2007 USMLE Step I Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'll start the thread, since I just finished Step I today! Boy does it feel good to have it over with. In case you guys are wondering, my med school is on a different schedule, so we do basic sciences in 1.5 years, do one year of clerkships, and then take the boards.

So I started a 6 week study schedule (started after new years). The first five weeks, I studied for about 9-10 hours with a lot of breaks and took weekends off to either have fun or catch up/review. The last week I saved just for review and as many questions as I could fit into my 10 hour day. I have to say, this last week was the worst. Not in the no-sleep-cram-for-a-test kind of way, but in the huge-weight-on-your-shoulders kind of way.

Now for a breakdown of the subjects...

Biochem: There was not a lot of biochem on my exam. A few key enzyme deficiency ones (Lesch Nyhan, Maple Syrup Disease) but all of the questions were very obvious and did not require you to put much thought into it. Don't blow off porphyria and lead poisoning-- for some reason I got so many questions on that!

Molecular Bio: This was a big one! I think the NBME is moving away from the biochem towards questions on molecular bio. Many questions about DNA regulation, transcription, translation, bacterial plasmids, etc. Sometimes these questions look very scary -- they are always so long and use long names for molecules or restriction enzymes that you have never heard of. You need to get used to the question style and realize that what they are asking is very simple. The NBME forms have questions very similar to the molecular bio ones I saw on the exam.

Pharm: Another one I thought would be difficult but not. Big drugs you should know a lot about (like antihypertensives, drugs for hyperlipidemias, cardic drugs, etc.) However, I wouldn't worry too much about the side effects for every tiny drug -- especially the chemo and immunosupressant drugs that kept on tripping me up so much.

Micro/Immuno: I had not a single question on parasites! That huge chart of worms and helminths in First Aid had me worried for a while, but it was not a big part of my exam. If anything, just know the key phrases because if they do test you on it, it would be a really obvious scenario. Mostly bacterial processes and what you would use to treat them... or what was their mechanism of disease (i.e. endotoxn, exotoxin, etc.) Know immunology and cytokines well, as well as the functions of all the cells. Different immune deficiencies were all asked on my exam (there is one page in First Aid that sums them up very well).

Anatomy/Neuroanatomy: Always combined with a pathology question or an imagine. I had a few branchial plexus/lumbar plexus questions. Many questions would give you a clinical scenario, then ask you to identiy the artery/nerve/organ on a CT scan/MRI/angiogram/brain cross section. Again, I think Qbank does not help you much at all because there aren't that many images. All i can say is look through some atlases quickly as you are studying anatomy -- not Netters bc that won't help much, but books that will give you real radiographic images.

Physio: This was almost always combined with Pathology--they would ask the physiology behind some path process. I had so many questions where the question asked "what would be the levels of x, y, and z enzymes/hormones?", answer choices being "increased, decreased, etc"

Pathology: Not as detailed orientated as Kaplan. Very little histology related pathology -- most of the questions though, required you to make a diagnosis and then know something about the pathophys of the disease or the treatment of the disease. There were also a lot of images -- MANY more than Qbank's representation.

All in all, I think the test more manageable than Kaplan's Qbank. Don't let Qbank discourage you -- ! Doing the questions help you to learn, so if you were getting them all right then the questions are too easy and not really helping you much. I do remember many questions that I knew only because I got the question wrong on Kaplan's Qbank. Also, the NBME tests are VERY good and very representative of the real thing. They also help you get used to the wording of the Q's, which can be a LITTLE different from what Qbank is like. I did forms 2, 3, and 4 and I thought 2 and 3 were the best. A few images on those practice exams were repeated on my actual exam.

Goljan's book and lectures were great. He pointed out lots of things that wound up being on the exam and presents them in a way that really sticks. Also, his images are a great resource.

I've been lurking for a while and haven't really posted since applying to med school, but I have to say you guys have really helped me out during my boards studying. Good luck to everyone else getting ready to take this monster.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi "Buddy". Still waiting to hear about those specific scores from IMGs you know. I know lots of FMGs and IMGs who've gone to the states and all of them had 98 or better on step 1. Wow, contacts and step 2 scores are important as well?!?! Us IMGs never thought of that!! I'll start spreading the word around!!! :) I'm starting to think you're one of those people who gives advice on something they know nothing about? But on an internet forum? No, I'm sure each nugget of your advice is valuble.

But in all seriousness, even making contacts is easier with a good step 1 score. None of the programs I would like to apply for will even allow me to do a residency there without seeing my board scores first and they're looking for 230+. Since the US programs are not 100% familiar with every school's cirriculum in the world they put even more emphasis on board scores.

Uh, do you go to a Carribean school?

Hi "Buddy". Still waiting to hear about those specific scores from IMGs you know. I know lots of FMGs and IMGs who've gone to the states and all of them had 98 or better on step 1. Wow, contacts and step 2 scores are important as well?!?! Us IMGs never thought of that!! I'll start spreading the word around!!! :) I'm starting to think you're one of those people who gives advice on something they know nothing about? But on an internet forum? No, I'm sure each nugget of your advice is valuble.

