2007 ada #82

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby Fischer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHAT A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, DOWNRIGHT UGLY (mis)representation of cyclohexane and two substituents. What is wrong with these people who disseminate this garbage?! (see attached jpeg)

For those who have taken the real DAT already: Did you encounter such a horribly drawn organic molecule from which you are expected to extract a correct answer?

I mean...if someone had drawn that nasty of a structure in my orgo class, they would have gotten a big fat F, let alone have the privilege of writing and administering an exam.

I am not impressed with the ADA test writing folks at this point (between all the errors and typos and what not on the 2007 practice exam so far anyways: it is downright pathetic!)

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2007 ADA 82.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 65
WHAT A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, DOWNRIGHT UGLY (mis)representation of cyclohexane and two substituents. What is wrong with these people who disseminate this garbage?! (see attached jpeg)

For those who have taken the real DAT already: Did you encounter such a horribly drawn organic molecule from which you are expected to extract a correct answer?

I mean...if someone had drawn that nasty of a structure in my orgo class, they would have gotten a big fat F, let alone have the privilege of writing and administering an exam.

I am not impressed with the ADA test writing folks at this point (between all the errors and typos and what not on the 2007 practice exam so far anyways: it is downright pathetic!)

For the most part my images were pretty clear and well drawn except 1 problem in Ochem were I couldn't tell which bond angle they were asking for, it really pissed me off. It seems to me like they do this to prevent perfect scores.

For the most part my images were pretty clear and well drawn except 1 problem in Ochem were I couldn't tell which bond angle they were asking for, it really pissed me off. It seems to me like they do this to prevent perfect scores.

Thanks for the feedback. Wish this site allowed the rep option.

Nothing to be done then? Other than to take the time to painstakingly do their job for them (which they certainly didn't have a time limit for (but maybe they are burdened with an intellect, ethical limit?):smuggrin:) and redraw each option?

I suppose if this is the case, when I see a problem as crappily drawn as this on the real thing, I will mark a letter quickly, mark for review, and then come back to it and redraw the options if I have the time.

What pisses me off is that this is such an easy problem. The concept is not hard but they totally are not testing for understanding the concept here, they are just negligent on their part of presenting a clear question. Crap In: Crap Out. Ask me an unintelligible question and there is no doubt the answer is going to be unintelligible. Any 'correct' answer is just luck and stats. what idiots and what a load of BS.

There simply is no shame anymore on the part of these monolithic corporate entities who cut every corner when they can and make everyone else pick up their slack. Totally negligent. Doesn't inspire confidence in the ADA and the notion that they are self responsible professionals (insert image of violin playing):(

revolution now. no justice no peace:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the answer B? lol

After redrawing A-E as best as I think they meant to, yes the answer I can justify is B and matches the answer key (on this problem anyways :rolleyes:)

that is, B is the one in the chair conformation and is equatorial, equatorial.

trick so u will never have to redraw or have ambiguity with cyclohexanes:

look at the 2 sharpest verticies, the direction in which each 'sharp vertex' points is the direction of the axial substituent.