learning from experiance and overcoming.

I'm going to give you my opinions straight up, which usually puts peoples' panties in a bunch. So before I jump in, let me congratulate you on your medical ambition and motherhood, and wish you the best of luck.

Being a woman buys you nothing in admissions - women are slightly more than 50% of med school students (thus not underrepresented). Being an underrepresented racial/ethnic minority can still be a big advantage. That said, if you take advantage of arguably lower numerical URM entrance standards to get in to med school, you might find yourself unprepared for how hard it is. Even the 4.0 smartypantses get clobbered.

You're competing against other applicants on undergrad GPA. That 4.0 in your MPH is unfortunately just a very good extra-curricular activity. MPH grad work is not considered scientifically rigorous, compared to "hard" science.

Chemistry teaching looks great. Make sure to get into a hospital or clinic and start clocking some volunteer hours where you can smell patients.

In your shoes I'd take an MCAT practice test right away. Get some data and see where you are. The first one on www.e-mcat.com is free.

Boy, I'd really like to see you do something about that 2.7. I'm worried that you'd be no better prepared for an SMP than you are for med school. SMPs are do-or-die. I'd rather see you do a postbac or 2nd bachelors in a hard science, and come out with an improved cumulative GPA (which means you need to start doing 3.7 work). There are premed postbacs specific to URMs in California and elsewhere, and these are state-funded and rather impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the premed prereqs.

I don't think you're ready to apply for 2009 matriculation. But I think you could have your choice of DO or MD programs, with scholarship support, if you show undergrad GPA improvement and a strong MCAT.

Again, best of luck to you.

BTW none of these pregnancy-related questions would be asked clearly and directly. (Probably not.) The interviewers would hint at it and insinuate and talk around it and hope that you can save them by having, yep, a good answer.

No interviewer should go anywhere near the "what if you have another baby, are your med school grades going to drop too?" question, but it can happen. Valsalva's absolutely correct in that every interviewer is thinking it, whether they ask it or not.

This is the answer. Schools are going to look at your undergraduate GPA. From what I understand, graduate GPA's are largely ignored by schools because grades tend to be so inflated in their programs. Similar success in a post-bacc can bring your undergraduate GPA to a competitive level (3.3) or at least to a level which doesn't take you out of consideration (3.0-3.2). A 2.7 cumulative and science will do this at most schools, even if you're an underrepresented minority (being a woman gives you no advantage).

One nice thing about the AACOMAS is that retook courses replace the previous grade. So if you did a bunch of C-'s etc. on your prereq's, getting an A in them in a post-bacc would significantly bolster your chances.

I'm holding a 4.0 after 3 terms and still in another state away from family.

Again, because it's graduate-level, I doubt they'd care too much.

I plan on taking my MCAT on September 13, 2008.

This is WAY too late for this approaching cycle. Though if you're going to do a post-bacc, I would wait until this is done or finishing to take your MCAT. The MCAT should be taken June/July at the latest of the year that you begin applying.

Im very determined and driven and I know once I get in, I will bust my butt to do my best.

Good! You'll need it, because you have a lot of work ahead of you!

I'm going to give you my opinions straight up, which usually puts peoples' panties in a bunch. So before I jump in, let me congratulate you on your medical ambition and motherhood, and wish you the best of luck.

Being a woman buys you nothing in admissions - women are slightly more than 50% of med school students (thus not underrepresented). Being an underrepresented racial/ethnic minority can still be a big advantage. That said, if you take advantage of arguably lower numerical URM entrance standards to get in to med school, you might find yourself unprepared for how hard it is. Even the 4.0 smartypantses get clobbered.

You're competing against other applicants on undergrad GPA. That 4.0 in your MPH is unfortunately just a very good extra-curricular activity. MPH grad work is not considered scientifically rigorous, compared to "hard" science.

Chemistry teaching looks great. Make sure to get into a hospital or clinic and start clocking some volunteer hours where you can smell patients.

In your shoes I'd take an MCAT practice test right away. Get some data and see where you are. The first one on www.e-mcat.com is free.

