** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok! As we're starting all the new application season threads... here's the one for everything secondaries. When they're due, what to write, where they're at, when to expect them... EVERYTHING secondaries!

Good luck y'all :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe someone from last application cycle could answer this...

If I submit my primary app during 1st week of June, when could I start seeing secondaries arrive in the mail? I'm taking the MCAT July 10th.

Also what is the average fee on secondary apps? Is the range something like $50 to $200?

I'm applying to 25 DO schools, and I'm trying to figure out how many extra shifts at work I have to pick up, in order to pay for all this.

Is $2500 a good estimate for secondary fees, or am I low-balling this number??

Any comments/advice are appreciated.

Maybe someone from last application cycle could answer this...

If I submit my primary app during 1st week of June, when could I start seeing secondaries arrive in the mail? I'm taking the MCAT July 10th.

Also what is the average fee on secondary apps? Is the range something like $50 to $200?

I'm applying to 25 DO schools, and I'm trying to figure out how many extra shifts at work I have to pick up, in order to pay for all this.

Is $2500 a good estimate for secondary fees, or am I low-balling this number??

Any comments/advice are appreciated.

I didn't apply to that many DO schools so I am not sure how most schools work, but I had to wait to get most of my secondaries and PCOM's secondary didn't ever arrive until I called them and they had to resend it. Some schools may send you a secondary as soon as you hit submit on AACOMAS and others may just wait until you're verified to send their secondary. The price range for them is about $50-100 - at least that's the range I stayed within for both osteopathic and allopathic schools. With osteopathic schools, you have a slightly longer time frame of what is deemed early than with allopathic schools. Still I would try to get everything into these schools within two weeks of receiving the secondary. At least, that's the rule our pre-med advisor gave us. And with your top choices, the earlier the better! Good luck on the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply to that many DO schools so I am not sure how most schools work, but I had to wait to get most of my secondaries and PCOM's secondary didn't ever arrive until I called them and they had to resend it. Some schools may send you a secondary as soon as you hit submit on AACOMAS and others may just wait until you're verified to send their secondary. The price range for them is about $50-100 - at least that's the range I stayed within for both osteopathic and allopathic schools. With osteopathic schools, you have a slightly longer time frame of what is deemed early than with allopathic schools. Still I would try to get everything into these schools within two weeks of receiving the secondary. At least, that's the rule our pre-med advisor gave us. And with your top choices, the earlier the better! Good luck on the MCAT!

hey all--

i've got a question re: how to time this all

here goes.....

what is better?

A) sending out the amcas on day one, receiving the secondaries right away (or soon thereafter) but not being able to "turn them around" timely due to advisor hold-ups in getting the "committee letter" together to attach to the secondary

or

B) sending the amcas later, so that it can appear as if, even though i've sent my amcas out a tad later, the secondary is not being held up (i.e. due to the primary not triggering the secondary so fast that way)?

in other words--is it more important to receive the secondary (i.e have it "in hand") ASAP (even if i can't respond to it for perhaps like 6 weeks), or is it more important to be prepared to be able to respond to the secondary as soon as it's sent to me--just with a bit of a delay in sending the amcas.

thanks for your input.

gubba bump....er, i mean...bubba gump

hey all--

i've got a question re: how to time this all

here goes.....

what is better?

A) sending out the amcas on day one, receiving the secondaries right away (or soon thereafter) but not being able to "turn them around" timely due to advisor hold-ups in getting the "committee letter" together to attach to the secondary

or

B) sending the amcas later, so that it can appear as if, even though i've sent my amcas out a tad later, the secondary is not being held up (i.e. due to the primary not triggering the secondary so fast that way)?

in other words--is it more important to receive the secondary (i.e have it "in hand") ASAP (even if i can't respond to it for perhaps like 6 weeks), or is it more important to be prepared to be able to respond to the secondary as soon as it's sent to me--just with a bit of a delay in sending the amcas.

thanks for your input.

gubba bump....er, i mean...bubba gump

If it were me, I would submit my primary as soon as I was able. It will take a little while for AMCAS/AACOMAS to verify everything and send your application out to its respective schools. Then you have to wait for the schools to sift through the first batch of applications. So you do have a little bit of delay there to wait on your LOR.