But in all seriousness, even making contacts is easier with a good step 1 score. None of the programs I would like to apply for will even allow me to do a residency there without seeing my board scores first and they're looking for 230+. Since the US programs are not 100% familiar with every school's cirriculum in the world they put even more emphasis on board scores.

Uh, do you go to a Carribean school?

Well, maybe you can continue this discussion in a new thread, because it has nothing to do with the thread-topic "Exam experiences"...the tone between you guys is also starting to annoy.

Well, maybe you can continue this discussion in a new thread, because it has nothing to do with the thread-topic "Exam experiences"...the tone between you guys is also starting to annoy.
Actually, I don't know why I bothered responding to this guy in the first place. I should know better then to engage trolls by now. Discussion over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya i am an IMG so i know what i am talkin about. Board scores are very important but u dont need a 240+ to get a residency...thats the point. Whatever who cares u'll figure it out as u go along...this topic has gotten way off base...good luck with the step.

Ya i am an IMG so i know what i am talkin about. Board scores are very important but u dont need a 240+ to get a residency...thats the point. Whatever who cares u'll figure it out as u go along...this topic has gotten way off base...good luck with the step.

way to keep it civil.

i'm also an IMG and i must agree a bit with jiy76 . . . i have two friends from my program who matched well in EM last year, and even turned down contract offers, and their board scores were both less than 230. i even know one girl who was below 210 and she had i think 5 interviews. so, a good step 1 can help a lot, and it is a biggy, but it is not the end-all, be-all. do the best you can, but don't let your score dictate how you decide to spend the remainder of your professional career. worst case scenario you have to do a transitional program for a year. not such a bad thing . . .

i have what doctors call a little bit of a hangover.

but i can still type. etc etc

Sup med....just took my step 1 today--feels good to be done....man it was tough, but fair. It was nice to have straight forward questions after doing UW for so long...and I have to say there were questions that weren't exactly word for word but were basically the same from UW on my Step, at least 20-30 (odd mechanisms/concepts that you can't find in FA or Goljan).

Time to go party :hardy::hardy:

-tx

way to keep it civil.

i'm also an IMG and i must agree a bit with jiy76 . . . i have two friends from my program who matched well in EM last year, and even turned down contract offers, and their board scores were both less than 230. i even know one girl who was below 210 and she had i think 5 interviews. so, a good step 1 can help a lot, and it is a biggy, but it is not the end-all, be-all. do the best you can, but don't let your score dictate how you decide to spend the remainder of your professional career. worst case scenario you have to do a transitional program for a year. not such a bad thing . . .
I might be confusing the TLA's again. Which is an American student: FMG or IMG? Because I'm Canadian - not American. All the Americans at my school can go back to the states with not much of a problem. But for us non-Americans, it's more of a VISA thing. For us to get US programs to go through all that hassle we have to convience them that it's really worth their while. I know lots of American citizens who are foreign trained can go back with not that much of a problem. But I'm not sure programs are going to pass over US citizens and fill out all the VISA paperwork for me if I land a 210.

I might be confusing the TLA's again. Which is an American student: FMG or IMG? Because I'm Canadian - not American. All the Americans at my school can go back to the states with not much of a problem. But for us non-Americans, it's more of a VISA thing. For us to get US programs to go through all that hassle we have to convience them that it's really worth their while. I know lots of American citizens who are foreign trained can go back with not that much of a problem. But I'm not sure programs are going to pass over US citizens and fill out all the VISA paperwork for me if I land a 210.

certainly that is a legitimate point. i am speaking personally and on behalf of US citizens trained outside the US.

congrats on being done Tx . . . feels good eh? i wish i had your exam. i did get a lot of those straightforward Q's, but the ones i got just happened to be floating somewhere in my brain other than my hippocamus or cortex . . . i.e. i just simply couldn't recall the right answers. damn shame, it sucks to have the easy ones slip your mind. hoping for a decent outcome, though i'm not so optimistic.

go get some good tehas BBQ for me . . .

I felt that my test was heavy on neuroanatomy and biochem (definitely not my strongest areas). So when i left the test, i thought that my score could go anywhere from 200 to 260. In other words, i didn't really know what to expect.
Actual score: 240+ (I am very happy with this score!)

Sources i used:
=FA (there is so much good stuff in this one book)
=Goljan (great)
=UW (great)
=NBME exams (good for helping you get used to the testing format)
=some other random books here and there (probably didn't help too much)

I think the most important thing that i learned from all of this is the importance of picking one or two sources and knowing them really well. Thanks to all of you for your advice. Good luck!

Not amazing, but I guess it's okay. I'm still waiting on my COMLEX score. I'm worried because I felt a hell of a lot better coming out of the USMLE than I did coming out of the COMLEX... :confused:

I took the COMLEX 5 days after the USMLE... eeeek, I'm scared

congratulations.:thumbup:

but i'm curious, as you said you averaged around 75% on UW. most people here with that avg. scored 240+ on the real exam. any ideas why your experience was different?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, pretty strange result after your whole "how to beat step 1' thread.

plus if you're hitting 75% avg on usmleworld you are easily 240+ (and probably in good shape to break 250+)

Not amazing, but I guess it's okay. I'm still waiting on my COMLEX score. I'm worried because I felt a hell of a lot better coming out of the USMLE than I did coming out of the COMLEX... :confused:

I took the COMLEX 5 days after the USMLE... eeeek, I'm scared

Screw it, you passed. Thats all that matters.

