1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

2007 PM&R rank order lists

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by dc2md, Feb 20, 2007.

1. dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just wanted to start the thread...i'll post mine in a couple days. i think if we include a little something about why we put program x above program y, this would be very beneficial for the applicants next year...just a thought.

2. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Haha...j/k! I can almost feel coals turning into diamonds on this forum!!! Maybe tomorrow:D Good luck everyone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. laugh qd

laugh qd I triple-dog-dare you
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bottom to top, here it is...
    (I'll add my thoughts on why different programs ranked higher or lower later)

12. Wayne State/Detroit Medical Center
    11. Medical College of Wisconsin
    10. University of Cincinnati
    9. University of Pennsylvania
    8. Schwab/University of Chicago
    7. Loyola University
    6. Harvard Spaulding
    5. Mayo Clinic
    4. University of Colorado
    3. Northwestern/RIC 3yr
    2. Northwestern/RIC 4yr
    1. University of Michigan

nothing to be ashamed of! if only you could ALL feel what this weight off your shoulders feels like :laugh:

4. kaizen

kaizen The Last Airbender
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In the end, I ranked based on location, program flexibility and gut. I interviewed at 12 programs and ranked them all.

9. U Mich - great program. Ann Arbor was a little too small and cold for me. Some of the friendliest residents I met.

8. Columbia/Cornell - great faculty, happy residents, on the 'chiller' side in nyc. Weaker didactics. Commuting: need a car. I personally didn't like their curriculum's organization and felt put-off by some of their formality. I've been told it's only an interview-day thing, but I got it on more than a few interactions.

6/7: UW: This was my favorite program. I liked the residents. I liked the faculty. I appreciated the strong emhasis on didactics. In the end, seattle was too far away from home. Otherwise, this would have easily been my #1.

4/5. RIC: best program structure. best day-to-day didactics. closer to home, but not close enough.

3. Spaulding: I hate Boston and they have an awful PGY2 year, but after that I could pretty much do whatever it is I wanted. I have good friends in the area and the commute back home is easier than from Chicago. Plus, they generally take care of their own. That says something to me.

2. Kessler: I've lived in Jersey before and wasn't looking forward to going back. However, Susan Garstang was one of my favorite PD's and Dr. Delisa was well-connected and forward thinking. Plus, it's not that far from nyc. Residents were content. I ranked it below Sinai for location, lack of electives, and recent changes within the system (loss of atlantic health system, Delisa planning to retire before I would graduate). Still a great program.

1. Sinai: I love NYC. This is a problem I just could not fix on the interview trail. I rotated here and know the pitfalls - hard calls at Sinai, variable didactic strength, not-so-cheap housing, etc. But I also found it to be the more 'adjustable' program in manhattan. I get along well with the PD, chair, and many faculty. The opportunity for interventional exposure is much higher now. They also are starting a Sports & Spine fellowship this July. They already have an SCI fellowship in place and Sinai's anes. dept has accepted a Sinai PM&R resident into their pain fellowship. These are all possible areas that I may want to practice in. Also, considering that none of the manhattan programs are considered 'tops', if I want to get a job in the NY area the Sinai name (as an institution) is well respected and recognized. I also can say that about NY Pres. But I don't wanna have to commute that much.

5. hyper_74

hyper_74 Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's mine, pretty much midwest.

9/10. U of Minnesota - liked the place, close to home, although I've always liked Minneapolis, traffic can be bad especially with 4-5 sites around the city, and housing is pretty expensive compared to all my other places, would rather be in a smaller city with my family (exception was Denver)

8. Indiana University - liked Indianapolis, seemed like very good training and liked the residents I met with, low cost of living, wasn't too excited about the idea of in-house call, lower salary, furthest from home

7. Med Col of Wisconsin - originally thought this was going to be much higher, I have to admit that some things that were posted on SDN and have heard on the interview trail about MCW made it fall a bit.

6. U of Missouri-Columbia - my gut wanted this one higher on the list, loved the college town, like the idea of it only taking 5 minutes to drive to work from your brand new home that you bought for only $115,000, I thought the facilities were the best I saw at all interviews; no fellowship opportunities and a little too far from family

5. U of Kansas - rotated here and really liked it and the PD was great, lots of great changes planned for KU like remodeling inpatient rehab unit, moving PM&R offices to nicer part of hospital, and new outpatient/spine center. Also trying to add a few new faculty. one problem is very low residency salary.

4. U of Colorado - some family in Denver, Colorado is great and I wouldn't mind improving on my horrible snowboarding skills, I went against my gut with this pick as the interview day seemed a little strange and got a weird feeling, but the quality of training and my peds interest moved CU up my list

3. U of Wisconsin - loved Madison and Big 10 atmosphere and its smaller size, residents VERY happy

1/2. Mayo Clinic - great training, especially EMG, closest to home, really liked Rochester and its size for my family, Residents were great and all seemed happy, I originally wanted a place with only 3-4 residents per class (Mayo has 8), but I just felt really good about Mayo.

I really would be happy anywhere on my list, even last choice, I didn't interview anywhere that I'm not going to rank.

