2008 pathology applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it all comes into play, Tiki... I have a lot of family issues weighing on my residency decision.

Just a quick update - didn't want to perpetuate the Download thread, but of the programs I applied to last night, I noticed about 2/3's of them had downloaded today. Also my first and biggest LOR was already in the dean's office, so that was a very pleasant surprise. Now I'm just hoping to hear about some interviews shortly. Didn't apply to UNM so guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... :)

BH

Members don't see this ad.

Slicing and dicing
ERAS is almost complete
Interview me, please​

How long has it taken for ERAS to have scanned and uploaded your documents? I think ERAS stated it will take 4 weeks. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
How long has it taken for ERAS to have scanned and uploaded your documents? I think ERAS stated it will take 4 weeks. :eek:

They took less than 24 hours for me. I'm complete except for one LOR I'm waiting for (and the MSPE) . Everything else is scanned in.

Well to my knowledge ERAS doesn't really do much of the scanning themselves.

1. The CV, personal statement, etc. you type in and becomes available within a couple of hours of submitting.
2. USMLE transcript is requested and appears within a few days of submitting (at least for me)
3. LOR's, school transcript, Photo are scanned by your school, so how fast they are uploaded depends on how diligent your school is about uploading them when they arrive. So far my school seems to be pretty fast at uploading things, although the hold-up for me is that they have not arrived at school via the mail yet.

Well I took the plunge and submitted mine last night to ten programs. The wait begins....

Yay, I just found out my last LOR arrived at my school today. That means except for my photo (which I'm having taken this week at Sears) I'm officially complete. I feel like i can finally relax, because the process is now out of my hands. Although I can't wait to get my first interview invite.

Well to my knowledge ERAS doesn't really do much of the scanning themselves.

1. The CV, personal statement, etc. you type in and becomes available within a couple of hours of submitting.
2. USMLE transcript is requested and appears within a few days of submitting (at least for me)
3. LOR's, school transcript, Photo are scanned by your school, so how fast they are uploaded depends on how diligent your school is about uploading them when they arrive. So far my school seems to be pretty fast at uploading things, although the hold-up for me is that they have not arrived at school via the mail yet.

This is true. Your Dean's Office is doing the scanning/uploading of the LORs, photo, med school transcript, and MSPE. Your USMLE transcript comes from the NBME. The ERAS PostOffice is basically amalgamating all that along with the application and PS that you submit, and then transmitting it to the Programs you apply to...

So if LOR scanning is taking too long, call your Dean's office. :)

BH

Yay, I just found out my last LOR arrived at my school today. That means except for my photo (which I'm having taken this week at Sears) I'm officially complete. I feel like i can finally relax, because the process is now out of my hands. Although I can't wait to get my first interview invite.

Haha. I took my picture at my house standing in front of a bare wall. I was wearing shorts and no shoes but a shirt and tie from the waist up. :D

HI all
I'm new, I'm an IMG, and I'm going for path.
I've made my application to 16 places few days ago.
So far I've recieved 1 interview.

Good luck all.

HI all
I'm new, I'm an IMG, and I'm going for path.
I've made my application to 16 places few days ago.
So far I've recieved 1 interview.

Good luck all.

welcome sunner - best of luck to you through the interview season. feel free to share where/when you'll be interviewing in the thread we created for that.

I can't stop checking my email. I've checked it like ten times today, hoping for my first interview. :laugh:

I need to stay away from my computer tomorrow, I'm driving myself crazy.

Ahh crap. So my Pathology LOR was sent in the mail 2 weeks ago and my school's office said, "Nope sorry we have no letters for you," and I break down and ask the pathologist to resend it today - of course it must have arrived today because it's on ERAS all of a sudden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Sean2tall!

Could you find out what is going on with Alleghny??? Why aren't them receiving applications for the next match??

I'm in massachusetts, guess they woldn't tell me if I called to ask...:rolleyes:

Hi Sean2tall!

Could you find out what is going on with Alleghny??? Why aren't them receiving applications for the next match??

I'm in massachusetts, guess they woldn't tell me if I called to ask...:rolleyes:

I was starting to think I was the only one interested. ;)
I talked to one of the Pathologists in the system, who didn't know why it said that, but said he would ask the Chairman this week and let me know. So I will let you know what I find out. Subsequently AGH did download my application, so I consider that a stike against it being true.

I got a rejection email from TX branch pathology.:((((

Sorry to hear that, oxygen. :( It's still early, so hold your head up.

So just to recap, thus far we've heard about interviews at UNM, an interview at "a Texas program" and an IMG rejection from another Texas program (UT med branch?)...

I still haven't heard anything.
BH

i think ut med branch refers to the galveston site.

Yeah, I just wasn't absolutely certain from the way Oxygen phrased it (TX branch?) if it was in fact UTMB or not.

BH

hello all, i'm new here.

just wanted to chime in. currently a med student at Baylor College of Medicine. applied to 19 schools a week ago. just got first interview today at Texas A&M / Scott & White Hospital. Anyways, good luck to everyone. hope to be chatting with you all frequently

I would appreciate your confirmation... but, if your application was downloaded... I guess it means FRIEDA is wrong!!!! :eek: How come!?!

Please, please let me know... I won't apply til monday (probably I'm the latest here... :()

Sorry Oxygen! As everybody said before, its too early to be depressed! Good luck!

