2008-2009 Louisiana Application Status Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotivatedPreMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the site and currently submitted to LSU-NO & LSU-S with my applications complete. Completed at both schools in August and just sitting here waiting to hear something.

Just wanted to see who was out there and how your application is going. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also complete and waiting. I wonder how many they have interviewed so far.

I was complete at Tulane and LSU-S some time in late June or early July I think. I wasn't complete at LSU-NO until some time in August. Tulane invited me for an interview on 9/22 and LSU-S did on 10/21. I haven't heard from LSU-NO yet, but Tulane and LSU-S accepted me :thumbup:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to LSU-NO on the 16th of Oct. I interviewed on 9/22. The first non EDP date...I felt privileged. :D

I wonder why LSU-NO has been so quiet lately. I have been talking to others who applied and they have the same answer. I wonder if it will get rolling soon as I am thinking that they get started a little later than most.

Last edited:
Here's a summary of my applications so far:
*Complete at all 3 schools mid-late July
*Interviewed at LSU-NO on 9/24, Tulane on 10/3, and LSU-S on 10/14
*Received a letter from LSU-NO stating that no final decision had been made and that I was still under review around 10/15
*Accepted to LSU-S on 10/17
*Accepted to Tulane on 10/30

Someone asked how many people have been interviewed so far. LSU-NO interviews 5-6 people at a time, Mon-Wed (first week was 9/22). Tulane interviews ~15 each on Mondays and Fridays (I think they started around the same time as LSU-NO). LSU-S interviews ~12 on Tuesdays (first day was 10/14). So hopefully this will give you a better picture of how many have interviewed.

Of course I'm thrilled with the acceptances, but at the same time my SO is also applying to the LA schools and hasn't heard anything yet, so I definitely understand what some of you are going through...waiting is a bitch! Best of luck to you all.

I am a first year at LSU-NO. It is fun seeing the interviewees getting toured through the gross lab every Mon-Wed. It is much better being on this end of things :)

Good luck to all the LA applicants. I haven't seen much action on the boards about them lately.

I am a first year at LSU NO. I did not apply to any other school so I don’t have any experience at the other schools. I applied very late. I think I was completed in Jan. Interviewed in March and was accepted in May. Waiting to hear something was hard. I sympathize with all of you. Good Luck and I hope to see you next year

:D:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I completed with LSU NO and LSU S on 10/24, interviewed with NO on 11/04 and was accepted on 11/26. I've never heard anything from Shreveport but NO has been my first choice. Good Luck to everyone still waiting!

Hey guys, I have an update on LSU-S. Yesterday my boyfriend got an e-mail invitation to interview there. He could rank priority of several Tuesday dates from January through March. I think the e-mail said that there were about 90of these sent out. I hope those of you who were waiting got this e-mail as well, and I really hope I'm not upsetting anyone who is still waiting. :luck:

Stil that dang, "You are being considered for an interview."

Hey Tom,

How's life back in NO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my interview conformation to LSU Shreveport for January 27th!! Anyone else going on that day? Any advice from those of you who already went? Were you accepted? What school did you go to.....

Sry I am just freaking excited this is a perfect distraction and moral booster for finals time!!!

Still waiting for NO, but hope to hear from them soon.

:D:D:D:D:D

I just got my interview conformation to LSU Shreveport for January 27th!! Anyone else going on that day? Any advice from those of you who already went? Were you accepted? What school did you go to.....

Sry I am just freaking excited this is a perfect distraction and moral booster for finals time!!!

Still waiting for NO, but hope to hear from them soon.

:D:D:D:D:D

No real advice needed. Be yourself. My interviews were very laid back.

I'll be going to Shreveport next year.

hey Armada

How long does it usually take to hear back from shreveport? or should i expect to be on the list for a period of time since it is this late in the season?

hey kavorca, i love the avatar. "call of duty!"

I haven't applied yet (applying this summer), but its good to see some action from Louisiana people here. Did anyone do the EDP? I am thinking about doing it as LSUS and wondering if it is worth it.

When should I start sweating if i had hadn't heard anything from new orleans? My file was complete nov. 12. They seem to be pretty quiet.

The only bad thing about applying ED is you will be late everywhere else. I heard from NO pretty late (Late Jan/Early Feb) for an interview in March.