6. armonia

armonia New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Continuing the reverse order tradition:

10. UC Irvine
    9. NYU/Rusk
    8. Stanford
    7. U of Michigan
    6. UC Davis
    5. UMDNJ/Kessler
    4. Northwestern/RIC
    3. Harvard/Spaulding
    2. NYP/Columbia-Cornell
    1. U of Washington

7. P Willi

P Willi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Mine is based on:
    Location, well rounded ciriculum, gut, how hands on the program was, looking at some of my special intrests in PM&R

Awesome
    RIC-great all around program, expensive area of chicago, still a great place with really nice PD and really well rounded program
    U of M-great all around program, tons of hands on procedures, loved Ann Arbor, residents were very happy
    UW-great all aroudn program, loved Seattle, MSK was weaker, but is quickly improving

Great
    Davis- close of home, strong MSK, one of the best Peds experiences
    Kessler- awesome program, just in the wrong place. New facility, slight changes in MSK, not sure if relationship with Atlantic Health is going to be changing in the future or not
    Mayo- awesome program, just in the wrong location for me
    Rush- Strong sports and MSK

Good
    Indiana- awesome PD, great outpatient, just didn't like Indy as much
    Schwab- awesome PD, busy inpatient, in south side chicago
    U of Wiscon- awesome PD, great outpatient, felt that inpatient was a little weaker

Program not ranked:
    Temple: Know the program is great, but my interview day was just chaotic. Missed lunch, because was given bad directions. No carpool, taxi, or directions give for student to go from Elkin's to Temple Hos. Happened to couple other students I talked with. Evenwhen i got to the hospital, I had no idea where I was suppose to go to.

8. OP
    OP
    dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry, but I'm gonna buck the system. I guess I like more of the traditional 1-10 order.

1 - THE Ohio State University: advanced
    -- my best program; in my home state; awesome MSK; great alumni base; 3yr first b/c OSU intern year is a b*tch; great cost of living; really liked Dr. Clinchot (program director); hate that you have to pay for parking (and not cheap either); awesome lunch at fancy restaurant

2 - THE Ohio State University: categorical
    -- b/c even with it's killer intern year it's still the best

3 - UT Southwestern: advanced
    -- great MSK; great procedures; good pay; excellent cost of living; program coordinator is the best I've met

4 - East Carolina University/Pitt County: categorical
    -- medium program with nice attendings; a little too much inpt; awesome cost of living; love the college town; 4yr above 3yr b/c why move twice and b/c i already liked the med program; paid for nights stay & dinner

5 - East Carolina University/Pitt County: advanced
    -- same reasons above

6 - Louisiana State University: categorical
    -- did rotation with them and liked 'em; awesome weather; program kind of crazy right now though; hard getting 200 EMGs; high cost of living; too many interviewers (7 i think)

7 - Marianjoy: advanced
    -- surprisingly liked 'em; more difficult to get fellowship though; have family in Chicago; went to chiropractic school there; cold *ss weather though; high cost of living

8 - Eastern Virginia: advanced
    -- too much peds (and not easy peds); surprisingly high cost of living; nice hours; recent ACGME problems; liked the residents I met; pizza for lunch

9 - Nassau U: advanced
    -- Long Island is great; way high cost of living; really nice residents; poor correspondence when I emailed them (gave me a bad taste); cafeteria lunch

10 - Miami/Jackson Memorial: advanced
    -- loved the weather but didn't really like the area; bad traffic; high cost of living; program director was great and is putting together a great program; don't speak spanish:scared:

Backup: a little "just-in-case"
    11 - Christ Hospital Cincinnati med prelim
    -- thought better to get fellowship if ended up in IM; awesome program director and attendings; Mama is 1.5hrs away:D night float

12 - Jewish Hospital Cincinnati med prelim
    -- loved the program director and attendings; awesome cost of living; felt fellowship options would be less than with Christ

13 - East Carolina University med prelim
    -- loved the program director; same reasons above for the PM&R program

14 - Greenville Hospital, SC med prelim
    -- possibly the best med program but far away from family and PM&R programs; low cost of living; program director was very nice; great hospital; beautiful city; would love to practice here some day

15 - New Hanover med prelim
    -- liked the town (Wilmington, NC); program was good (not great); most random interview day (left bad taste)

** Yep, being a US born IMG certainly hurt my choices...here's other info about me http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4522302&postcount=5
    ** I'll update more if I think of it

9. Brooklyndo2.1

Brooklyndo2.1 polytrauma monkey...
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    here is mine, locked and loaded.
    I broke down one day and devided my rank list into top and bottom down the middle. For each I made three categories 1. Academics 2. Location (obviously a personal pref) and 3. "Gut" then I ranked each program and counted up the number they were ranked by (lower being better) . If there were ties, the ties were broken by either gut category or most commonly by which had the lowest (or highest) outlier for the program. So basically if two programs scored a 5, and one did it due to academics and one did it due to location, then gut was the tie breaker.