I wouldn't worry about COMLEX. I walked out of that test about 1/2 way into my USMLE prep, and did fine. A lot of my classmates felt their USMLE experience went a lot smoother than COMLEX and did ok on both exams.

Nobody I know failed COMLEX, and I knew more than a couple of people that were... umm, how do I put it... considerably less prepared to do as well as they probably could have. :cool:

Congrats on passing and having the whole ordeal behind you. :) I'm sure you did fine on the Comlex, since that is what our training is geared towards anyway. I've never really trusted my feeling right after an exam since it's easy to dwell too much on certain questions. All the best on your comlex results. :luck:

Ok so I am an American, I finished a BA degree at a great US school and because I met my husband on my study abroad year and his job binds him to his native Germany, so... I decided to get married and study in Germany! (for whoever is wondering, I had reserved a spot at UVA but turned it down after getting into school in Germany) So no, I am not the *usual* case of studying in another country- and I was excited to try out med school (PS, it only costs 100 euros a semester, another bonus) but it turned out to be REALLY REALLY tough. I had majored in German, but language was still tough, but more importantly, the SYSTEM is very different!

Anyway, I had a slightly below average score on their equivalent of the first board exam and I decided to take the USMLE I for two reasons: 1-we want to keep our options open for going back to the states and 2-and MD here is money!

There are 4 clinical years here, not 2 (but we have no internship, we go straight into residency, so it works out I guess!) and I decided to take the USMLEI even though we hadn't had patho and pharm yet in school (different system, those subjects come after our 1st board exam) because I had just taken the German boards with anatomy, biochem and physio and I figured, it made sense to keep it all fresh. I also figured 6 months would be enough time to study (parallel to coursework; 3 weeks of intensive studying during summer break).

Well, I just wanted to pass, but c'mon, we all are hoping to do really well right? Add all of the horror stories of no-matches, frustration of not exactly excelling in a foreign system and I worked my little fanny off with FA and Kaplan's Qbank. Y'all were the only advice I had on the American system, so thanks to all who posted!

Now for the moment of truth: my score came back today. 196/80
How do I feel? :hardy: + :confused: + :eek:

After spending about an hour trying to decide if I should reach for my party shoes or my tissue box and counting up the pluses (college GPA, neurosurgical research, USA rotations) and minuses (board scores!) on my future applications I had to stop and laugh. I passed!! My future is still in my hands and I know I will be a damned good doctor!

I realize my experience isn't the norm and my not have helped most of you, but I hope my positive attitude is contagious for everyone who felt their score doesn't reflect their abilities and who is determined to be a great doctor! :)

Ok so I am an American, I finished a BA degree at a great US school and because I met my husband on my study abroad year and his job binds him to his native Germany, so... I decided to get married and study in Germany! (for whoever is wondering, I had reserved a spot at UVA but turned it down after getting into school in Germany) So no, I am not the *usual* case of studying in another country- and I was excited to try out med school (PS, it only costs 100 euros a semester, another bonus) but it turned out to be REALLY REALLY tough. I had majored in German, but language was still tough, but more importantly, the SYSTEM is very different!

Anyway, I had a slightly below average score on their equivalent of the first board exam and I decided to take the USMLE I for two reasons: 1-we want to keep our options open for going back to the states and 2-and MD here is money!

There are 4 clinical years here, not 2 (but we have no internship, we go straight into residency, so it works out I guess!) and I decided to take the USMLEI even though we hadn't had patho and pharm yet in school (different system, those subjects come after our 1st board exam) because I had just taken the German boards with anatomy, biochem and physio and I figured, it made sense to keep it all fresh. I also figured 6 months would be enough time to study (parallel to coursework; 3 weeks of intensive studying during summer break).

Well, I just wanted to pass, but c'mon, we all are hoping to do really well right? Add all of the horror stories of no-matches, frustration of not exactly excelling in a foreign system and I worked my little fanny off with FA and Kaplan's Qbank. Y'all were the only advice I had on the American system, so thanks to all who posted!

Now for the moment of truth: my score came back today. 196/80
How do I feel? :hardy: + :confused: + :eek:

After spending about an hour trying to decide if I should reach for my party shoes or my tissue box and counting up the pluses (college GPA, neurosurgical research, USA rotations) and minuses (board scores!) on my future applications I had to stop and laugh. I passed!! My future is still in my hands and I know I will be a damned good doctor!

I realize my experience isn't the norm and my not have helped most of you, but I hope my positive attitude is contagious for everyone who felt their score doesn't reflect their abilities and who is determined to be a great doctor! :)

So are you saying that you got a 196 without ever having taken path or pharm? If so, that's pretty impressive. :thumbup:

You took step 1 after year 3/6 in the german program? Congrats on your score but you're crazy not to have waited a year more!!!

