2009-2010 UCLA/Drew Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

If you are currently not a full time student please describe your current activities. (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

Describe your community and socioeconomic environment? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years.

Describe how your experience, the community where you live and your family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles Drew University? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

LOR Reqs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello peeps!

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows the most recent class size/avg stats for UCLA Drew. I've already checked out MSAR and it only has Geffen. thx

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary came out a couple hours ago for me.

Here's some of the questions- Limit 800 Chars and Optional hardship part.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
Scholastic
What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

The secondary came out a couple hours ago for me.

Here's some of the questions- Limit 800 Chars and Optional hardship part.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
Scholastic
What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Are you sure this is the UCLA/DREW secondary? The prompts you posted are EXACTLY the same as Geffen's.

Does anyone know when secondaries come out? Or if they have been sent to some of you? I know people have gotten UCLA, but I wanted to c if Drew was out at the same time

do u apply to these guys sperately from UCLA? Do you have to designate drew on amcas and pay another 31 dollars at this point?

Question about the honor essay: I have a sort of unconventional honor...I was inducted into an engineering honor society (which about 10% of engineering majors at my school are eligible for), but I have since switched majors from engineering. However, the honor itself is still somewhat meaningful because I have taken tons of engineering/math classes that really contribute to how I think and approach problems, and my research is in a medical-chemical engineering lab. But I don't exactly "deserve" this honor anymore since it is supposed to be just for engineering majors...

Question about the honor essay: I have a sort of unconventional honor...I was inducted into an engineering honor society (which about 10% of engineering majors at my school are eligible for), but I have since switched majors from engineering. However, the honor itself is still somewhat meaningful because I have taken tons of engineering/math classes that really contribute to how I think and approach problems, and my research is in a medical-chemical engineering lab. But I don't exactly "deserve" this honor anymore since it is supposed to be just for engineering majors...

Does this mean people have already received their Drew secondary?

farf was talking about the normal UCLA applications...i applied to drew but have received nothing yet. Id assume they will be out shortly as UCLAs are out? I just applied to drew today though, so i doubt itll be soon for me. 2000 applications for 24 spots though isnt encouraging...idk why i honestly applied here haha...id go here over anywhere else in cali in a second but just the odds are so discouraging. UCLA screened me in hopefully drew does too :)

What if you didn't receive any honors/awards during your undergrad :(??
Do you just state that or leave a blank?
I"m not sure if you can spin a journal article publication, or research involvement recognition into an 'honor'.

farf was talking about the normal UCLA applications...i applied to drew but have received nothing yet. Id assume they will be out shortly as UCLAs are out? I just applied to drew today though, so i doubt itll be soon for me. 2000 applications for 24 spots though isnt encouraging...idk why i honestly applied here haha...id go here over anywhere else in cali in a second but just the odds are so discouraging. UCLA screened me in hopefully drew does too :)

I believe the number screen for Drew is probably not very high, but they do weigh in heavily on your community service and volunteer work. Their mission statement is very focused on underserved communities.... So I'm sure people get screened out all the time with high stats but EC's that don't match their mission statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
how uncanny: i was just reading through this thread, and in my inbox appears the secondary for UCLA/DREW!

how uncanny: i was just reading through this thread, and in my inbox appears the secondary for UCLA/DREW!
mind posting the prompts and other info when you get a chance? :)

here is the meat of the 2ndary:
2.. .If you are currently not a full time student please describe your current activities. (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

·. .

3.. .Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

·. .

4.. .Describe your community and socioeconomic environment? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

·. .

5.. .List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years.

Dates​
Activity​
# of hours/week​

6.. .Describe how your experience, the community where you live and your family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

·. .

7.. .Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

·. .

8.. . Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles Drew University? (Response limited to 600 characters, please use bullets and numbering)

anyone else get this secondary?

I still haven't gotten it yet :-(

Hmm... i was verified 7/2, so maybe that's why.... but wt45 is so far the only person here who claims to have it.....