my list

1 . U of M : gave me the best combination of gut, location, and percievd quality of training. (i have a feeling everyone and their mom (well a lot of us so far) put this first
    2. Kessler/UMDNJ
    cant beat the rep, good residents, decent attendings (to work with) great education, but i didnt like jersey , but oh well.
    3. Temple .... very close to kessler, loved the location more but the "name" beat out.
    4. Metrohealth in Cleveland *CRW" : good vibe, nice place to live, put it as advanced so Im not too thrilled about my chances statistically
    5. JFK - - Great place, dislike the location, but at least its close to home without being in nyc (I am trying to get out of nyc)
    6. Jeff in Philly.... second look gave me an odd vibe, like they are a bit not what id want in the perfect world.
    7. UVA - loved the program, heard some concerning things about some aspects of education, mostly a gut choice.
    8/9 - Baylor houston alliance - great program, but a bit too large/intimidating sounding to me, and a bit too far.
    10. Stoneybrook - my one concession to being in anything with NY in the name - good place for clinical training, weird gut vibe, but deserved to be ranked in my book (plus if i go to a place im not excited about, at least call is a joke)
    11. Denver- good training. Liked the city...Horrible vibe on interview day
    12. Indianapollis - and "eh" program on all accounts for me, but not unwilling to go
    13. Rush - liked the program, didnt seem to like chicago for some reason
    14.Mercy in Pitt- id rather not scramble.

Lutheran Medical Center matched for prelim traditional osteopathic internship. 1 rank, one hit. Yay

10. laugh qd

laugh qd I triple-dog-dare you
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    P Willi and Brooklyn... I hope we all end up at the same place :luck:

As for reasoning behind why certain programs were ranked higher than others:
    1. UofM: I appreciated the sincerity of the residents and the casual, yet professional, atmosphere. Ties to the city for family reasons made this an even easier choice.
    2. RIC: I think it was under Michigan only for the size fot he program and that I think I'm ready to move out of Chicago. That being said, I certainly wouldn't have an ounce of disappointment in me if I matched here. Dr. Sliwa and those others I interviewed with were quite an honest and non-pretentious bunch... I left my interview day feeling like this wasn't just a name program, but one I would enjoy along the way.
    3. UofCO: I rotated here and really enjoyed it. My resident was awesome, she definitely made the rotation quite fun... Thanks Erin! I know that if I match here, I'll learn a ton and have some great extracurriculars to keep me sane. The atmosphere was positive, the faculty was extremely knowledgeable with a very diverse training background, which I value tremendously. I would have ranked it higher, but the soon-to-be husband had to have some say in where he could find work!
    4. Mayo: Wow. This program impressed me start to finish, as did the residents I spoke with. Rochester wasn't what scared me off from ranking it higher, it was merely the job prospects for my counterpart. No matter, though, If I matched here I will definitely have a superb and solid training experience... and one of the most important criteria for me... will this program allow me to go anywhere after I finish? the answer: absolutely.
    5. Boston: the only cons I can really think of at this point was the expense of uprooting/relocating in Boston. Coming from Chicago, I know that sounds funny, but if I was going to train in a major city, I guess I would have to give preference to Chicago.
    After this, my list gets a little hazy. Much has to do with program size i.e. Loyola was impressive, only very small... same as Cincinnati.
    OK, I think I've ranted enough. If you have specific questions, let me know. Otherwise, good luck everyone!

11. RuNnR

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Boston Back Ups...got friends and love boston.
    13. Tufts
    12.Boston Univ.

Don't worry Be Happy
    11. UVA adv.....gut
    10.UVA cat....gut
    9. Stanford.....gut
    8.UC Davis adv....gut
    7. UC Davis cat.....gut
    ****this I just ranked like if they were my only 3 choices. where would i most, 2nd most, least like to be. all good programs. be happy at any. may be weird with stanford in middle but i'd rather be in cali over virginia. that's just me.

I feel like slappin' my medicine resident! (she sucks)
    6. Hopkins.......this WAS my #1 until PD left 2go2 UW to be sports guy.....
    5. UT Houston....diddo baylor comment below
    4. baylor...great elite program. houston's just not my thang.
    3. ohio state adv.....for same reasons dc2md stated above
    2. ohio state cat.....didn't know the prelim year sucked. but whatever.
    1. Univ of CO.....was just feelin' it. I want trails to run on, hiking, outdoorsy stuff around. Friends. Great program. I don't care that I wouldn't see the residents all the time. (small spread out program).

12. catullus39

catullus39 Mr. Friendly
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    8. Schwab

7,6 U of Minn

5,4 UC Davis

3,2 Rush

1. U of Wisc

What can I say? Im a minimalist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Finally M3

Finally M3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck to y'all who ranked us #1:clap: I'd love to say I'll see you when you're PGY2s but I'll have graduated by then.

Actually, hope everyone matches where they want to go! :laugh:

14. thewza

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It was a difficult process, but here was my thinking:

1) NY Presbyterian (Columbia/Cornell): I think the program is top to bottom extremely strong with very unique learning opportunities (Sloan-Kettering cancer rehab, Hopital for Special Surgery, burn rehab). The faculty seem very involved. The rehab units are not enormous in size like some other places, which keeps the work load managable. The housing and location in NYC were huge factors for me. Yes, they seem a bit uptight and micromanaging, but I'm hoping that that will lead to really good learning experiences and not big headaches.

2) Temple: I loved this program. I would just rather live in NYC. It seems like such a happy place to work. This was the tightest most upbeat group of residents I saw at any program. Plus, it seems like a great learning environment. Very impressive.