If I were you I would have taken the exam after year 4/6. I'm not sure what the rush was to take it before you had path and pharm in school. I'm in a European program as well and there's no way I could have even scored 100 on step 1 if I had taken it last summer. So respect for your score but how come you didn't wait?!?

First Post- this is my exam experience from beginning to end. I ended up increasing 64 points over the course of study.

1- I go to a med school in Texas. I didnt do poorly in classes, but I wasnt a gunner or anything. I got As and B+ in all classes for M-I and M-II years. At the end of the second year, we were required to take a practice test offered by NMBE. It is basically the Step 1 exam, except it is only 4 sections (200 questions) instead of 7. Our school pays for this for us, so we have an idea of where to start.

BASELINE SCORE: 185 (taken 5/7/07) - I was happy to find out I could pass without having studied but had really set my sights on 240+, so I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me.

2. I took the month of May off from studying- I am MD/PhD so I didnt have the pressure of needing to take the exam by July 1, so that I could start 3rd year rotations. I planned to study from 6/1 to 7/20 or so. I took the real exam on 7/23.

3. I used KAPLAN and ONLY KAPLAN to study. I had webprep, as well as qbank and IV qbank. I first went through (in about 5 weeks) all of the books and online lectures, making notes as I went along. I particularly focused on Micro and Immuno, Path, and Physiology, as I had heard from people that had already taken the exam that these were the big ticket items.. I made flashcards myself so that I would learn by writing, as well as have a quick review sources. I studied 5-6 hours a day; sometimes a little less if I felt like it. Biochem was hardest for me because I dont like it, but I ended up having a good amount of biochem, so I was glad I studied. I also thought the genetics was good as well. Behavioral Science was hard for me to learn, as well as anatomy and brachial plexus- i ended up being pretty lucky and having only 1 Brachial plexus question.

4. Starting about my 3rd week of study, I began doing the qbanks. At first 50q / day, then adding 50 more/ week until I was at 200. This actually took up a good bit of time, since I would be sure to review closely what I missed. I alternated between qbank and IV qbank to keep the material interesting. When I started I was probably doing about 48%; by the test I was at 74%. I thought q-bank was more difficult than the real thing, either the NBME self-assessment or the real step 1.

5. I did use all 4 NBME assessments. I thought they were good sources of review but I usually spent more time looking up answers than anything else. My dates and scores

1 7/2 440---->204
2 7/11 620---->244
3 7/18 580---->236
4 7/20 510---->221

I was really happy after 2 for obvious reasons, but kind of freaked out, especially after 4. I think that I had really lost focus though, as the exam was so close and I was really nervous at this point. I was really hoping for a 240, so I hoped my exam would be like 2.

6. EXAM DAY- I got to the center at 730; they took me right away, and I started my exam by 745. I completely skipped the tutorial, as I was worried about time, though I had always finished my qbank within the limit. I was worried about second guessing myself. One thing I did was went into test day with a answer to guess already in mind- in other words - if I had no idea or was going to guess, I always picked B. Saved me worry and time and ensured, I got a few of my guesses correct. I took a break between all sections except 1 and 2, even if just to walk around for a few minutes. I had a coffee between 2 and 3. I had lunch between 5 and 6. I completed most of the sections within 50 minutes. There were a few I went to 55. I was confident about 40 of my answers in most sections. I would say I had 2 easy sections, 3 fair sections, and 2 that really made me think- in those I was lucky to know 35. I ended up finishing around 2. I thought biochem was overrepresented - I had three questions about ketone bodies, so I thought I was screwed, but when I got my score report I actually had asterisks on higher performance for biochem...lol

7. I left the exam feeling OK about passing, but having NO IDEA how well I would do. I kept checking NBME every night, though I know they update on Wed. When I checked 8/14 (Tues) at 11 PM, I saw "print score report". Since we are an hour behind Philly, the system had updated. I was the first group to get scores online, which saved me those extra 2 days. I was so nervous, I had someone look for me....................

In the end 249/99

I jumped up and down like a maniac. I was so happy. I completely recommend Kaplan and focusing on their materials. It definitely worked for me.

if you have questions, let me know.

kaplan: 73% overall
usmleworld: didn't have time to do this, but seems like it's better than kaplan
nbme 1: 234, 6 wks out
nbme 4: 245, 4 wks out
nbme 2: 232, 3 wks out
nbme 3: 253, 1.5 wks out
school administered practice test thing (6 wks out or so): 205
150 qs: 90%

actual score: 252/99

i was very happy with this score, and owe most of it to a small study group of my friends. the month before the exam, i essentially only used three sources: FA, BRS path, BRS phys. best of luck to all and thanks for all the advice on this forum - it's always helpful and appreciated.

I guess I should also contribute. I had set aside 4 months for studying for step 1. I studied like maybe 4 or 5 hours a day for the first two months (because I had rotations going on as well (im img)), so I didn't get too much time for pure usmle study. Then I came home to america for the last two months, and ended up studying maybe an hour a day on avg for the last two months (cuz I was more busy tearing people up on xbox live). So last two months weren't productive at all.