Boy, I'd really like to see you do something about that 2.7. I'm worried that you'd be no better prepared for an SMP than you are for med school. SMPs are do-or-die. I'd rather see you do a postbac or 2nd bachelors in a hard science, and come out with an improved cumulative GPA (which means you need to start doing 3.7 work). There are premed postbacs specific to URMs in California and elsewhere, and these are state-funded and rather impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the premed prereqs.

I don't think you're ready to apply for 2009 matriculation. But I think you could have your choice of DO or MD programs, with scholarship support, if you show undergrad GPA improvement and a strong MCAT.

Again, best of luck to you.

Excellent answer.

That undergrad gpa is killer. Many of the better post baccs involve having a 3.0 or so. I recommend taking a year and possible retaking a bunch of those classes. It sucks I know, but the glory of osteopathic schools is that they do grade replacement. I don't know how many science credits you have, but eliminate some of those lowest grades and get the gpa up. As you get closer to a 3.0 then you hammer the hell out of the mcat and you have a chance. I understand that having a child is a very time consuming thing and you were probably overloaded, but in the eyes of many it will just be considered an excuse. It is a better excuse than most, but one nonetheless. We are all already or will be emotionally/physically beat down at some point during our education. (I've had 5 very close people die on me this year and one I witnessed.) It is just one of those things that happens and we have to learn and roll with the punches. I'm saying it is impossible but I'm also not going to blow smoke up your a$$ and say it is sunshine and carebears all the way. You'll need to retake some classes to get that gpa up. If you can get to a 3.0 you will stand a shot. While you are applying to schools at that point, I'd also simultaneously apply to postbaccs. Then, if you don't get in to a med school, at least you can try to wow a school in postbacc.

That undergrad gpa is killer. Many of the better post baccs involve having a 3.0 or so. I recommend taking a year and possible retaking a bunch of those classes. It sucks I know, but the glory of osteopathic schools is that they do grade replacement. I don't know how many science credits you have, but eliminate some of those lowest grades and get the gpa up. As you get closer to a 3.0 then you hammer the hell out of the mcat and you have a chance. I understand that having a child is a very time consuming thing and you were probably overloaded, but in the eyes of many it will just be considered an excuse. It is a better excuse than most, but one nonetheless. We are all already or will be emotionally/physically beat down at some point during our education. (I've had 5 very close people die on me this year and one I witnessed.) It is just one of those things that happens and we have to learn and roll with the punches. I'm saying it is impossible but I'm also not going to blow smoke up your a$$ and say it is sunshine and carebears all the way. You'll need to retake some classes to get that gpa up. If you can get to a 3.0 you will stand a shot. While you are applying to schools at that point, I'd also simultaneously apply to postbaccs. Then, if you don't get in to a med school, at least you can try to wow a school in postbacc.

Thanks everyone one for the insight of my situation. I'm in Texas and they have soem good schools, so i will try retaking some under grad class and kill them with A's then kill the MCAT.

Thanks for the info;):banana::zip:

Thanks everyone one for the insight of my situation. I'm in Texas and they have soem good schools, so i will try retaking some under grad class and kill them with A's then kill the MCAT.

Thanks for the info;):banana::zip:

Well as an MPH student I am personally impressed by your 4.0. I certainly don't have a 4.0. Depending on what grades you got in science classes you might consider retaking. Definitely don't worry about doing a formal post-bacc. I did post-bacc classes at UTA, I was just signed up as a bachelor degree seeking student, I just never finished it. :luck:

I thought it was illegal to ask about babies in the interviews.

This is WAY too late for this approaching cycle. Though if you're going to do a post-bacc, I would wait until this is done or finishing to take your MCAT. The MCAT should be taken June/July at the latest of the year that you begin applying.

Hmm. I am planning to take the MCAT for the first time in August. Is this date too late because schools may look unfavorably upon that, or because I will not have much of a second chance to increase my score if need be?

I know your post was not directed towards me, but I had to butt in.

I thought it was illegal to ask about babies in the interviews.

It's illegal to speed on the freeway too.

Effectively an interviewer willing to go there is willing to take on a lawsuit possibility, and a smart interviewer is only going there very carefully.