Also, It is okay to submit the secondary application before your LOR's are in. I know several people last year who had interviews before their letters were even in to the admissions office. This was the case for me at WVSOM since my undergrad school sent my letters to the MD school in WV. They ended up telling me at my interview that my letters had never arrived. I was accepted shortly after my letters arrived to them. Get your stuff in as early as possible. It will look better on your part and you will get your name in there early. In this process, timing is key. Get ahead of the game! Good luck!

Have your LORs sent later. That way it won't look like you're procrastinating or that you're not interested enough to get your secondary done. It will instead look like your LOR writers (or committee in this case) can't get their butt in gear to do their job. But *you* won't look bad.

looks like i asked a good question then, eh...huh, eh?

i could see how anyone (like moi) would be torn re: this situation. i am still torn, even though you both have expressed valid points!

maybe we could "pro and con" it out.

let's see:

pro-sending the amcas early-->medschools might just get you your secondary faster than "the rest of 'em."

con-sending the amcas early-->i will look like i'm un-motivated

wait, er, that's what we already determined.

i will think of some other pros and cons - anyone else for now though?

thanks guys.

I was accepted shortly after my letters arrived to them.

you were accepted to an md school? then, what does "soma" mean? my fault - sorry. i know that i posted in a different area and will keep it going here for now.

and obviously i realize that some of the smarter people out here probably have the option of deciding among md and do schools and may very well "go do," but i'm still honestly surprised - care to enlighten? no pressure, mi amigo.

you were accepted to an md school? then, what does "soma" mean? my fault - sorry. i know that i posted in a different area and will keep it going here for now.

and obviously i realize that some of the smarter people out here probably have the option of deciding among md and do schools and may very well "go do," but i'm still honestly surprised - care to enlighten? no pressure, mi amigo.

I didn't apply for the MD school. I'm your DO at heart here. I was accepted shortly after my letters arrived at WVSOM. My point is, the letters can always be sent later. Get your app in as soon as possible. Trust me, it feels good to be in the first interview group at a few schools and accepted to three by the end of October.

I didn't apply for the MD school. I'm your DO at heart here. I was accepted shortly after my letters arrived at WVSOM. My point is, the letters can always be sent later. Get your app in as soon as possible. Trust me, it feels good to be in the first interview group at a few schools and accepted to three by the end of October.

got it, mate. thank you. i think i will go with your "earlier the better" method; however, i now will be searching for some links/threads regarding the good/bad/ugly of sitting on secondaries--as shyrem has insinuated.

got it, mate. thank you. i think i will go with your "earlier the better" method; however, i now will be searching for some links/threads regarding the good/bad/ugly of sitting on secondaries--as shyrem has insinuated.

Don't sit on your secondaries. Finish them as you get them. Send them in and the school will go ahead and start your file. That way you can let them wait on the letters to be sent but your part will be complete. It also gives you a chance to call and talk to the office for status updates to see if you are complete. Lets them know you really are interested. This is what alot of applicants did this past season.

Don't sit on your secondaries. Finish them as you get them. Send them in and the school will go ahead and start your file. That way you can let them wait on the letters to be sent but your part will be complete. It also gives you a chance to call and talk to the office for status updates to see if you are complete. Lets them know you really are interested. This is what alot of applicants did this past season.

man you're helpful, and i appreciate it.

okay, so i think with your great help, i am realizing that (feeling dumb...but this is a learning process - we all know) the "secondaries" to which i refer are really a couple of components--as you stated: one part's mine, and the other is the advisor's (or advisor committee's), so i need to focus on just getting my stuff wrapped up, so the schools can see the things flowing in timely from my end, which i can at least control.

the thing is - i have to get my 6/13 mcat back in order to see if the comittee will write a positive group letter for me (that's the way they roll, and i s'pose it's understandable, given my less-than-spotless background), which means, i will roll as follows:

1) send the amcas asap

2) complete the secondaries as soon as they hit me (+/- a reasonable duration)

3) continue to prod the committee to get it together, before, er, say, july/august - latest.