I slept like 2-3 hours two nights before the exam (cuz of xbox not cuz of studying). Then I didn't sleep a minute the night before the exam because I realized how I had wasted so much time, and I ended up picking up first aid and looking over some high yield stuff.

I took the exam and felt horrible. came home and went over about 240 questions I remembered from the exam and felt even worse.

anyways

sources : only kaplan and a little first aid every now and then.

actual score: 243/99

not exactly what I was hoping for, I would have been much happier with my score if I had never joined sdn and seen everyone elses scores.

yea.

I guess I should also contribute. I had set aside 4 months for studying for step 1. I studied like maybe 4 or 5 hours a day for the first two months (because I had rotations going on as well (im img)), so I didn't get too much time for pure usmle study. Then I came home to america for the last two months, and ended up studying maybe an hour a day on avg for the last two months (cuz I was more busy tearing people up on xbox live). So last two months weren't productive at all.

I slept like 2-3 hours two nights before the exam (cuz of xbox not cuz of studying). Then I didn't sleep a minute the night before the exam because I realized how I had wasted so much time, and I ended up picking up first aid and looking over some high yield stuff.

I took the exam and felt horrible. came home and went over about 240 questions I remembered from the exam and felt even worse.

anyways

sources : only kaplan and a little first aid every now and then.

actual score: 243/99

not exactly what I was hoping for, I would have been much happier with my score if I had never joined sdn and seen everyone elses scores.

yea.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

But why do you care so much what everyone´s elses score is?
Especially here, where the average score is way higher than the average score overall.
I mean, personally my goal is to max out my potential and get a certain score, not comparing myself to people on this forum.

:cool:

Hey, I know the feeling. You get your hopes up so high when you take practice exams and get 250+ but remember that there's not much difference in the number of questions you get right between a 240 and a 260! Anything over 240 makes you competitive for the top US residency spots. So try to be happy with your score. But I definetly know how you feel. Reading posts on here starts to make 260 sound like an achievable goal.

Also, I'm happy to hear that you felt you did so horrible and did so well. I was in the 250 range on NBME's and feel like I really, really screwed up the real exam. If I get a 243 now I'll be so happy I'll probably start to cry. But since you felt the same way and got that score it gives me hope!

thanks for the nice replies... but as an img I don't feel like I will be able to compete for anything but FP or IM. The thing that ruined me was nutrition, and I felt like I had a lot of it. On my official score report it was in the borderline to halfway down lower performance range. Nutrition just killed me.

Thanks, I was still a little bummed, though.

To answer both comments, actually, because of a paperwork error I was forced to take a semester off before switching universities and I had very little to do (my thesis is nearly done) and since my old school would have taught patho in a 4 week block, same for pharm, I thought I could manage it in 6 months on my own. Plus, I need step I for my elective rotations in the states. I used Lippincott's for pharm (what's up with the type-os kids? ugh) and BRS and a british review book for patho (can't remember the name, Oxford press...) anyway, FA and Qbank were for the 3 intensive weeks prior, I had been up to the upper 60%'s, never took a NMBE.

It kinda scares me that I had such a good feeling going out of the exam, :( I could narrow down most of the non-knee-jerks to two choices, either my gut instinct was thrown off by nerves or my knowledge really was too superficial...

There's always a chance to make it up in step 2!

The real question here is what does a German man have over an american man?? :

Thanks, I was still a little bummed, though.

To answer both comments, actually, because of a paperwork error I was forced to take a semester off before switching universities and I had very little to do (my thesis is nearly done) and since my old school would have taught patho in a 4 week block, same for pharm, I thought I could manage it in 6 months on my own. Plus, I need step I for my elective rotations in the states. I used Lippincott's for pharm (what's up with the type-os kids? ugh) and BRS and a british review book for patho (can't remember the name, Oxford press...) anyway, FA and Qbank were for the 3 intensive weeks prior, I had been up to the upper 60%'s, never took a NMBE.

It kinda scares me that I had such a good feeling going out of the exam, :( I could narrow down most of the non-knee-jerks to two choices, either my gut instinct was thrown off by nerves or my knowledge really was too superficial...

There's always a chance to make it up in step 2!

yeahbuddy127,

i sent you a pm with some questions re: your exam experience.... please check it out when you get a chance.

staora

Just got my score today and am very very happy. It's not up in the stratosphere like some of the others on these boards, but is way higher than I was expecting. Want to start by thanking everyone on these forums, I know that without your help my score would be significantly lower.

Overall plan: I knew that I wanted to do well on this test, so I took off the first rotation of my third year to give me extra time to study and am really glad I did. Overall I studied for 2.5 months. I studied A LOT. Probably averaged around six days a week and 10hrs a day. The first month I just read review books, as I found doing questions at this point unhelpful and pretty discouraging. Last 1.5 months I did 100 questions in the morning and then read review books in afternoon.