3) Emory: Very strong, upcoming program. Phenomenal and kind program director. Great opportunities for interventional procedures, plus access to a world class rehab facility (Shepherd Center).

4) Johns Hopkins: Wasn't so excited about this program, but my wife passed the bar exam in Maryland so that bumped it up. I loved the PD, Dr. Krabak - incredible sports doc. But, he's leaving so that brings the program down for me.

5) UW: My favorite program. Loved the program. Loved the location. My wife didn't want to move to Seattle. End of story.

6) Kessler: Amazing program. A little too intense for me.

7) U of Colorado: Nice program. Nice people. Just was not blown away.

8) UCLA: I found them pretentious. The program is not as good as they think they are. This was the only interview (out of 10) that I felt they could care less about me.

That's the story! We'll see what happens. Good look everybody!

15. MikeShanahan

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm just going to put down these programs in my tiers (not necessarily my rank order)

Top tier (would be very happy at any of these):
    UW - (+): been adding good MSK faculty and already have strong neuro-rehab reputation, active and happy residents, Seattle's not for everyone but I like it (-): only 1 month elective
    RIC - (+): strong and deep in pretty much every area, 4 months electives, I've spent some time there and I'm definitely a Dr. Sliwa fan (-): nasty cold weather
    Spaulding - (+): Struck me as very dynamic, fast riser, liked the residents, unheard of 9 months electives, must admit it's hard to not fall in love with the name (-): tough, front-loaded schedule
    UCLA - (+): location location location, light call schedule and from home, chill and happy residents, I like that they spread inpatient over the whole 3 years (-): lotsa time at VA's, driving in LA

Middle tier (feel like I would still do well coming from these programs):
    Kessler - (+): an abundance of learning, top tier reputation, really liked Dr. Garstang (-): location not for me, scattered sites
    Stanford - (+): #1 place both me and the GF would like to live in the US, nice hospitals (-): a little concerned about resident happiness and workload demands
    Columbia/Cornell - (+): well-rounded experience, liked the residents (-): The housing benefit is nice, but I thought it's still the lowest pay considering the city, very spread out locations

Bottom tier (some good programs here, but just not for me):
    Colorado - (+): thought they had a balanced, well-designed curriculum, home call, nice people (-): program is smaller than I'd like, not interested in digging my car out of the snow
    UC Irvine - (+): great location, happy, laid-back residents (-): would like a little more structure in the education, also smaller than I'd like
    NYU - (+): I like the big class size and 3 months electives (-): rotated there and didn't like the feel, expensive city
    UC Davis - (+): liked the faculty that I met, not cheap, but more affordable to live here compared to most other places on my list (-): again, small class size and last on my list of places I'd prefer to live

16. philaPMR

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    been lurking a long time. thought now would be a good time to jump in. thanks for everyone for all the info they've posted on this forum. as you can see i have strong ties to philly.

1. Temple - loved the atmosphere. interactions among/between residents and faculty made it seem like a great place to work everyday. strong name/fellowship placement/job prospects. can't say enough good things.
    2. Jefferson - great facilities. residents universally praise PD. center city location. just got a better gut from temple.
    3. Penn - considered ranking higher. PD committed to making the program elite in next 5 years. addition of new stand alone rehab hospital (supposedly it will be ready in 15 months) will make it happen.
    4. Kessler - what's not to like? just too far for me.
    5. JFK - incredible didactics/board review. too small and isolated for me.
    6. Mt. Sinai - genuinely warm PD. Seemed strong overall. Residents looked tired.
    7/8 Nassau/Stonybrook - have family on long island.

17. DrGucciGal

DrGucciGal Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, I'll still be around. I can't wait to see who we get. All the applicants this year were great; I would love to work with pretty much ALL of them. I probably meet you guys when you came through...so good luck. Actually good luck to everyone, hope the match goes your way!

18. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at so many places and at the end I only really saw myself at 2 places: Chicago or Seattle. I'm glad that I interviewed at so many b/c I really got a sense of where I would be "happy." So overall, I guess the questions that I asked myself that generated this list are:
    1) Do I see myself living this city?
    2) How far from family are you?
    3) What was your gut feeling about the program?
    4) Do you feel that they offer a well-rounded education?

#1/2 RIC - Rotated there and loved it. Great residents and attendings. Absolutely LOVE the city!

#3/4 UW - This was a wildcard. I totally did not expect to like this program as much as I did. Great well-rounded program. Active residents. It's amazing how having a great interview plays a role in the whole process. UW is a little too far from family.

#5 Kessler- Extremely strong didactics with emphasis on research. I really liked the attendings I met, especially Dr. Kirshblum. Not a big fan of the area and I really want to live in a city vs da 'burbs. However, the program is close to my family and NYC isn't that far away. I've heard that there is "a lot" of commuting but I don't think it's bad.

#6 Jefferson- Very friendly atmosphere to train. I did a second look at the program and saw myself working there. Residents were very helpful and friendly. Center City is a cool little part of Philly.

#7/8 Baylor/UT- It is a very inpt heavy program, which is a negative for a lot of people. However, I am more inpt vs. outpt so I think it's fine. Very strong and well rounded program. Did a 2nd look of the city. Not a big fan of Houston. However, the housing is dirt cheap!

