2009-2010 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sending the vastly majority of mine out in the next 2-3 days. I have one I need to get out today, but most are due 11/15. I can't believe I'm almost done with getting these out.

Anyone else feel like they redid their C.V. a million times? I had it set for the last year or so (only updating for presentations, teaching, etc)....and in the last couple of weeks I've torn it apart!

I've also had more doubts now about my sites...not about fit, because I believe I'm a great fit, but that I'll stand out enough to get an interview spot. Nothing says fun like doubting stuff you can't change! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I've found that this is a danger of Express Mail/ mail with delivery confirmation-- if no one is there to sign for it (such as if it arrives on a weekend, or if it goes to an unmanned destination), it goes to the local post office until they pick it up, and if they don't pick it up, it gets sent back to you. :boom: Because of this scary uncertainty, I've been sending all of my stuff via priority mail, and have been including a self-addressed, stamped postcard rather than doing tracking on the package. Also note that some sites have different address for different kind of mail (like FedEx).

I've now mailed 11 out of 19 (or so, depending on whether I end up eliminating some sites).

BellaPsyD said:
I have some apps that aren't due until January 15th!

Wow! I had no idea apps could have deadlines that late, especially since you need to have your rankings in sometime in early Feb. :confused: I guess it's good to know that there are some sites that I could still apply for if I get no interviews!

Therapist4Change said:
I've also had more doubts now about my sites...not about fit, because I believe I'm a great fit, but that I'll stand out enough to get an interview spot. Nothing says fun like doubting stuff you can't change!

I fluctuate between feeling overly confident ("What shall I do if I get interviews at all my sites?") to feeling devastatingly unconfident (which is when I add more sites to my list and start making plans for when I don't match).

Yeah, I sent in all of my applications last Monday. I sent them Priority Mail w/ delivery tracking through USPS. Big mistake. One of my packages has apparently been sitting in the destination post office since last week. Weirdly, there has never been any delivery attempt on it, so it's not that no one was there to sign for it-- more like it fell behind a bookcase, or something. Lovely. Thankfully that one was an 11/15 deadline, so I still have time to resend if they don't find it by tomorrow (when USPS is supposed to call me back). But what a pain- I'll have to get new LOR's from everyone, etc.

On the one hand: awesome, I'm kind of done w/ internship apps!

On the other hand: DO NOT USE USPS. Grrrrr.

Members don't see this ad :)
I fluctuate between feeling overly confident ("What shall I do if I get interviews at all my sites?") to feeling devastatingly unconfident (which is when I add more sites to my list and start making plans for when I don't match).

Same here.

I was trying to figure out what sites overlapped with interview days, so I could figure out the best way to accommodate everyone, but then I thought...."well, what if I only get a few interviews?" Not fun.

I've had some current and former DCTs look over some of my stuff, and they gave some good feedback and said i was competitive for the sites I was looking at, but I feel like most people will be competitive. If 180 people apply to a site, 100 may get cut off the top, then 40 selected for 5 spots. I'm not worried about the 140, I'm worried about the other 39 (if I get the interview).

---

It'll be interesting to see where everyone gets interviews. GL to everyone.

Ruh-Roh!

I was going to use them for everyone, since UPS and FedEx are quite a bit more if I recall for these kind of things. I have corp accounts with all 3 places (and DHL), but the discount only tends to be 10% or so.

Okay.....I think my materials are finally set. A few applications down, and a bunch more to do. Now I can just focus on cover letters.

How have people been doing with the word count for cover letters? The listerv said that the intro and conclusion doesn't count against the 500 words, though I am still having a hard time condensing down particular things about the programs that interest me, while also sharing some of my background and how it fits. Darn you word counts!

I'm trying to get all mine out soon and then go back through appic and find ones with later deadlines and apply to those (I know- I'm terrified of not getting an interview!).

I am so over cover letters! I'm finding them the hardest to do. Maybe that's because it's all I have left right now. I've been hitting the 500 mark exactly (minus opening and closing paragraphs).

Other than CL's I have 2 more sites with "additional essays" left. Ugh. I just completed one with 6 additional essays!

^ nope it's Pacific Clinics in California. Supplemental asks some personal things too!