Hi i am a Canadian citizen planning to apply for DO schools next summer and was wondering if i could get a word on my chances.
First two years done with following stats:
GPA: 3.0
MCAT : 30O
EC's: 1.Volunteer at surgery and acute medicine ward for over a year and plan to do it until my applications go out
2. Volunteer research assistant for psychology visual development lab for 3 months.
3. Student services mentor.
4. Did telethon fund raising for South Asian earthquake victims.
5. Coached varsity teams at my high school during grade 12.

Hi i am a Canadian citizen planning to apply for DO schools next summer and was wondering if i could get a word on my chances.
First two years done with following stats:
GPA: 3.0
MCAT : 30O
EC's: 1.Volunteer at surgery and acute medicine ward for over a year and plan to do it until my applications go out
2. Volunteer research assistant for psychology visual development lab for 3 months.
3. Student services mentor.
4. Did telethon fund raising for South Asian earthquake victims.
5. Coached varsity teams at my high school during grade 12.

I'd say pretty good if you apply early. Your GPA is weak but your MCAT is good so that should help.

Does that GPA reflect both your science GPA and your overall GPA? Make sure both of those are above 3.0 to satisfy a lot of the school's cutoffs and your MCAT and extra curricular activities will get you some acceptances (provided you apply early in the cycle).

I have got couple of more questions...u know by any chance what schools accept Canadians? i know most of the DO get the family medicine residency but what are the other ones out there? oh yeah thats my cumulative gpa so that does include my sci courses and u think i should work more on my EC or do they look fine? and also u know how for MD when u have a summer break the students do get research positions in or around their campus...are the same sort of opportunities available to OD students too?THnx bro

Pretty good chances. Any chance you could take some additional classes or retakes? You do know retakes will replace the old grade and therefore can boost your gpa very quickly. A 3.2 or so would really solidify your chances.

I have got couple of more questions...u know by any chance what schools accept Canadians? i know most of the DO get the family medicine residency but what are the other ones out there? oh yeah thats my cumulative gpa so that does include my sci courses and u think i should work more on my EC or do they look fine? and also u know how for MD when u have a summer break the students do get research positions in or around their campus...are the same sort of opportunities available to OD students too?THnx bro

If you want to see the types of residencies DO students are getting into, look at the threads on the 2008 Match list. Research opportunities are available for DO students if you want to spend your summer break doing research between yrs 1-2.

Some schools (like Nova) have support for a research year, same as MD schools.

If you want to see the types of residencies DO students are getting into, look at the threads on the 2008 Match list. Research opportunities are available for DO students if you want to spend your summer break doing research between yrs 1-2.

hey man u know if there admissions criteria for Canadian students is the same as US students?

its harder to get in as a canadian

Which school did you graduate from?
I am a Canadian, and have 5 interviews, three acceptance, and one wailist and one corresponded.

I got in my top choice (Western). The other two are AZCOM and TOUROCOM.

So I think you should be fine.

Which school did you graduate from?
I am a Canadian, and have 5 interviews, three acceptance, and one wailist and one corresponded.

I got in my top choice (Western). The other two are AZCOM and TOUROCOM.

So I think you should be fine.

here's a question, how do canadians view DO's? Is going to the states to get a DO viewed similar to going to the carib? I'm going to western too!

It does not matter how it is viewed. I will stay in the states afterwards anyway.

going with the "what are my chances" theme....is there such thing as a shoe-in for med school, specifially DO.

high GPA (3.7+), above average DO MCAT (high 20s/low 30s), good ECs, applied early, interest in osteopathic medicine....etc. is this a shoe-in for DO assuming he/she doesnt do something stupid at an an interview?

and no, i did not just describe myself. my GPA isn't nearly that high and I havent taken the MCATs yet. its just a general question if there is ever really a "shoe in" for med school

there isn't a shoe in for anything in life.

work the URM card.