As far as Tulane vs. LSU-NO, I do not think the price difference is worth it for LA residents. They share some of the same facilities for rotations as well. You will probably get sent out of NO for at least one rotation 3rd or 4th year at LSU while at Tulane I don't think you will. The testing is different as well for the first two years. At LSU you will have all your exams in 2 days for each block. For the first semester, the three written exams will be on Monday and the two practicals are on Tuesday. At Tulane you will have Anatomy written exam and practical on Monday, Histo written and practical on Wed and whatever else they take on Friday. Not sure if that is a reason to pick one or the other, but there ya go.

I went to Tulane for undergrad, and it did not even occur to me to spend that much money to attend their medical school.

LSU-NO vs. Tulane: For my situation, LSU-NO > Tulane > LSU-S. I've been accepted to both Tulane and LSU-S and am leaning towards Tulane because I really want to be home again (enough to suffer the financial consequences), and if LSU-NO accepts me then I'm going there. I agree 100% with kavorca, the price difference is not worth it. Several people have told my SO that they actually think LSU-NO is the better school right now (I heard that a lot of good faculty left Tulane after the storm), and I definitely think that LSU-NO's facilities are the best out of the three LA schools (although the new LSU-S ER is pretty nice). Tulane is making improvements, but 2013 students may not get much use out of it (e.g., new anatomy labs won't be complete for next year).

LSU-S interview advice: Even though I'm least likely to go here, LSU-S was the most pleasant all-around experience. There were no tricky interview questions, mostly just questions about my resume, how my day was going so far, etc. Everyone was really nice, and it was super laid-back. I interviewed with them on a Tuesday and got my letter the following Monday, and I think they try to do that with everyone. Like armada said, be yourself! As simple as it sounds, that's probably the most important advice for any school's interviews. Sincerity is the key...these guys are pros and can smell B.S. a mile away.

timied123: Don't sweat just yet. Most schools will interview at least into April (granted a lot of spots have been filled by that point), and I was invited about 1 month before the interview. My post-interview application is supposed to be under review again sometime this month, so hopefully we'll both have some good news soon. I'll let you know if I hear anything else!

I was complete around August.

I have an interview with LSU-S in March. I am really looking forward to it.

However, I have yet to hear anything from LSU-NO. I really hope I get a chance to see thier school and interview there.

Hey Y'all!

Thanks for the replies about LSU-NO vs Tulane. These posts pretty much repeat what I've heard just asking people. My dad is an LSU-NO alum and he thinks it would be absurd to choose Tulane. That was echoed by my uncle who is an LSU-NO alum and used to teach at Tulane. I interviewed in mid November and got in a couple weeks after. Interviewed at Tulane early December and got put in their "acceptable range". Have some yankee interviews coming up but I'm cancelling everything except top schools. Don't think its worth otherwise. Plus there ain't anywhere else like NOLA. Food for thought, I currently work at Sloan-Kettering in New York and we have an equal number of LSU-NO and Tulane grads as attendings.

Finally heard some news from LSU-NO! My boyfriend got an interview invite from them today! Hopefully those who were waiting got some good news as well :)

I just got my acceptance letter to LSU Shreveport today and have just mailed my letter of acceptance to the offer.

WOOHOO class of 2013!!!!!!!!

geaux tigers

I just got my acceptance letter to LSU-NO yesterday dated Feb. 10. I was complete in November, Interviewed Jan. 7th, got the infamous " still under review" letter on Jan. 30 and now here I am. I don't know if the time line helps anyone, but I know I would check here for any updates on committee activities. So best of luck to everyone whom is still waiting. I know your pain; I've been waiting 4 years, lol.

I just got my acceptance letter to LSU-NO yesterday dated Feb. 10. I was complete in November, Interviewed Jan. 7th, got the infamous " still under review" letter on Jan. 30 and now here I am. I don't know if the time line helps anyone, but I know I would check here for any updates on committee activities. So best of luck to everyone whom is still waiting. I know your pain; I've been waiting 4 years, lol.

awesome! congratulations!!!

Congrats to everyone on acceptances! I just got my letter from LSU-NO as well! I heard through the grapevine that there is going to be a lot of committee activity over there during the next month. I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but you can call the admissions office on Thursdays between 2 and 4 to check the status of your application. This past Thursday, I called them a little after 2 and was told that a letter had been sent to me, but she could not tell me what the decision was. Of course, my mail didn't come until about 5...longest 3 hours of my life! Anyway, it's all over now, and good luck to those of you who are still waiting, this whole process is way too long!