Books:

Main book: First Aid- Hated this book at first as I found it really disjointed, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I found the more questions I did and the more I learned (from other sources) the better the book got. First Aid was my bible for everything, except Path which I left for Goljan. All other subjects I annotated into FA.

Biochemistry: Kaplan biochem- read whole thing and found it a lot more accessible then rapid review biochem (although a lot people like this one). In retrospect, I should have just focused on FA and then filled in blanks with this book and doing questions.

HY Cell and Molecular Biology: Get the 1999 version as the new one is ridiculously detailed. Good book you can read in an afternoon and will get you some points in what can be the trickiest/most obscure questions on the test. Luckily, most of the answers are based on simple concepts, the trick is just figuring out what the hell they're asking u.

Gross anatomy: Read first 10 pages of HY gross and though it was super inefficient. Ended up just reading FA and looking various atlases to relearn spatial relationships. Glad I didn't spend more time on gross (couple of days), as my exam had very few questions and they were fairly straightforward. As always know limbs, brachial plexus, and cross sections

Embryo: Don't waste your time with anything but First Aid. I've yet to speak to someone who had more then 4-5 embryo questions on entire test (I had 3) and all could be answered by FA.

Physiology: Really liked BRS physiology and felt like it was perfect level of depth for my test. Know your arrow questions as test has them flying in every single direction

Neuro: Used HY neuroanatomy based on the great reviews on these boards and was really disappointed. I felt like the book was really fragmented and went way too far in to depth on some things (like cranial nerves). Although, the atlas and angiograms in this book are awesome. My test had a lot of clinical neuro and neuroanatomy. I have an MS in neuro and aced my neuro class, but after using this book and FA as my main study sources neuro was one of my worst subjects on the test. Unfortunately, I don't know of a better alternative.

Micro: Used microbiology made ridiculously simple and really liked it. Micro on the test was pretty straightforward: bacteria>viruses>fungi>protozoa/worms. Did get a question on virus structures, which is an awesome time trying to memorize. I recommend reading MMRS it all the way through once while annotating into FA and then going through it again just looking at charts at end of each chapter.

Immunology: Lange Medical Microbiology and Immunology- only read immunology section (~90 pages) early on in my studying. My test was surprisingly heavy on immunology and wished I had reread this section again closer to test date. Questions focused on general immunology and immunopathology concepts, not cytokine or HLA memorization.

Pharmacology: Made my own set of flash cards of all the drugs in FA and this was more than enough; DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME LEARNING ANYMORE DRUGS. Also read pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics and autonomics chapters in Kaplan, as FA was kind of weak in these areas.

Behavioral Science: BRS Behavioral Science- Easy read and really enjoyable (I like psych) but probably not necessary. All my questions were either in FA or ethical questions that you can learn from doing questions. Lots of easy points in this subject so know your biostats, personality disorders, and ethics

Pathology: Goljan audio and RR path are a great combo and were the best resources I used by far. I HIGHLY recommend going through the book while listening to the audio to highlight the real important stuff (book can be a little too detailed at times) and cross out things that he says are more step II relevant. Also, you will get a sense for what's important the more NBME's and practice questions you do

Question Sources:

Kaplan Q bank: 66 % total avg (50% completed) > 1 month
Biggest waste of money and my only real regret in the whole process. If you want a question bank which stresses fact regurgitation, has hundreds of obscure anatomy questions, or has questions about drugs that have never been used in the US then this is the question bank for you. If not, use something, anything else.

USMLE World: 70% total avg (100% completed) and 74% last 300 questions
Great resource: the interface is just like the real thing and questions utilize multi-step reasoning. Most importantly, the questions are related to high yield concepts not random obscure facts like Qbank. Only weakness is the behavioral science questions are too easy. Also, biochem and pharm questions can be a little nitpicky compared to real thing, so don't freak out if you're struggling in these areas.

Robbins Review of Pathology: Completed about 90% and thought it was a really great resource for path questions.

NBME's: I think it's good to take a couple of these to get a feel for the test. But since you don't get the answers, online answer sheets can be full of mistakes, and they take a lot of time after a certain point I think you're better off just doing USMLEWORLD questions.

Free 150 at Prometric test center: even though it's another 45$, I felt like this was really helpful for getting a feel for the test center and getting in the right mind frame for the test.

Stats:
NBME 1: 232 ( >1 month out)
NBME 2: 228 (3 weeks out)
Free 150 at Prometric Test Center (2 weeks out): 87% = 253
Step 1 score: 253/99!!!