Purpura you are not the latest don't worry, I haven't applied yet either...!

Everybody's riveted to the interview thread, and justifiably so, but I just wanted to list my apps:
Rush
U of Chicago
Northwestern
U of Minnesota
U of Wisconsin (Madison)
Med School of Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
U of Iowa
Mayo
U of Nebraska (Omaha)
Oregon Health and Science University
U of South Dakota

And I also wanted to point out that I am the King of Midwestern Applications. Any other midwesterners who wanna call me out and challenge my list, bring it. :smuggrin:

I got my ERAS in this weekend. Applied to 11 programs. All that CA programs except Loma Linda, UW, Brigham, MGH. May add a couple more later on if needed, but I'm a bit geographically restricted. Good luck everyone.

Everybody's riveted to the interview thread, and justifiably so, but I just wanted to list my apps:
Rush
U of Chicago
Northwestern
U of Minnesota
U of Wisconsin (Madison)
Med School of Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
U of Iowa
Mayo
U of Nebraska (Omaha)
Oregon Health and Science University
U of South Dakota
And I also wanted to point out that I am the King of Midwestern Applications. Any other midwesterners who wanna call me out and challenge my list, bring it. :smuggrin:

Heh, you're the first person to post a list that has absolutely no overlap with my own... Best of luck! :)

BH

Hmm I don't think I can beat th emidwest goal, but I challenge anyone to beat my FREEZING COLD, no warm state list lol...

UMICH
Indiana
UPenn
CCF
UIC
RUSH
Northwestern
U of Chicago
U of Vermont
MGH, BID, BWH
BU
NYU
JHU
Pitt

No more soccer or surfing for me...

Good luck to everyone!

Oh and also I too may add some more to my list in the upcoming weeks...if I get the need to see the sun between th emonths of October and April that is!

Hmm I don't think I can beat th emidwest goal, but I challenge anyone to beat my FREEZING COLD, no warm state list lol...

UMICH
Indiana
UPenn
CCF
UIC
RUSH
Northwestern
U of Chicago
U of Vermont
MGH, BID, BWH
BU
NYU
JHU
Pitt

No more soccer or surfing for me...

Good luck to everyone!

Hate to break it to you but Baltimore is hot in the summertime. Oh, and humid.

Hate to break it to you but Baltimore is hot in the summertime. Oh, and humid.

Tis true. I've been at plenty of sweltering O's games in the middle of the summer.

I've just applied, for around 45 programs (I'm not the latest, but my list is probably the longest...:laugh:)

Tomorrow I'll be calling Allegheny, to figure out what is going on...

In few days I'll be checking e-mail like crazy.. oh....

Or maybe not in few days.. God, I'm already tempted to check emails!!:eek:

I've just applied, for around 45 programs (I'm not the latest, but my list is probably the longest...:laugh:)

In few days I'll be checking e-mail like crazy.. oh....

wow... that must have set you back a few benjamins

I'll check back in with them tomorrow to see if there's any info.

Only 1 LOR to go and I'll finally have all my stuff uploaded.

how is U of TN-memphis? invitation.

That list is a little intimidating.

Every program has now downloaded my app. Now I just need some more interviews. :)

Intimidating, that exactly how I felt. :scared:

Tiki you are the person who's getting the most number of awesome interviews so far. I think it's still early for patholgy, more good news will come for sure.

I just checked the current resident list at MGH:
http://www.massgeneral.org/pathology/train/staff.htm#RESFELLOWS
and get a feeling that pathology is getting more competitive over the past four years, even just the past year...

i think this reflects the desire for MGH to produce strong researchers as much as it reflects anything else. just because you come from a "name" med school doesn't mean you're intrinsically better (or worse) than those of us from middle tier schools. personally i don't find this intimidating, just interesting. i would agree with the variety comment - there are hard-working, bright people west of the Mississippi River.

every program but UC has now downloaded my app, and (sigh of relief), as of tomorrow my application will be complete, as my last LoRs got turned into the dean's office this afternoon and they get them posted next day usually. hopefully things get kicking into high gear in the next week. i'd really like to start coordinating my travel plans soon.

Alright, so I finally sent in my application, just a few hours ago. Probably the last person on here to send it in. I ended up applying to 24 programs. Now I guess I just sit back and wait...

Got an generic email from duke today. They downloaded my application on 18th or 17th.

Anybody get any kinds of notice from Pitt? They downloaded my application 2 weeks ago and no notice or anything.

ive just got the Duke university note too...and i applied to 53 pathology programs..one week ago but no interviews yet..dont know why

seems like duke sent that email out to all of their applicants. i got it too. hope the part about getting back to us quickly is true!

I recently decided to apply for pathology programs. my scores are 92/227 step1 and 87/213 step2. I have strong LOrs but none of them are from a pathologist. Does it make sense to apply without pathology LOrs? I'm an IMG, recent graduate.
Any opinion is appreciated...

Silence kills.

Yeah, silence is a killer.

I found out today that two of my letter writers who told me in June they would do letters "early" have not gotten started yet, despite several reminders. One hopes to get it done "next week." It's frustrating because I know the lack of letters is holding up my getting any consideration for interviews since my application is complete (aside from dean's letter) otherwise. Oh well, not much I can do but try to wait patiently. :mad: