2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I gave in. Course work is going to take forever.

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you guys will be using the AMCAS LOR program vs. Interfolio or VirtualEvals? I'm leaning towards AMCAS b/c it's free, but I'm worried that some of my letters will get lost or something b/c it's the first year that AMCAS is opening it up to so many schools...

How many of you guys will be using the AMCAS LOR program vs. Interfolio or VirtualEvals? I'm leaning towards AMCAS b/c it's free, but I'm worried that some of my letters will get lost or something b/c it's the first year that AMCAS is opening it up to so many schools...

you have absolutely zero choice but to use the AMCAS service. Schools that are using the amcas service will only accept LORs from amcas. Schools that dont which is only like 10 or so will still accept interfolio or w/e service you want to use.

Also had another quick q's. For classes you got a W in, do you just type in W for the grade recieved? Or just click the withdraw box and leave it at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
let me just say that reading this thread makes me feel soooooooooo glad to be done with the process....wow. I feel for you guys.

This won't be the last time you fill in your class list or EC's or grades...just wait until some of the secondaries ask for the EXACT same info that's ALREADY on your AMCAS.

God. What the holy hell. I want to start so bad yet I'm at school right now.:mad:

you have absolutely zero choice but to use the AMCAS service. Schools that are using the amcas service will only accept LORs from amcas. Schools that dont which is only like 10 or so will still accept interfolio or w/e service you want to use.

Also had another quick q's. For classes you got a W in, do you just type in W for the grade recieved? Or just click the withdraw box and leave it at that.

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks! At least I'll save some money!

Apparently, AMCAS considers Summer Quarter as the first quarter of the academic year. If you took summer classes in 2007, for instance, they would go under the 2007-2008 academic year (instead of 2006-2007). I always thought Fall Quarter was the start of the school year, but AMCAS disagrees. This is just a heads-up for all the quarter-system folks out there

Now, my question: do you add courses that you withdrew from? I mean, do you put W for the grade and still fill in the hours of credit? I called AMCAS to ask about this, and the lady only confused me more. Basically, for my dropped class I have a grade of W and 3 credit hours. . .

EDIT: nevermind, I answered it myself. You just check the "Withdraw" box (imagine that) and put a W for your grade

God. What the holy hell. I want to start so bad yet I'm at school right now.:mad:
Your application's going to be late if you don't get out of class soon LOL

Are you supposed to enter in future classes under the coursework section?

Are you supposed to enter in future classes under the coursework section?

You can if you want to. For instance if you know for sure you're going to take a class and it's one of the ones your school requires or recommends, I'd go ahead and put it down.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
let me just say that reading this thread makes me feel soooooooooo glad to be done with the process....wow. I feel for you guys.

This won't be the last time you fill in your class list or EC's or grades...just wait until some of the secondaries ask for the EXACT same info that's ALREADY on your AMCAS.

I second that. So glad to be done. :D

thanks myuu...gotta love the keywork.

thanks myuu...gotta love the keywork.

Much love, indeed. I've got a sweatshirt that I :love: with this on it:
47872.png

Let the unnecessary panicking begin!!!:lol:

LOL. It's just that everyone is working so furiously here, and here I haven't even started yet.:laugh:
Being a neurotic pre-med.

LOL. It's just that everyone is working so furiously here, and here I haven't even started yet.:laugh:
Being a neurotic pre-med.

It's not a race until you can actually submit it.:) And even then it's completely out of your hands.:laugh:

umm the only race might be entering you courses and sending a transcript, and then the primary and secondary submission

umm the only race might be entering your courses and sending a transcript, and then the primary and secondary submission

And the bolded is the only part you have total control over as it relates to AMCAS

O.k this sounds like a really stupid question but i would hate to have my transcripts delayed from being verified so here it goes...I took a japanese class in spring 2003, so on the app i put the term as 2002-2003 since that would be the correct academic year. But when im done entering everything theres a final page where you can look at everything you entered at it lists the term as 2002 for when i took that class. Should i change the term to 2003-2004 even though to me that means i took the class in spring 04???

Im stupid lol...:(

O.k this sounds like a really stupid question but i would hate to have my transcripts delayed from being verified so here it goes...I took a japanese class in spring 2003, so on the app i put the term as 2002-2003 since that would be the correct academic year. But when im done entering everything theres a final page where you can look at everything you entered at it lists the term as 2002 for when i took that class. Should i change the term to 2003-2004 even though to me that means i took the class in spring 04???

Im stupid lol...:(

No, you entered it correctly. Anything from 200X-200Y school year shows up as 200X, unfortunately. They'll be able to figure it out.

Apparently, AMCAS considers Summer Quarter as the first quarter of the academic year. If you took summer classes in 2007, for instance, they would go under the 2007-2008 academic year (instead of 2006-2007). I always thought Fall Quarter was the start of the school year, but AMCAS disagrees. This is just a heads-up for all the quarter-system folks out there

Now, my question: do you add courses that you withdrew from? I mean, do you put W for the grade and still fill in the hours of credit? I called AMCAS to ask about this, and the lady only confused me more. Basically, for my dropped class I have a grade of W and 3 credit hours. . .