And....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
:love:

Awesome!!! Woohoo congratuations!!!

How was your valentines day? Mine was awesome it was the first time I was actually dating anyone on V. day so we had tons of fun.

I withdrew my application from N.O. once I heard from shreveport so thats where I am going. I am excited its coming quick!!

Awesome!!! Woohoo congratuations!!!

How was your valentines day? Mine was awesome it was the first time I was actually dating anyone on V. day so we had tons of fun.

I withdrew my application from N.O. once I heard from shreveport so thats where I am going. I am excited its coming quick!!

Good to hear. Welcome to Shreveport.

Thanks Armada!!

Hey if you ever see any of the students who gave tours on Jan 27th tell them thanks for being so nice!!

im excited!!

Last edited:
Thank you! My Valentine's Day was great, very relaxing especially since this whole thing is officially over! I thought both of the LSU med schools were great, ultimately though LSU-NO is just a better fit for me. I'm really looking forward to Camp Tiger!

Where do medical students at LSU-NO live? I have been accepted there and am looking for a place to live? What are some apartment names where medical students live?

LSU-NO has two residence halls with both dorm rooms and apartments. You can check out all the info here: http://www.auxent.lsuhsc.edu/reshall/

I think that most students who live off-campus live in the Uptown/Garden District area (check craigslist). There are also a few mixed-income developments being built right down Tulane Avenue, but I'm not sure when they'll be finished and the neighborhoods are kinda shady. I guess they're trying to make Tulane Avenue more attractive to young professionals once the (*crosses fingers*) hospital gets underway.

I'm living with my parents in Metairie for at least the first year, we'll see how it goes! My house is a 15-20 minute drive from the medical school. There are generally more affordable options in suburbs like Metairie or River Ridge, you just have to be willing to deal with the occasional traffic.

I'm sure that if you called the school, they'd also be willing to tell you more about popular housing options. Good luck and Happy Mardi Gras!

I noticed that there are not many people on this forum applying to LSU- Shreveport or LSU-NO, but its worth a shot.

I received a letter this week saying no final action has been done to my application and that it remains under review. I interviewed in early March.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any information on when the adcom meets next or if others are in the same boat.

I'm not applying this year, but everyone I know who applied has already been given a decision. I think they all interviewed sooner than March, though

Has anyone received an acceptance from Shreveport lately?

I interviewed in late March and was put on the "Acceptable List". I am trying to figure out whether the class is full or if I was waitlisted for some other interview/application-related reason.

I applied early decision at Shreveport, it was my second time to apply. I received my acceptance letter in September and have been anxiously waiting ever since! The year before I was put on the "acceptable list", but did not get in. My letter saying I would have to re-apply came at the end of the summer. I had already sent my application in for the second round.
I am looking for a rental house starting in July- any suggestions? websites that help? I have called some realtors and they all say to call back the beginning of June. Is that too late??

I applied early decision at Shreveport, it was my second time to apply. I received my acceptance letter in September and have been anxiously waiting ever since! The year before I was put on the "acceptable list", but did not get in. My letter saying I would have to re-apply came at the end of the summer. I had already sent my application in for the second round.
I am looking for a rental house starting in July- any suggestions? websites that help? I have called some realtors and they all say to call back the beginning of June. Is that too late??

I found my apartment in New Orleans on Craigslist. I'm not sure how active the craigslist scene is in Shreveport, but it's worth a try.

Additionally, I wouldn't rule out Bossier. My family lives in North Bossier and it is a pretty convenient 20-minute drive to the medical center.

Has anyone received an acceptance from Shreveport lately?

I interviewed in late March and was put on the "Acceptable List". I am trying to figure out whether the class is full or if I was waitlisted for some other interview/application-related reason.

I received my acceptance in January, so I don't think that would help much, but LSU-S has a decision deadline of April 15th instead of May 15th, so I'd imagine there would be significant waitlist movement soon.

I received my acceptance in January, so I don't think that would help much, but LSU-S has a decision deadline of April 15th instead of May 15th, so I'd imagine there would be significant waitlist movement soon.

Thanks, Arzt67. I actually received my acceptance call last week! I didn't have to wait so long afterall! Are you going to Shreveport?

Thanks, Arzt67. I actually received my acceptance call last week! I didn't have to wait so long afterall! Are you going to Shreveport?

Congratulations! Yeah, I'm definitely planning on going to LSU-Shreveport.

Status
Not open for further replies.