#9 JFK- Dr. Cuccurullo is such an awesome person. I had such a great interview with her and I really felt like she genuinely cares about her residents, not that other PDs don't:) Smaller program. 'Da burbs again but close to family.

#10 Carolinas- Honestly feel like this is one of those programs that are very strong but not much press. Cheap housing. Residents very nice. Most of them are married with kids. Felt like I wanted a "younger" city.

#11 UC Davis- I really liked the attendings and residents I spoke with. Again, a little too far from family.

#12 UPMC- Attendings and residents seemed pretty cool. UPMC system is a great system to work within. Great well rounded training. Not a big fan of Pittsburgh but it's close to family.

19. kiwi219

kiwi219 Member
    10+ Year Member

DC2MD asked me to post my rank order list :)
    I'm probably not in the same boat as most of you here because I will be getting married this summer, so it really limited my options to the northeast. Then, in the middle of the interview season my options became even more limited when my fiance landed a great job on long island. So, here it is:

1. Stony Brook
    2. NUMC
    3. NYU
    4. NY Presbyterian
    5. Mount Sinai
    6. St. Vincent
    7. Kessler
    8. LIJ

20. weschay

Resident [Any Field]
    for me, I really thought about a lot of factors: the program, life in the city, the feel of the locals, family, friends, church, weather, food, etc. and I'd really be happy going to any of the programs I ranked and even though it seems like 1 is so far away from 9, there really is a lot less space between these programs for me . . . . there was only one program that I interviewed at that I didn't rank . . . so here it is:

1) Emory - the program itself is really strong. I really liked Dr. Schaufele, the PD, and the residents seem very happy and they work hard, but are well-prepared when they leave. Plus, it's in the SE, which is close to home for me. Lots of friends in atl, social support, great cheap chinese food on Buford Hwy. Nice upscale restaurants if you like it. Travel on interstate can be bad, but you can get around taking local roads without too much hassle even at peak hours. And Shepherd rehab hospital is amazing. And Dr. Lin, who pimps a lot, is an awesome attending who is a paraplegic himself, as well as Atlanta's wheelchair tennis champion. He told me that if I have the chance in the future, that he'd take me on on the tennis court. lol

2) Jefferson - Have always heard great things about this program. Residents were very real and candid with their experience at residency. Everyone loves Dr. Formal, and it is a smaller program than Temple. More of a family feel. Strong in SCI

3) Temple - Strong program, very friendly residents, everyone seems really happy there too. Strong in TBI, but I really like how there is integration between facilities between Jeff and Temple. they can jump on at each others' facilities if they want. And philly is a great city.

4) Baylor in Dallas - I small program, but I really had a great experience there on my interview trail. They really have a nice broad experience of everything you want to see, and they have this awesome Children's rehab center called the Children's House . . . really quite exceptional.

5) University of Rochester - I'm from a small college town, and I just really liked how Rochester reminded me of my home for the past 8 years. Everybody was friendly and their facilities are really nice. Dr. Poduri really takes feedback from her residents and she does her best to make it the best program they can offer. I really liked their structure for their transitional year.

6) University of Kentucky, Lexington - Likewise, it is a small college town city, with friendly southern hospitality. I might even say that I thought this was my best interview, as far as how I felt, and how they seemed to respond to me. I think this is a "sleeper" program in that it's probably not deemed to be a stellar program, but I think they have a lot to offer, and they will be more and more recognized as a stronger program, especially in the SE.

7) St. Vincents - Strong program in NY. It's a relatively small program, but they pretty much place all their residents in top fellowships if they want it. Great feel from the interview . . . was one of my first ones, and if you are looking for a program that won't hover over your back, and will provide you the space to grow and learn as you want, this is the program for you.

8) Wayne State - Great new facilities, and really friendly residents. It's Detroit, and it's cold, but my impression was that you would get a good solid foundation and be well prepared to either be an attending or go to a fellowship.

9) Albert Einstein - One of the oldest programs in the country. Some amazing attendings, and just a wealth of knowledge and experience. The coolest attending I met here was blind and a concert pianist, and we just chatted about music for a good part of the interview.

hope that helps. those are just some thoughts of mine and why I ranked what I ranked where. And all these things are subjective anyway. Follow your "gut" or "heart" and it would really be better for you to be somewhere for four years where at least you enjoy it, than somewhere that you resent it despite it's name. God bless.

21. TUCOMSam

TUCOMSam Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    WOW how many new members are there suddenly with this thread?? Cool to see. Anyway, I wasn't really planning on submitting my ROL (out of a little superstition...) but after getting 3 pvt messages to post it, I figured I might as well hop on the band wagon! ;)

Top to Bottom:

1) TJU: loved it! enough said. :) compared every other program to it. Good name, happy residents, philly's really not too bad after all, PD is great, lunch on interview day is what clinched it (a joke of course... but it really WAS the best lunch!)