it's all about lead times, but when it all happens at once, it can be tough. working under pressure can be the best way to "git 'er done" though, i am starting to see, for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

okay, so i think with your great help, i am realizing that (feeling dumb...but this is a learning process - we all know) the "secondaries" to which i refer are really a couple of components--as you stated: one part's mine, and the other is the advisor's (or advisor committee's), so i need to focus on just getting my stuff wrapped up, so the schools can see the things flowing in timely from my end, which i can at least control.

the thing is - i have to get my 6/13 mcat back in order to see if the comittee will write a positive group letter for me (that's the way they roll, and i s'pose it's understandable, given my less-than-spotless background), which means, i will roll as follows:

1) send the amcas asap

3) continue to prod the committee to get it together, before, er, say, july/august - latest.

it's all about lead times, but when it all happens at once, it can be tough. working under pressure can be the best way to "git 'er done" though, i am starting to see, for sure.

Alright let's break it down...

If you submit your application at its earliest date it will take a week or more to verify your transcripts and the like. So you are looking at around the same time you will be taking your MCAT. It will be a bit longer before you hear from schools. Once you get your secondaries and start submitting them your scores will be back and your letter can be written. So you are really only looking at a small overlap here, yet a big enough one to keep in touch with the admissions office. If they see you are proactive in getting things in, they will be proactive in getting you there! Ha!

1) send the amcas asap

Submit your primary asap. It will take them a while to process everything. A few schools may not even send you a secondary until you have your MCAT, but if you do get them, send them in asap. Make sure all of your other letters are ready to roll while you are waiting for your MCAT scores so when your committee is ready to give you their approving letter, nothing else will be tied up. I did something similar last year (however my DO didn't get his butt in gear and my letter wasn't received until something like the middle of Jan), and one of the schools did say that I would have gotten outright acceptances instead of a waitlist if I had gotten my letter in earlier.

Anyways, Aug isn't too late. Just make sure you keep on top of them to get the letter out asap.

Alright let's break it down...

If you submit your application at its earliest date it will take a week or more to verify your transcripts and the like. So you are looking at around the same time you will be taking your MCAT. It will be a bit longer before you hear from schools. Once you get your secondaries and start submitting them your scores will be back and your letter can be written. So you are really only looking at a small overlap here, yet a big enough one to keep in touch with the admissions office. If they see you are proactive in getting things in, they will be proactive in getting you there! Ha!

so what do you mean by the gap--or rather--the "overlap?" do you mean that i should be in touch with the schools between the amcas and the secondary (my part), so they won't think they should forget about me, i.e. i'll let 'em know that my advisors are working feverishly and that it'll get there kinda thing?

Submit your primary asap. It will take them a while to process everything. A few schools may not even send you a secondary until you have your MCAT, but if you do get them, send them in asap. Make sure all of your other letters are ready to roll while you are waiting for your MCAT scores so when your committee is ready to give you their approving letter, nothing else will be tied up. I did something similar last year (however my DO didn't get his butt in gear and my letter wasn't received until something like the middle of Jan), and one of the schools did say that I would have gotten outright acceptances instead of a waitlist if I had gotten my letter in earlier.

Anyways, Aug isn't too late. Just make sure you keep on top of them to get the letter out asap.

good advice here as well - thank you. i may be fortunate in the fact that i have two other mcat scores (showing improvement) already attached to my amcas....

more good news is that i've gotten all my letters to my advisor committee (they send the letters from their offices) and will just need to wait for them to write the letter (hopefully within a few weeks of 7/13--when the mcat score returns)....so my file should be all set by august. i hope that this'll suffice to be considered earlier than many still, because lawd knows i need to be at the top of all piles.

so what do you mean by the gap--or rather--the "overlap?" do you mean that i should be in touch with the schools between the amcas and the secondary (my part), so they won't think they should forget about me, i.e. i'll let 'em know that my advisors are working feverishly and that it'll get there kinda thing?

Yes. I meant that by the time you get secondaries and get them submitted, your advising committee should be close to sending the packet of LORs to your schools of interest. This gives you the opportunity to correspond atleast twice with the admissions office....once to confirm they received your secondary and to let them know your letters will be coming soon and second to see if your file is complete once you know the letters have been sent. If they see you are keeping them in the light about your situation and are also proactive in making sure everything is in order, it will look great on your part.