Deavroux in PA?

I remember seeing that they had a ridiculous number of additional essays....6 or 7 as part of a supplemental application.

I applied to Devereux PA and they had some supplemental documents, but not that many essays (I hope).

Yeah, I sent in all of my applications last Monday. I sent them Priority Mail w/ delivery tracking through USPS. Big mistake. One of my packages has apparently been sitting in the destination post office since last week. Weirdly, there has never been any delivery attempt on it, so it's not that no one was there to sign for it-- more like it fell behind a bookcase, or something. Lovely. Thankfully that one was an 11/15 deadline, so I still have time to resend if they don't find it by tomorrow (when USPS is supposed to call me back). But what a pain- I'll have to get new LOR's from everyone, etc.

Wow, I'm truly sorry to hear this, Psy86, but I think yours was a freak kind of accident. I've used USPS with my undergrad, 2 graduate programs, and now APPIC applications and haven't had this occur. It's good that you've even purchased tracking. Mine all go straight out with Priority Mail and no problems to date.

just noticed a small grammatical error in 2 of my cover letters I already sent out. AHHHHHHH!

just noticed a small grammatical error in 2 of my cover letters I already sent out. AHHHHHHH!

Oh, don't worry about it. If it's small enough that you missed it in the (I'm sure) many times you read over it, then they probably won't catch it either.

Here's a question I've been pondering lately: I enclosed self-addressed, stamped postcards with all of my applications, and I've gotten many of them back, but there are still some that I haven't gotten back, including ones from places that were due 11/1. At what point do I get worried that they never received the application and check in with them? I don't want to bother them during one of their busiest times of years, nor do I want to seem neurotic, but the horror stories of the USPS packages getting lost are starting to get to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
^ not sure, most of my sites e-mailed me to let me know they got my stuff and that my apps were complete. Check your SPAM in case the e-mail ended up there? Some sites may simply not want to take the time to send the postcards back.

I've sent stuff out for 6-8(?) sites, and I have yet to get anything back. A few of my sites receive 250-350 applications, so I'm not expected a postcard for another couple of weeks. I have tracking info that I could check I guess. I am trying to get the rest of my apps out on Monday and Tuesday. I just have cover letters left, ugh.

Last edited:
^ same here. 8 more to do and then I am DONE!

although, I may check appic and see if anything is left that has a later due date that I might have missed in my original search

I may check appic and see if anything is left that has a later due date that I might have missed in my original search

I thought about that...but it was such a PITA to get my LORs signed the first go around (great profs, just busy), I'm not sure i want to go through that again.

^ my sentiments exactly

I've still got 3 more to send out. One wants an extra essay, and I'm seriously thinking of bagging it and just leaving them off my list. I'm just having trouble mustering the energy to write yet again about some pivotal case, experience, or challenge in my life (if you know what I mean)!:rolleyes:

one of mine wants a "personal statement"

my essays and cover letter aren't enough? I'd love to bag it...but it's one of my top ones!

I have 6-8 more cover letters....ugh. I swear I thought I'd have these done last week, and that didn't happen. A few are due at the end of the month, but I feel like as long as I have to do 4 tonight, I might as well finish them all.

one of mine wants a "personal statement"

my essays and cover letter aren't enough? I'd love to bag it...but it's one of my top ones!

LOL...I hear you. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel inspired, or at least slightly motivated to do the essay. Another site wants a list of the competencies you hope to develop on internship. I swear -- the number of hoops they ask us to jump through seems endless!
:mad:

This thread is giving me flashbacks.... :eek:

Has anyone gotten any interviews yet?? I sent in all my apps a few weeks ago, and someone from my program already has an interview! Anyone here?

Has anyone gotten any interviews yet?? I sent in all my apps a few weeks ago, and someone from my program already has an interview! Anyone here?

Eek, already??

No, haven't heard-- I think it's very early. Though of course now I'm wondering where that interview was, and whether it was one of my sites....

It should take the sites some time to sort through the apps. I haven't heard back from anyone yet (no post cards or e-mails).