2) Indiana: didn't expect this going into the interview, but wow... PD is awesome, residents were the happiest I met, strong msk, numerous opportunities to learn outside of curriculum, Indy isn't too bad (pleasant surprise), COL a major plus (coming from SoCal, this is huge)

3) Schwab: Again, PD is out of this world, reputation is a plus, love chicago, residents wonderful, got asked to stick around after the interview to follow Dr. Gittler...that's what clinched this position (A+), inpt heavy first year, but really evens out over all.

4&5) Baylor/UT: was sick at this interview and had only memories of being ill, but looked back at my notes and really realized how positive of an impression it gave me. Huge program makes it at this level on my ROL, but if it were a bit smaller it would move up probably. Houston also not a GREAT city IMO, but workable. Can't argue the reputation. PD is positioned well to make things happen. Young guy with great expectations on the horizon. Would be extrememly happy to match here.

6) Columbia/Cornell: Toss up with Baylor/UT honestly, but had to think realistically about the prospect of living in Manhattan and wasn't convinced it was for me but with the housing it seemed do-able. Really appreciated the presentation of the program throughout the long interview day. Found the high number of interviews to be an advantage for me to see a number of faculty, which of course were all great. This program seems to be headed in the right direction and would also be honored to match here.

7) Rush University: Rotated here and liked it. Still love chicago. Like the university affiliation. Would be happy to match here... gotta admit, Chicago is the biggest reason for the rank number.

8) Marianjoy: More than pleasantly surprised on interview day. PD wonderful.
    Little bit concerned with the free standing hospital without any university affiliation. Fewer alumni connections after grad. Beautiful hospital however. Wheaton also seems like a nice family subburb (even though I'm mid-20's and single) ;) oops, that sounded like a personals ad. Wouldn't mind the strong medicine here... find that important (ie. as with Schwab)

9) Kansas University: This program has it's sh** together. The residents are superb. The didactics are strong. The facilities are pretty damn nice (esp. childrens). PD has been there a long time and is still very progressive with the changing times. So, KC... despite the BBQ it's famous for... I just really can't put myself in needless higher odds of having to live there... BUT I could if I had to. Would prefer going to that great program in a city I don't like than to have to scramble. By the way, no offense to those out there who love KC... just not what I'm used to... :)

10) NYU: Had to rank it cuz I couldn't think of any red-flags really (except the damn dolls) ;) But wasn't falling in love while there. Again the same Manhattan issues apply (only cuz I haven't spent much time there). Residents were not my cup of tea (overheard them talking about a particular applicant that day who they thought was homosexual... wasn't pleasant to hear)... none of them really seemed very happy to be there. PD was not one of my favorites to chat with. Panel interview was kinda strange. Facilities old. Maybe this one should've been lower on the list. Guess Manhattan beats Dallas, Milwaukee, & Kansas City. :confused:

11) Medical College of Wisconsin: Unfortunately, I had to take some comments on this forum to heart since I can't prove otherwise they're untrue. Some of the comments of which dropped this program from a much higher number on my list. :( Sad but true. I usually take things with a grain of salt, but given other programs I'd be happier at, I figured I'd still rank it, but at the bottom. Still maintain there are a ton of good things happening at MCW. PD & chair are a good yin&yang to help it develop in the positive direction. Very strong research emphasis was a turn-off. MKE not a great city IMO... especially the blizzard the day of my interview. A couple senior residents also gave me some uneasiness in their answers during the social the night before (basically told me if I have better options to pursue them)... whatever.

12) Baylor - Dallas Similar to KC I guess, but left less of an impression with me. Hated Dallas (sorry Dallas peeps). Tour was so long that I found myself wishing to go home... It was a last minute addition to my interview trail and figured I might as well not burn any bridges in terms of possibilities, so here it is at the end of my list. Would still rather go here than scramble into a program I haven't seen. Nothing major stands out in pros/cons really.

Ok, there it is. Hope I didn't jinx myself... March 15 is right around the corner... can't wait for the next thread "Match Results: Where are y'all goin?" :)

22. thesage

thesage New Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    After all the interviewing, I really only liked four programs total.

4) Univ of Michigan - great overall program, good MSK, good peds, great research, but I am not from the midwest and the cold scares me.

3) UC Irvine - Great location, happy attendings, medium sized program

2) UNC - up and coming, great research opportunities with Duke and own departments integrative medicine group, strong MSK

1) UC Davis - loved the program, did a rotation and felt is was the best fit, liked all the attendings, the residents, and I am from Nor Cal.

23. dancerMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh:

#23 dancerMD, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  24. OP
    OP
    dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yep, i pm'd quite a few people :D. many people got way better and way more interviews than me and i'm just curious how things turned out for them. i love seeing these rank orders. it seems like location is one of the biggest factors for a lot of us. and it's interesting to see when someone ranks one of the bigger named programs lower. it's all just amusement for me....gotta keep myself entertained during my radiology elective. good luck everyone!!! :D

25. zwasfeli

2+ Year Member

Ouch!

26. TUCOMSam

TUCOMSam Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

LMAO! :laugh: gotta appreciate bluntness!

27. Godzilla777

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What was important to me was fit, quality and well-roundedness of education/teaching, location, reputation, and overall gut. But, as rehab sports dr said in a different thread, I'm going to make the most of wherever I go.