hello every1,
PRAISE THE LORD
first of all i would like to thank my Heavenly Father JESUS CHRIST for enabling me to take this exam last month
got my scores just few hrs bac online
201/82
this was my 2nd attempt. had flunked first time very badly and according to first aid survey had 0% chance of clearing the exam next time for repeat takers
had taken two nbmes' this time and had flunked both
decided to take the exam not on my strenghth but HIS STRENGTH.REMEMBERED ALL HIS previous miracles and wonders for me.
Gods' Grace and Power was with me which i could feel throughout my exam..
I could feel THE HOLY SPIRIT guiding me throughout my exam
i cant hide His love and wonders therefore declaring it to you all
books used brs path,physio,beh science,usmle road map pharma,kaplan pharma,kaplan physio,lange immuno(excellent),flash cards for pharma ,micro, an biochem(bits)
had purchased almost all books available at amazon
i think this was a mistake
another mistake was writing all uw,kaplanqbook an usmle rx notes which in the end i could never read and was quite frustating
my exam was path 85% statistics and beh science 5% each and rest subjects the rem
i found usmle rx to be quite helpful for my exam..
thanks to all sp jeebus and tsaus
gl for every1
open for any question
thanks an have a nice day
and 1 more word of advice
BE HONEST TO THYSELF AND TRUST THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
TC:)

hello every1,
PRAISE THE LORD
first of all i would like to thank my Heavenly Father JESUS CHRIST for enabling me to take this exam last month
201/82
this was my 2nd attempt. had flunked first time very badly and according to first aid survey had 0% chance of clearing the exam next time for repeat takers
had taken two nbmes' this time and had flunked both
decided to take the exam not on my strenghth but HIS STRENGTH.REMEMBERED ALL HIS previous miracles and wonders for me.
Gods' Grace and Power was with me which i could feel throughout my exam..
I could feel THE HOLY SPIRIT guiding me throughout my exam
i cant hide His love and wonders therefore declaring it to you all
books used brs path,physio,beh science,usmle road map pharma,kaplan pharma,kaplan physio,lange immuno(excellent),flash cards for pharma ,micro, an biochem(bits)
had purchased almost all books available at amazon
i think this was a mistake
another mistake was writing all uw,kaplanqbook an usmle rx notes which in the end i could never read and was quite frustating
my exam was path 85% statistics and beh science 5% each and rest subjects the rem
i found usmle rx to be quite helpful for my exam..
thanks to all sp jeebus and tsaus
gl for every1
open for any question
thanks an have a nice day
and 1 more word of advice
BE HONEST TO THYSELF AND TRUST THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
TC:)

wow.

hello every1,
PRAISE THE LORD
201/82
Praise Him!
Congrats on the score!!! I don't know why some ppl on here act like they're perfect in everything they do...so some receive a score that only about 1% in the nation receives...I mean congrats, but the score obviously didn't make you less of an a$$! As for me, I did battle with the evil Step 1ster just yesterday...I'm none too optimistic as they seemed to have an enormous arrow with dead on accuracy for my achilles heel: pharmacology. I felt like I was guessing waayyyyyy more often than not and had hardly any "knee-jerk" questions. There were only 2 blocks out of the 7 that I felt were "relatively" straight-forward. The rest were just like "Please Mr. NBME, can you kindly remove your giant foot from my a$$...it's really uncomfortable!" So I'm in continued prayer for the best. But seriously, what's the worst that could happen? I have to take it again. I'm healthy, I'm not living in sqaullor, why whine and worry about making 180K vs. 250K when the average Joe is pulling about 35k (granted he also doesn't have 200K in student loans but still)...so for all those who don't do as well as they hoped or don't score 260+, keep ya heads up, stay in faith (whatever that means to you), and keep it in perspective. As for you Smalley, I hear your testimony and I thank Him right along with you for your success! :D

hello every1,
PRAISE THE LORD
201/82
Praise Him!
Congrats on the score!!! I don't know why some ppl on here act like they're perfect in everything they do...so some receive a score that only about 1% in the nation receives...I mean congrats, but the score obviously didn't make you less of an a$$! As for me, I did battle with the evil Step 1ster just yesterday...I'm none too optimistic as they seemed to have an enormous arrow with dead on accuracy for my achilles heel: pharmacology. I felt like I was guessing waayyyyyy more often than not and had hardly any "knee-jerk" questions. There were only 2 blocks out of the 7 that I felt were "relatively" straight-forward. The rest were just like "Please Mr. NBME, can you kindly remove your giant foot from my a$$...it's really uncomfortable!" So I'm in continued prayer for the best. But seriously, what's the worst that could happen? I have to take it again. I'm healthy, I'm not living in sqaullor, why whine and worry about making 180K vs. 250K when the average Joe is pulling about 35k (granted he also doesn't have 200K in student loans but still)...so for all those who don't do as well as they hoped or don't score 260+, keep ya heads up, stay in faith (whatever that means to you), and keep it in perspective. As for you Smalley, I hear your testimony and I thank Him right along with you for your success! :D

Wow some fanatics we have in here.
jesus_knocking.jpg

Praise Him!
thanks
an gl to you also:)

... wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!! Sure there were tough biochem questions and some path stuff I had forgotten.. but also lots of knee jerk questions, quite a few where I thought for a second or so and figured it out, then a bunch where no answer jumped out "hmmm? ... oh ok i see, its A or C" questions.... of course the occasional "WTF" variety

I think I got the pharm heavy exam which really worked in my favor.. not too many in depth pharm questions either... virtually NO embryo... lots of "what drug most likely caused _____?" If you looked over the common drug side effects list in First aid and memorized it, those questions were like free points

The fatigue factor did not seem to affect me at all, which is hard to believe... really i thought after 4 blocks i would be crushed but i had over 1 hour of break time left when I finished the post test questionaire? I just didnt feel like the breaks were helping my mind at all, seemed like I would zone out if I was out of the test center too long and I wanted to keep after it.

in conclusion, walking out of the test center it felt like a pass...