I have my last 4 to send out tomorrow. I'm traveling and ran out of time to mail them from home, so 1 or 2 will have to be over night mail tomorrow....just in case (Nov 17th). My last 2 are for the end of the month.

Wow, that's really early! But, no I haven't heard back from any sites yet. Do you mind posting what site your classmate heard from?

Nah, I haven't heard back from anywhere yet either. Ugh, fingers crossed!

i haven't heard back regarding interviews yet, but I have gotten e-mails confirming they received my app. One e-mail saying they needed my undergrad transcript and another confirming my app. but it sounded very very positive (I think I will most likely interview there!).

Is it standard practice for sites to email applicants to let them know their applications were received? I've received a couple of email confirmations, but not from all sites.

Sorry I didn't know at the time of posting where she had heard from - it was Salem VA in Virginia -

I thought it was really early, but it still freaked me out. I have received replies from 8 of my sites (I applied to 15) that they have received my app. Purdue really freaked me out by sending a letter IN THE MAIL. I thought for sure it was a rejection!

Good luck finishing up the app process everyone!

FINISHED! 19 APPS in all! I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend (finally- it's been crazy since September).

Hope the rest of you are doing okay with the internship process.:)

My last apps went out on Thursday....though no rest for the weary, I just flew in and I'll be driving to the west coast (of FL) tomorrow, fun!

Good Luck on the interview trail, maybe some will cross paths. We need an SDN hand signal or something.

504px-Helicopter_hand_signal_takeoff.svg.png

or maybe

665px-Helicopter_hand_signal_move_downward.svg.png

Eeek! I was trying not to be nervous yet.

Does anyone know if sites generally tend to notify everyone at once?

Ugh...as long as I get one interview before the rejections! :(

Just remember to keep your voicemail emptied and be sure to check your voicemail daily. When I was interviewing last year, a lot of sites would call to invite you to interviews or call and ask for more information..... Good luck!!!!

I've had 2 sites call for more information (psych assessments) that weren't originally in the application instructions. I guess that is a good thing, though then I have to pick out a report (short, long, etc).

I just got my first interview invitation. :soexcited:
I'm really happy, but also really nervous now- I had assumed I wouldn't hear for a couple more weeks, and now I feel like I have to be extra vigilant with my email.
I've decided not to post my sites but I am happy to PM anyone who really wants to know.
This site emailed. I figured that was typical. Do people really call?

PS- how am I supposed to pick an interview day when I haven't heard from anyone else yet? Is it kosher to change it later, or to warn them that your decision may be tentative? I mean, it's not like it's a big secret that people apply to more than one site, right?

All of my interview invitations (and rejections) were done via email. So yes, check it regularly!

Just out of curiosity, was it a clinical site (hospital, VA etc)? I'm actually a counseling student, but I feel like most people on here are clinical.

Just out of curiosity, was it a clinical site (hospital, VA etc)? I'm actually a counseling student, but I feel like most people on here are clinical.

I am applying only to "clinical" sites-- all of them are med schools, VAs, hospitals, or some kind of combination of these. So, my information is most relevant to people who applied to those kinds of sites.

PS- how am I supposed to pick an interview day when I haven't heard from anyone else yet?

Some places will list when they offer interviews....though it tends to be buried. I'd just do the best you can, and if you have to, get it changed.

I am applying only to "clinical" sites-- all of them are med schools, VAs, hospitals, or some kind of combination of these. So, my information is most relevant to people who applied to those kinds of sites.
We'll be talking. :laugh: I have heard back from 4 places for confirmation of receipt and/or wanting additional information....but no decisions yet.

^ ah same as me. all medical school or hospitals for the most part. some random safties thrown in.

Sites don't "look down on" you if you need to switch? (i.e.- I applied to 8 places in CA, so I'd LIKE to schedule my interviews close together...so I can just go to Cali on one loooong 2 week vacation, LOL...if I get any interviews!)

This question was just posted on the APPIC forum, and Greg (of match news) stated that internship sites expect this kind of shuffling and it's ok to reschedule if necessary.

Also, it is pretty early to get invites. Many sites just had their deadlines, so don't freak out yet. I'd think the next two weeks they will start to come in....though I wouldn't mind hearing earlier. ;)