2008-2009 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The deadline was December 1st, so they must really be on the ball.

Congrats! I remember a couple of years ago I was among the first to hear back as well (it was like Dec. 10 for a Dec. 1 deadline). However, this invite is still way early--most places don't get around to passing out invites until around late January or early February.

Also, I think I have said this in past years, but I think it should be repeated. Just because someone posts that they have received an interview invite from one of your schools does not mean you should lose hope. Someone posted online that they heard back from one of my schools, so I dismissed it. However, 2-3 weeks later, I received an interview invite. So try to be patient, and let the waiting game begin!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I remember a couple of years ago I was among the first to hear back as well (it was like Dec. 10 for a Dec. 1 deadline). However, this invite is still way early--most places don't get around to passing out invites until around late January or early February.

Also, I think I have said this in past years, but I think it should be repeated. Just because someone posts that they have received an interview invite from one of your schools does not mean you should lose hope. Someone posted online that they heard back from one of my schools, so I dismissed it. However, 2-3 weeks later, I received an interview invite. So try to be patient, and let the waiting game begin!! :cool:

this was true for me too, both in terms of invites and even actual acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
so basically i'm a *****??? :confused:

No, you are not. I only scored barely above the 50th percentile on the subject test, although I had taken every single psychology class (at a reputable school) that was covered on the subject GRE and received an A in 90% of them. Even when I studied, everything seemed familiar to me but I never managed to get a score higher than in the 500-600's on any practice test. Some people just aren't made for standardized tests.:oops:

I'm not saying you're a *****. I'm saying that the percentiles don't necessarily match up with the raw score the way that you think it would.

I dont think there is an interview thread yet, so I thought I would post it here.

Michigan State / School Psychology / PhD.

By snail mail

Woop, woop!:claps:

No, you are not. I only scored barely above the 50th percentile on the subject test, although I had taken every single psychology class (at a reputable school) that was covered on the subject GRE and received an A in 90% of them. Even when I studied, everything seemed familiar to me but I never managed to get a score higher than in the 500-600's on any practice test. Some people just aren't made for standardized tests.:oops:

thanks for your response! out of curiosity, which test date did you take the test on? mine was the 11/8/08 test. some of the things on the test, i honestly haven't covered yet because i'm not taking abnormal psych until the spring. i'm just hoping that it's not something that will prevent an otherwise good application from being seen by my POI's, you know?

I'm not saying you're a *****. I'm saying that the percentiles don't necessarily match up with the raw score the way that you think it would.
i didn't mean to imply that you were being mean to me personally. a part of me just can't believe that that many people who took the test did THAT much better than me, and yet my number score was only halfway down the chain of possible scores. it just seems off. :(

Don't feel so bad-I did HORRIBLY on the Psych GRE- got a 530. I didn't do spectacularly well on the General GRE either- an 1190 overall. I have never done well on standardized tests; however, I have always excelled in classes, school, etc. I graduated with Departmental Honors and a great GPA, have 2 years of very sophisticated, relevant research experience, strong letters from well-respected professors, and hope that my Psych GRE score does not eliminate me from the running at the schools I applied to. :xf:

A lot of the psych GRE is just strategy--knowing how many questions to answer and how many to skip.

Not that you guys didn't have a good strategy because I don't know if you did or not!

Don't feel so bad-I did HORRIBLY on the Psych GRE- got a 530. I didn't do spectacularly well on the General GRE either- an 1190 overall. I have never done well on standardized tests; however, I have always excelled in classes, school, etc. I graduated with Departmental Honors and a great GPA, have 2 years of very sophisticated, relevant research experience, strong letters from well-respected professors, and hope that my Psych GRE score does not eliminate me from the running at the schools I applied to. :xf:

It sounds like you have a lot of great background experience!! Since my undergrad wasn't in psychology, I've had to work really hard this year to try to get enough of those types of experiences in, while taking night classes and working full-time!! It's been... interesting! But I figured if I could survive that, then hopefully it shows that I can also survive grad school :D