2008 D.O.'s need to report USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tootah1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked in the past, but on ERAS this year it says that any osteopathic student who applies to ACGME programs must report that they have taken the USMLE. Is that any different than it was last year? I was told that last year you didn't have to report your scores if the programs you were applying to accept COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad.

This year you must report your USMLE attempts if you apply to ACGME programs. It doesn't matter if they accept comlex - if you took the usmle, you must report it unless you apply only to AOA programs.

So did they change the wording in ERAS this year from what was stated last year? I know tons of people who didn't use their USMLE scores last year and they all applied to ACGME programs.

http://aamc.org/students/eras/resources/start.htm (3rd on the list)

Bottom of Pg 13 of 32 of the 2009 MyERAS User Guide states

Tip: (Osteopathic applicants only)
Before you certify your ERAS application, consider whether you will apply to ACGME &/or AOA accredited programs. If you apply to ACGME programs & have taken the USMLE you MUST report that on your CAF. If you only apply to AOA, you do not have to report the USMLE on your CAF

Since the scores go on your CAF & there is only ONE CAF, I do not know why students are being told that they can choose which programs get which score. Either everyone (including AOA programs) will get your USMLE or no one will (but again withholding USMLE scores from ACGME is NOT an option)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes this is a change from last year. Thank God. I was getting so sick of dumb ass DO students who would walk into that exam completely unprepared. They fail it and then only apply with their COMLEX scores. Meanwhile, bringing the average pass rate for DO students way down. It's embarrassing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of effect this will have on the pass rate. Hopefully, we'll climb up into the upper 80's and crack 90 for the first time in history!

I finally got some clarity and I thought I would share. After talking to ERAS directly this is the deal....That statement is new this year on ERAS that DO's who took the USMLE need to report their scores if they are applying to ACGME programs. However....ERAS doesn't require that you put your scores, the individual programs do. So the catch is this...if you have contacted the programs individually and they accept COMLEX there is no need to report your USMLE scores if you choose not too. You are obviously not very bright if the programs only accept the USMLE and you only send them your COMLEX scores because they will throw them in the trash. Many programs still are fine with COMLEX depending on what field you choose to pursue. If you are doing Peds, FM, IM, Psych, etc....there are still TONS of programs that are fine with COMLEX scores, but you must check with them first. I don't know of anyone last year who didn't report their USMLE scores and was asked about them in interviews. If they do ask though, just tell them....if you are a dishonest fool it will probably bite you in the butt! If they already invited you to interview based on your COMLEX score they most likely aren't going to ask. The worst case scenario is they do....then you tell them and hope for the best.

Even if we do get in the 90s, it will be a false number since that many more DO students will self select against taking the USMLE, now that they HAVE to report it.

Yes and that is precisely my point. Hopefully now only people who are prepared to take it will take it. Not bottom-scrapers who are taking it "just to see how I do."

I repeat -- the USMLE should be taken only by students who have prepared for it and who have done AT LEAST 1-2 of the NBME tests to see where they stand during their prep.

If they bomb the NBME practice tests they have absolutely NO BUSINESS taking the USMLE. What for? To fail it and then say "oh well." You know who that really benefits? The NBME b/c they just took your $500 and 3-weeks later told you that you failed. Bad bad move.

So what's all nonsense about "false number?" I don't quite follow your logic there my friend.