Just looking for some input. I've been back and forth between PA and DO but I know I really want to go to Osteopathic medical school, just afraid I won't get in.. here's my stats
3.52 cumulative GPA
3.4 science (i think)
Taking the MCAT in July (hopefully get 28 or higher)
Health Professions Club (senator)
Biology Club
Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority (Philanthropic Chairperson)
Relay for life 3 years- team captain for 2007
Making strides breast cancer walk - 2 yrs
Nurses of faith volunteer- (help once a month after church w/ BP, BGM, etc screenings)
Nursing Assistant in Local ER (1 yr so far, continuing until I attend school)
Worked @ a hospital in outpatient lab for 2.5 years as a clerk, but greeted and registered patients

I think that's it.. I don't know if I am a good candidate or not? Nervous..:confused:

your stats are close to the stats of DO matriculates. get a 25 or higher on the MCAT and i think you are competitive. you have a variety of extracurriculars so you are good to go! study hard for the MCAT and good luck!

oh yeah, APPLY EARLY!!!!

but I know I really want to go to Osteopathic medical school, just afraid I won't get in..
Not applying because you're afraid you won't get in will in fact guarantee that you will not get in. Your stats look fine, muster up some self-confidence and realize you are a badass. Then get out there and make it happen.

its harder to get in as a canadian

This isnt always true. I'm Canadian, and i called all the schools i was interested in and asked if they treat canadians equally, quite a few said yes, so i applied to those ones. my list was:

AZCOM
UNECOM
CCOM
MSUCOM
TOUROCOM - NY
KCOM

i'm sure there are others, but these were just schools i personally liked and wanted to go to for one reason or the other.

here's a question, how do canadians view DO's? Is going to the states to get a DO viewed similar to going to the carib? I'm going to western too!

There arent a tonne of DOs in Canada, so I cant really say how they're viewed, but i would definitely say its not the same as going to the Carib. In fact, my family is so pumped i'm gonna be a DO, they were impressed i found the type of medicine I wanted to do, and totally support me. Also, i think a lot of us are coming to the states since we want to stay here. Ppl that want to go back to Canada usually just try canadian schools first, and if they dont get in they go straight to the carib....they dont take the time to look into USA options (either allo or osteo).

It does not matter how it is viewed. I will stay in the states afterwards anyway.

me too!!!! lol

DMU takes canucks as well

This isnt always true. I'm Canadian, and i called all the schools i was interested in and asked if they treat canadians equally, quite a few said yes, so i applied to those ones. my list was:

AZCOM
UNECOM
CCOM
MSUCOM
TOUROCOM - NY
KCOM

i'm sure there are others, but these were just schools i personally liked and wanted to go to for one reason or the other.

There arent a tonne of DOs in Canada, so I cant really say how they're viewed, but i would definitely say its not the same as going to the Carib. In fact, my family is so pumped i'm gonna be a DO, they were impressed i found the type of medicine I wanted to do, and totally support me. Also, i think a lot of us are coming to the states since we want to stay here. Ppl that want to go back to Canada usually just try canadian schools first, and if they dont get in they go straight to the carib....they dont take the time to look into USA options (either allo or osteo).

me too!!!! lol

Just looking for some input. I've been back and forth between PA and DO but I know I really want to go to Osteopathic medical school, just afraid I won't get in.. here's my stats
3.52 cumulative GPA
3.4 science (i think)
Taking the MCAT in July (hopefully get 28 or higher)
Health Professions Club (senator)
Biology Club
Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority (Philanthropic Chairperson)
Relay for life 3 years- team captain for 2007
Making strides breast cancer walk - 2 yrs
Nurses of faith volunteer- (help once a month after church w/ BP, BGM, etc screenings)
Nursing Assistant in Local ER (1 yr so far, continuing until I attend school)
Worked @ a hospital in outpatient lab for 2.5 years as a clerk, but greeted and registered patients

I think that's it.. I don't know if I am a good candidate or not? Nervous..:confused:

I think you have an EXTREMELY good shot, even if you end up getting a 25 on the MCAT. But obviously, 28 and over is a better goal, that will make it a lot easier. Good luck!

GPA: 3.64c 3.65s (3.86 over last two years)

MCAT: 27

-2 years working as EMT with over 500 calls ran

-40 hours shadowing D.O.

-60 volunteer hours (40 in ER, 20 in community service)

Basically I'm wondering if there are any schools that I don't have much of a chance at. Any information/tips/help appreciated!