Yes. I meant that by the time you get secondaries and get them submitted, your advising committee should be close to sending the packet of LORs to your schools of interest. This gives you the opportunity to correspond atleast twice with the admissions office....once to confirm they received your secondary and to let them know your letters will be coming soon and second to see if your file is complete once you know the letters have been sent. If they see you are keeping them in the light about your situation and are also proactive in making sure everything is in order, it will look great on your part.

sweet! i may just frame your last quote to keep me motivated on being pro-active. nice advice - thank you for all your help - outta here for now.:thumbup:

I think this would be the place to post this.

I am just curious if anyone could enlighten me on retaking the MCAT procedure. My April scores (6/8/9) are being sent and then I will have 6/13 scores sent also.

Will all schools hold until seeing my second round of scores? Should I anticipate being "complete" early or will schools wait to send secondaries until they receive my June recent score?

I searched on MD and here and found mixed results from old threads so I figured it was worth a current update if possible. Thanks!

Hey everyone,
This is a question mainly for people who have already applied: Did any of you have problems getting information regarding secondaries/interview invitations through gmail?

I just submitted my primary, and am nervous that I will not be aware when schools inform me to perform X task.

Thanks!

i used yahoo last year and all my secondaries and interview invites came in my spam box. i would catch them though quickly once i noticed that this was a common occurrence.

I used gmail and didn't have any problems. Just check your spam box regularly.

i have gmail, and had no problems. I would just search osteopathic or other common words in the filter every couple of days.

I too had no problems with gmail. I would look in my spam folder daily and double check the list before deleting spam.

i used gmail and had no such problems. only one or two showed up in the junk email.

can you submit LOR's before you get a secondary?

Thanks

i used yahoo last year and all my secondaries and interview invites came in my spam box. i would catch them though quickly once i noticed that this was a common occurrence.

That's because yahoo literally sends everything that's important straight to spam. I've never seen such a trigger happy spam filter!

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find what PNWU requires for their secondary (i.e. how many LORs, who the LORs need to be from, class requirements, etc). I cannot find it on their website... ehh.

Thanks for your help!

i noticed i started grouping similar activities...
for instance, each of my 3 shadowing experiences all were grouped as 1 EC.
same goes for all the school clubs i was part of.
i have lengthy descriptions of my ECs as a result of this. Hope it doesnt make the reader of the application upset??

You kind of have to, because you have 40,000 EC's

Posted via Mobile Device

is there any website around that has an archive of schools old secondaries.. I want to get started on some

How long are most secondary essays supposed to be? A paragraph or page? Some of the questions from last year look like they could result in very long responses.

Hey guys, Im applying for the class of '09. Columbia, UF, UM, Duke, Vandy, MSM, Emory, UNC, and MCG. I got a 32R, 34T w/ highest scores from second to last take. I sent out my primaries the 5th, and they were finished reviewing on the 11th. When should I expect to start receiving secondaries? Is it advisable to start on the templates I see roaming the forums?

Hey guys, Im applying for the class of '09. Columbia, UF, UM, Duke, Vandy, MSM, Emory, UNC, and MCG. I got a 32R, 34T w/ highest scores from second to last take. I sent out my primaries the 5th, and they were finished reviewing on the 11th. When should I expect to start receiving secondaries? Is it advisable to start on the templates I see roaming the forums?

you might get more repsonses posting in the pre allo forum. none of the schools you have listed are DO schools, so it doesnt really make that much sense to post in the pre-osteo forum. AMCAS and AACOMAS are totally separate and do their own thing. you can definitely start secondary apps now while you are waiting tho. good luck.

For DMU's secondary where you list your medical experience, did you guys describe it at all?

Has anyone received a secondary from DMU??

For DMU's secondary where you list your medical experience, did you guys describe it at all?

i thought DMU didnt even have a secondary, or at least didn't ask any essay type questions. i know i've heard that multiple times.

That's so cool PCOM's secondary is up on it's website. I wonder if any other school have there secondary up as well?