Its best to just assume I passed, otherwise it would be near impossible to give my 100% best effort in this family med rotation which starts monday, always worrying about what if...

... wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!! Sure there were tough biochem questions and some path stuff I had forgotten.. but also lots of knee jerk questions, quite a few where I thought for a second or so and figured it out, then a bunch where no answer jumped out "hmmm? ... oh ok i see, its A or C" questions.... of course the occasional "WTF" variety

I think I got the pharm heavy exam which really worked in my favor.. not too many in depth pharm questions either... virtually NO embryo... lots of "what drug most likely caused _____?" If you looked over the common drug side effects list in First aid and memorized it, those questions were like free points

The fatigue factor did not seem to affect me at all, which is hard to believe... really i thought after 4 blocks i would be crushed but i had over 1 hour of break time left when I finished the post test questionaire? I just didnt feel like the breaks were helping my mind at all, seemed like I would zone out if I was out of the test center too long and I wanted to keep after it.

in conclusion, walking out of the test center it felt like a pass...

Its best to just assume I passed, otherwise it would be near impossible to give my 100% best effort in this family med rotation which starts monday, always worrying about what if...
congratulations on fighting the monster
gl for ur score

Took it on Aug 2nd. Scores back Aug 22nd.

Sources:-
FA 2006
BRS Path
Illegal Goljan audio & HY notes
HY Cell Bio ('99 edition)
Picked my friends' brains for all the Psych stuff
USMLEWorld - Went through it twice

Started test at 830 am. Full speed though the first three sections, took a break and even though I promised myself I wouldn't do it, looked through FA a bit. Went back, 2 more sections. Lunch. Finished test.

Finished test in 5 hrs, not counting breaks - Score 216/89 :oops:, although I felt like I did well enough for a 92 or so but oh well, us interns just need > 185.

The USMLE people really need to have a counter for how many sections are left. I was so tired out near the end that TWICE I thought to myself that I was on the last section and I would soon be done and be able to go home and not have to open another book for a full 2 days. :)

Smalley:

That's a lot of passion you have there!

Anyways, congrats.

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would finally share my story. I am an American studying at a Canadian school going into my 3rd year. I took the test August 2nd and got my scores on the 22nd. I studied for a little over 5 weeks with one day off per week putting in about 8-12 hours per day.

Sources:
FA 2006
BRS Path
BRS Physio
Goljan audio
HY Cell Bio ('99 edition)
BRS Behavioral Science
USMLEWorld - Got through about 50% - score 70%
Neuranatomy made Ridiculously simple
Micro Made Ridiculously Simple

I structured my time around FA in an organ system format. So for the first few weeks I would study Path, Physio, and Pharm for 1.5-3 days for each organ system. In the last few weeks I did the beginning of the FA book (micro, biochem, general pharm, BS, embryo). I structured my time in this way because the stuff at the beginning of FA is the most memorization heavy and I was hoping to pick a lot of it up by doing the organ systems and USMLEWorld first (which I did). Additionally I like the organ system approach because it kept me from getting bored with just studying physio or path.

I would strongly recommend all the sources that I used with the exception of HY cell, which I would reference last after learning as much as you can about the area doing USMLEWorld (cause I hate the HY series). USMLEWorld was great! I highly recommend taking test blocks and closely reviewing their explanations. I learned a lot that way. (Don't spend too much time on the Biochem questions though - they are not nearly that hard on the real one)

As far as the Goljan/BRS path controversy goes. I think you should use the format you like the best. I used both books during the school year and found that I liked the format of BRS better. I spent a the last year listening to Goljan Path in my spare time, so I knew a lot of what he had to offer that way.

One other comment - I think that people make too much of a big deal out of not studying the day before. If you feel like you want to study and cram a bit more - do it! I did and maybe it helped, but I at least felt like I was doing something and not sitting around and stressing. Just make sure you get your sleep the night before.

Oh yeah - and I took the exam at 1230, which was perfect for me cause I am not an early bird. Something to consider for those like me.

Finally, I did a practice test the week before at the test center. This was really good for getting oriented to the environment and knowing exactly what I would need on test day and how to get there. I think that it cut down on stress.

Anyway, test day went fine - I didn't feel too nervous or anything. I felt that I passed, but didn't do as well as my practice tests (I thought my score range was maybe 200-240 or so. The only things that really threw me off were some really tough MRIs and CTs. There were maybe 5 or 6 of them. I spanked the Anatomy section in the end, though, so the may have been experimental.

Final Scores:
Real Score - 253/99
Free Practice Tests - 92% (264 MEDFRIENDS)
NBME 1 - 720 (265)
NBME 3 - 690 (259)
MCAT - 28