EDIT: nevermind, I answered it myself. You just check the "Withdraw" box (imagine that) and put a W for your grade

yep just put a W and check the box

Quick question, I tested out of 12 language credits my sophmore year. I received graded credit for these, should I just enter them as normal classes? On my transcript it has them listed in the semester I took them under a "special test" heading, but otherwise (grades, credit #) they look like normal graded credit. Anyone know? Thanks

On the amcas app theres a bunch of boxes on the bottom you can check for things like AP credit, P/F, honors etc etc...Im fairly sure theres a box for testing out of credit on there too.

Also, theres no save button or anything you have to click right? Just as soon as you log off it saves the info? Im paranoid and neurotic...forgive me:p

I'm not sure what to do here, but whatever happens, AMCAS will either fix it for you when they verify or call you and ask about it. If they end up calling you, it would delay verification. You may just want to call and ask. They can be very helpful.
Okay, got it. Also-do we have to put down the titles of the courses as they exactly appear on our transcripts or their official titles at our school/bulletin? (some course titles may be abridged on the transcript)

Okay, got it. Also-do we have to put down the titles of the courses as they exactly appear on our transcripts or their official titles at our school/bulletin? (some course titles may be abridged on the transcript)

no you don't have to put them down exactly as they appear. for one of my courses i wrote like a totally different name, it worked out. they figured it out. also i would not bother putting down course numbers either... title is sufficient, assuming your official transcript is chronological

Quick question, I tested out of 12 language credits my sophmore year. I received graded credit for these, should I just enter them as normal classes? On my transcript it has them listed in the semester I took them under a "special test" heading, but otherwise (grades, credit #) they look like normal graded credit. Anyone know? Thanks

list them as normal classes

I've looked through those options, but couldn't find what I thought would fit. Do anyone know the correct designation? Thanks.
CLEP maybe? I honestly don't know, but if you tested out that would probably be a good choice. . . maybe

no you don't have to put them down exactly as they appear. for one of my courses i wrote like a totally different name, it worked out. they figured it out. also i would not bother putting down course numbers either... title is sufficient, assuming your official transcript is chronological

Don't piss your verifier off. Put them down exactly as they are and include the course numbers.:thumbup:

If you are planning on doing more post bac work during the glide year, but you've already done some during this spring...how do you enter that for colleges attended? It says you need an end date, so i entered the university with jan to may 09, but if I want to continue it this fall, how do I do that?

end date would be dec 09 then, right?

Can I use the interfolio and send the LOR to the AMCAS?
I have already asked all my writers (6 in total) and told them to submitted to the interfolio account. I dun wanna be screwed by that.

I have already asked all my writers (6 in total) and told them to submitted to the interfolio account. I dun wanna be screwed by that.

yes you can

Don't piss your verifier off. Put them down exactly as they are and include the course numbers.:thumbup:
Dang, I don't even know all the course numbers. They're not even listed on the unofficial transcript

When it asks for your college start/end dates, do you put the month you plan to graduate (i.e. 5/10) as the end date, or do you put the current date (5/09)? Also, it asks if you have or "plan to" attain a degree from your university. . . It just looks funny when the completed form says I've attended my school from 9/06 through 5/10 and I've attained a bachelor's degree. I mean, I'm going to pretty soon, but I really haven't done either one just yet

Dang, I don't even know all the course numbers. They're not even listed on the unofficial transcript

When it asks for your college start/end dates, do you put the month you plan to graduate (i.e. 5/10) as the end date, or do you put the current date (5/09)? Also, it asks if you have or "plan to" attain a degree from your university. . . It just looks funny when the completed form says I've attended my school from 9/06 through 5/10 and I've attained a bachelor's degree. I mean, I'm going to pretty soon, but I really haven't done either one just yet

expected graduation date

for the Work/Activities section-should I list my research experience even though I listed it in the Course Work section? (it's not a lecture course, it's just research for credit)

if I do list the research, should I mention my publication or mention it separately in the publications section or both?

for the Work/Activities section-should I list my research experience even though I listed it in the Course Work section? (it's not a lecture course, it's just research for credit)

if I do list the research, should I mention my publication or mention it separately in the publications section or both?

yes because you should sorta explain your research in work/activities.

Myuu can correct me but im fairly sure that you list publications separately.

Also for one of my jobs i worked i dont even remember my bosses name or info...is that a big deal if i dont put that down for the activity?

Last edited:
I will have a Honor Zoology degree how will i enter that? Honor as separate major?? Since they have "honor program" as a separate major?

Last edited:
If I haven't taken the MCAT, and will take it lets say, in June, do I enter that information in the "Next MCAT" section?

I'm in the same predicament. Can anyone shed some light?

I'm in the same predicament. Can anyone shed some light?

Yes you can use interfolio to send everything to amcas. It works fine w/o any problems. Then for schools who dont accept amcas lors then just have interfolio send them to the individual schools.

For the question:

"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

Does this also include A.P. courses?

-thanks

Yes. I did anyways

Doesn't it then say something about you taking an "additional MCAT"?

For the question:

"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

Does this also include A.P. courses?

-thanks

i believe u say yes
but say no for transcript from what i read

Status
Not open for further replies.