1. UMDNJ/NJMS - Best part of the program I feel are the residents and attendings. Maybe its because I was able to do a couple rotations there, but I felt so welcomed and part of their community. Plus, I actually like NJ (Jersey Shore, AC, Hoboken, DC/NYC/Boston is a train away) and don't mind driving (not a fan of traffic but I've realized that there is traffic in most places).

2. RIC - Was flip-flopping b/t this and NJMS, and in terms of what I thought was important in a program, they both scored even. However, although I liked Chicago, not a fan of the weather and all my family/friends are in the East.

3. Mayo Clinic - Again, scored very similarly. Hospital is beautiful and the people were great. However, wouldn't know a soul there outside of residency.

4. Virginia Commonwealth - I knew this program was great on paper, but the interview day really made me rank it highly. Meeting Drs. Cifu and McKinley really made my time there enjoyable. I think the overall education is great, especially if you want to do procedures.

These I'll keep comments shorter cause I don't want to bore anyone. I'm sure most people just want to see the list.

5. Jefferson - Great overall exposure, residents seemed very happy, great part of Philly.
    6. Cornell-Columbia - Affiliated hospitals are awesome like HSS, nice housing but I really don't want to live in NYC.
    7. Mt. Sinai - good overall program, residents work hard and they seem happy, again don't want to live in NYC
    8. Temple - residents seem to get along great
    9. NYU - no/little subsidized housing, don' want to live in NYC
    10. Univ. Virginia - strong in MSK, but seemed to lack in other aspects of PM&R
    11. UMDNJ/JFK - teaching is excellent but I like the academic programs more
    12. UPenn - thought the residents and attendings i met were great, just worried bout overall exposure
    13. Johns Hopkins - sad that PD is going to UW

Hope this is suffice. Now I hope I didn't jinx myself. Good luck everyone

28. OP
    OP
    dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    good to see not everyone is afraid of jinxing themselves. i'm mean come on guys, jinxes are for sports, not medicine career decisions. let the rank lists fly. :D

29. Brooklyndo2.1

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    but what if youre really into SPORTSmedicine?
    :)

30. OP
    OP
    dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well then you're just screwed!!! :D

31. ampDO

ampDO New Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, here's my ROL. Good luck to everyone on the match!

1. UCI
    2. UCLA
    3. Nassau
    4. Rush
    5. St. Vincent's
    6. Columbia/Cornell
    7. Thomas Jefferson
    8. Tufts
    9. NYU

32. jofutti

2+ Year Member

Hi all! I don't know if this will help, because I had an extremely difficult time deciding how to rank my programs. I had a ton of factors that I considered, to a point where there was never a clear winner. I have a huge folder full of NRMP certification e-mails, cuz I changed my list so often. Toward the end, I just got really confused, threw my hands up, and went with gut to limit it down to tiers, and in essence, flipped a coin when deciding where to move programs around. I'm not really concerned where I end up, because I think I'll get the training I want at any of the places I ranked. So anyway, with the proper coaxing by dc2md, here it is. So I will do it in tiers, cuz I don't really remember where I ended up placing some of them... :p

Super super happy
    Jeff- I could see myself training here when I walked around. It would be a new city for me which is good and bad. I thought the residents were super cool, and I enjoyed talking to the faculty during my interviews.

MCW- SDN scared me about this program, but I still had such a positive vibe when I was here. I also like the various settings that you get to rotate through. Throughout the process, I kept telling others I liked the program, but I was unsure of Milwaukee and things mentioned here.

Schwab- I love the faculty, the residents, and Chicago. I could see myself very happy here, but I think there are other programs that have a larger variety of clinical experiences.

Super happy

Rush- I love Chicago, and the residents are happy. They have great outpatient experiences.

Temple- The residents seemed to really get along well with the attendings, and the PD seemed very laid back.

NYU- I love NYC, and this was in the top, but I did a second visit to confirm how I felt and was shocked by my second "gut" feeling.

Mt Sinai- Again, love NYC (can you tell I'm a big city person?). Additionaly, I don't think you can go wrong with a program that is model system in both TBI and SCI. I just felt there were a couple residents who loved it and were very vocal about that, and then a couple who were super quiet and who seemed kinda just blah about it.

Happy

Marianjoy- I feel like this would set me up well to be a private physician, if that's what I want in the future, but I don't know what I want to do when I grow up yet (clearly). It's a little too far from Chicago, but I thought the PD was super nice and gave off that fatherly vibe.

UT San Antonio- I like that you start your rehab training during your pgy-1 year, but I'm not sure about this "big city with a small town feel" bit.

Cincinnati- This is an excellent program if you want to do peds rehab. You get lots of attention here, but it's extremely small. Not confident you can really meet people in this city. :p

I did not rank St. Vincent's, because I don't think it would give me the training I want.

33. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Great to see some folks headed to Stony Brook and/or LI!

dc

34. bonjuju

bonjuju Member
    7+ Year Member

dc2md inspired me, so here goes:
    I like the "tiers" idea, since I had a hard time ranking. I interviewed at 11, and ranked all. My decisions were based on gut, support system, perceived breadth of education, and the fact that I don't quite know yet what I will do post residency. Sorry not more detail, but by now it is all spinning in my mind and I don't have it in me to drag out the excel spreadsheet!
    Tiers, in alphabetical (not actual) order:
    1st tier: (ecstatic to match)
    OSU:
    Pro's: incredible school + Ernie Johnson (didn't have the guts to ask how long he'll be there, but he seems pretty invincible!), opportunity to moonlight, sort of close to family.
    Cons: Columbus is OK, but not a dream city, 1st year apparently intense (intern)
    RIC
    Pros: What can I say? Great education in an amazing setting, friendly, happy residents.
    Cons: Chicago traffic, farther from family/friends
    UW
    Pros: Great program, great city, lots of friends in the area
    Cons: far from family, expensive (relatively)

2nd: (very happy to match)
    CASE METRO: Good overall program, I think it will continue to get stronger under Dr. Clark, liked the residents and faculty that I met. Second tier for me due to location and liking programs that are a bit larger.
    JEFF: I just had a good feel about this program. Philly is not quite where I want to be, but I would be happy here. Residents all friendly and seemed pleased with their choice.
    MAYO: This one was hard. I actually think that this is the best program in the country (maybe tying with RIC), and would have ranked #1, but location is pretty important to my well-being. This is a perfect program if you are married or have contacts, I would have a hard time in the area as a single with no family/friends.
    SPAULDING: Great program. Pros: 4th year flexibility. Cons: 4th year flexibility! I decided I actually wanted a bit more overall structure. Boston is a great place, but very expensive.
    U PITT: I think this is a strong overall program, and will only get better. Pittsburgh is a wonderful little city, affordable, etc. Kind of close to family.

The rest: Main reasons these are not at the top have to do with size of program and/or distance from any support system.
    LOYOLA: Yeah, I know it is Chicago, but didn't blow me away enough to overcome the size/family issues.
    MADISON: Love Madison, but once again, size/family made this decision
    U VA: I think this is a great program that will keep improving. Charlotte is beautiful, but a bit too removed for me.

Can't wait to see where we all end up!

35. OP
    OP
    dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    laugh qd, kaizen, hyper_74, armonia, PWilli, dc2md, Brooklyndo2.1, RuNnR, catullus39, thewza, MikeShanahan, PhilaPMR, fozzy40, kiwi219, weschay, TUCOMSam, thesage, dancerMD, Godzilla777, ampDO, jofutti, bonjuju.

damn, only 22 people in the PMR match. i'm getting my number for sure! woohoo!!!!!!!!:p

36. Brooklyndo2.1

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    dont we all wish

37. AndyDufrane

AndyDufrane Member
    15+ Year Member

my impt factors were location, overall balance of curriculum and strength, strenght of faculty, happiness of residents, where people ended up and fellowships, quality of institutes
    1.)TJU
    2.)OSU
    3.)UM
    4.)Upitt
    5.)Kessler
    6.)Temple
    7.)JFK
    8.)Sinai-Baltimore
    9.)CWRU-Metrohealth
    10.)Columbia-Cornell

38. pmrdoc

Medical Student
    1. Kessler
    2. Spaulding
    3. Jefferson
    4/5. RIC
    6. Columbia/Cornell
    7. Emory
    8. Penn

Good luck next week! I can't wait to see what happens!

39. pirate

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    better late than never, for anyone interested...

I am interested in inpatient rehab, so I want as much medicine as possible, hence the preference of 3 year programs over 4 despite the convenience of moving once and learning the system immediately. I'm a North Carolinian, and would like to stay in the southeast if possible.

1. CMC- on the small side, but a great environment all around. Spent a month here and they really made me feel at home, so strong "gut" factor. Also close to home, which sealed the deal

2. Baylor/UTH- maybe my favorite program as far as didactics and exposure to everything. Not crazy about Houston or moving halfway across the country.

3. UVA (3)- I know outpt heavy, but I liked the folks there and the University in general. Also close to home.

4. Hopkins- I'd see everything, but Baltimore rates lower than Houston for me, and with Krabak leaving, I had to drop it down one.

5. ECU (3)- my home program. Probably the best facilities I've seen anywhere. Enthusiastic attendings. Main problem for me is that I've lived in Greenville a long time and I need to go out and see different things.

4. UVA (4)

5. UNC (4)- As the fight song goes "I'm a tar heel born and tar heel bred, and when I die I'll be tar heel dead". I liked everyone I met. Unfortunately, only categorical slots starting this year.

6. ECU (4)

7. UK- also good interactions with everyone, and Lexington seems like a Golidlocks fit for me (not too big, not too small), but again with the 4 years

8. San Antonio- would get a fantastic education, but 4 years and far from home

9. LSU- really enjoyed my time with the residents. Still a bit worried about the state of affairs post-Katrina, even though PM&R claims to have survived better than other programs. Essentially a built in transitional year, without specific medicine or surgery requirements, but 4 years nonetheless.

10. EVMS- got some mixed messages about life in Norfolk, and my impression is that the volume of cases is on the low side. But I wouldn't have ranked it if I didn't think I could live with matching here.

feel freel to ask me specific questions about my impressions of various programs, I just don't want to type all day.

40. pirate

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    forgot to add in the last post, good luck to everyone on Monday and again Thursday

41. agdoc04

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thought this thread may want to be revisited by those of us interviewing