2008-2009 Case Western Interviewee Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed at Case Western on 9/23. I absolutely loved it!

Here are Case Western's 2007 Admission Stats according to US N&WR:

Total:
6077 applied
1235 interviewed (20.3% interviewed)
462 accepted (37.4% interviewees accepted)
185 enrolled

Instate:
797 applied
194 interviewed (24.3% interviewed)
77 accepted (39.7% of interviewees accepted)
40 enrolled

OOS:
5280 applied
1041 interviewed (19.7% interviewed)
385 accepted (37% of interviewees accepted)
145 enrolled

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeesh. I just found this thread while searching old threads about Case. I have my interview coming up... what were your main thoughts about Case? It seems like a great fit for my somewhat research-oriented self.

I notice that the curriculum is significantly different than most of the other ones I've seen; for example, anatomy is longitudinal, and done though prosections. Very interesting. Did anyone ask about how they help you get ready for Step 1 (i.e. how much time off do you get, etc)?

And finally, what were your thoughts on Cleveland? I've only been there once when I was younger, but it seems like a typical midwestern city outside of Chicago; big in size but not in feel, if you know what I mean.

Sucks to be a Browns fan yesterday though..

Yeesh. I just found this thread while searching old threads about Case. I have my interview coming up... what were your main thoughts about Case? It seems like a great fit for my somewhat research-oriented self.

I notice that the curriculum is significantly different than most of the other ones I've seen; for example, anatomy is longitudinal, and done though prosections. Very interesting. Did anyone ask about how they help you get ready for Step 1 (i.e. how much time off do you get, etc)?

And finally, what were your thoughts on Cleveland? I've only been there once when I was younger, but it seems like a typical midwestern city outside of Chicago; big in size but not in feel, if you know what I mean.

Sucks to be a Browns fan yesterday though..

I really liked Case when I visited. If you're into research, the University Program has a four month research block and thesis that you can schedule during your second or third years. They also give you about six weeks to study for Step 1, but it all depends on how you schedule your rotations and research block. They'll go into it in plenty of detail during the interview day itself.

Some of the students I talked to didn't like how anatomy is taught, but others did. It's just one of those things that you either like or you don't. This year's MS3s were the first class on the new curriculum. Supposedly they had one of the highest averages on Step 1 in Case's history, but I've heard from some of the students that part of that is because they freaked out a little bit and studied extra hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked Case when I visited. If you're into research, the University Program has a four month research block and thesis that you can schedule during your second or third years. They also give you about six weeks to study for Step 1, but it all depends on how you schedule your rotations and research block. They'll go into it in plenty of detail during the interview day itself.

Some of the students I talked to didn't like how anatomy is taught, but others did. It's just one of those things that you either like or you don't. This year's MS3s were the first class on the new curriculum. Supposedly they had one of the highest averages on Step 1 in Case's history, but I've heard from some of the students that part of that is because they freaked out a little bit and studied extra hard.

I honestly didn't feel that Case was Uber research oriented, despite that being what their claim to fame is. They are litterally sitting on some of the best clinics in the world, including possibly the number one cardiology related hospital. You get good clinicals, a lot of the kids I talked to realyl weren't all that interested in being researchers.

I'm in love with it. Madly, painfully in love. I'm also on hold. Damn.

What impressed me (other than the numbers):
-On the tour, they didn't take us into the anatomy lab because the school is extremely respectful of the cadavers and their families and therefore thinks it's not okay to bring in random prospective students and let them see the cadavers in various states of potential disarray (I went near exam time).
-There were posters of students' projects all over the walls. They were all amazing. Some examples - interactions between HIV medications and street drugs (and effects of street drugs on HIV+ bodies), the need for sexual health/STI prevention education in elderly communities/nursing homes because the rate of elderly STI transmission is rising extremely rapidly.

I don't know what about those two things was so appealing, but it makes the school seem so open-minded, inquisitive, and truly curious about the nature of public health, not just about what's in text books. The student body and the school as a whole seem to truly care about society and social issues and the human (not biological human, but person-human) aspect of disease, disease prevention, disease education, disease treatment, and disease intervention. Amazing. Truly, for-serious amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I'd be willing to live in Cleveland (CLEVELAND!!!) to go to learn with and from these people.

I'm in love with it. Madly, painfully in love. I'm also on hold. Damn.

What impressed me (other than the numbers):
-On the tour, they didn't take us into the anatomy lab because the school is extremely respectful of the cadavers and their families and therefore thinks it's not okay to bring in random prospective students and let them see the cadavers in various states of potential disarray (I went near exam time).
-There were posters of students' projects all over the walls. They were all amazing. Some examples - interactions between HIV medications and street drugs (and effects of street drugs on HIV+ bodies), the need for sexual health/STI prevention education in elderly communities/nursing homes because the rate of elderly STI transmission is rising extremely rapidly.

I don't know what about those two things was so appealing, but it makes the school seem so open-minded, inquisitive, and truly curious about the nature of public health, not just about what's in text books. The student body and the school as a whole seem to truly care about society and social issues and the human (not biological human, but person-human) aspect of disease, disease prevention, disease education, disease treatment, and disease intervention. Amazing. Truly, for-serious amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I'd be willing to live in Cleveland (CLEVELAND!!!) to go to learn with and from these people.

Seeing your passion, I am sure if you send a LOI then I am almost sure you will get in! Now hop to it!