Dear Applicant:

We received your AMCAS Application to the Charles Drew University/UCLA Medical Education Program for 2010. Please complete the attached Supplemental Application and return it along with all correspondence. There is a $50.00 processing fee for the secondary application. The fee must be paid at the time the Supplemental Application is filed and is non-refundable. If you have been granted an AMCAS fee waiver, include a copy and the application fee will be waived.

You must submit three letters of recommendation or a composite report from a professional advisory committee from your college or university to Charles Drew University in support of the admission application. Two academic letters from a professor or academic advisor and one recommendation from someone well acquainted with your personal characteristics. This letter should be from someone other than an undergraduate, graduate advisor, instructor, or administrator. Your letters should be submitted to AMCAS.

The deadline for receipt of these letters is November 15, 2009. All application materials must be postmarked on or before that date. We recommend that your file be completed as soon as possible. You must contact AMCAS regarding any changes with your contact information and also email changes to us at [email protected].

We appreciate your interest in the Charles Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program and wish you success with your application to medical school.

Sincerely,

Sandy Rodriguez
Admissions Manager
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science

Congrats both of u! Do u mind sharing when u were verified?

yea i got this one yesterday =)
see some UCs did show you love, maybe just not in the way you thoguht! :). I doubt drew cares too much about stats(unlike the other UCs) so id say you have agood chance here, good luck dude

see some UCs did show you love, maybe just not in the way you thoguht! :). I doubt drew cares too much about stats(unlike the other UCs) so id say you have agood chance here, good luck dude

Yea they aren't as stats focused, but I believe you need to have stellar EC's to even get a secondary. Elijah hopefully we will get one soon!

Thanks guys, im sure you will get it soon! i was verified end of June, they are probably still reviewing applications i bet you guys are next ;)

Thanks guys, im sure you will get it soon! i was verified end of June, they are probably still reviewing applications i bet you guys are next ;)

Looks like a toughie too...Thanks, i hope so too. Good luck on it, and see OneMCATAway I told you you would get a UC secondary eventually.

I think I got screened :(. 3.5/34 OOS

I don't think the screening is heavily based on numbers....As an OOS, you might want to try the Geffen one, I think Drew is a small program for those who want to work in underserved regions of California.

Yahoo!! I got it! 4th UC secondary! (Love that they prefer bullets. UCLA's secondary is tough!!)

Does anyone know if this is rolling or non-rolling?

Also, interview stats?

Oh man - now I need to take a photo...

my status page still has nothing on it :scared:

what does it say for those of you that have sent in your secondaries/ are complete?

did i waste money by sending my primary here if i didn't apply as disadvantaged? still haven't heard anything from them... i could try calling but just curious: for those who have received the secondary, did you guys apply as disadvantaged? thanks!

Thanks, do you happen to know who we make the check out to when sending the $50.00 fee?

did i waste money by sending my primary here if i didn't apply as disadvantaged? still haven't heard anything from them... i could try calling but just curious: for those who have received the secondary, did you guys apply as disadvantaged? thanks!

No you don't have to be disadvantaged to apply here, you have to have extensive experiences working with the underserved. I'm sad, I haven't received it yet, I thought my EC's were decent enough :(

No you don't have to be disadvantaged to apply here, you have to have extensive experiences working with the underserved. I'm sad, I haven't received it yet, I thought my EC's were decent enough :(

ditto :thumbup:

but being disadvantaged sometimes leads to commitment to the underserved!

Thanks, do you happen to know who we make the check out to when sending the $50.00 fee?

i would say Charles Drew University!

my status page still has nothing on it :scared:

what does it say for those of you that have sent in your secondaries/ are complete?

i would e-mail them and see. or call.

my page doesn't even work? i got an e-mail saying i was complete here (i think i already mentioned this to you) :thumbup:

Did anyone get any more secondaries from Drew? I submitted early July and still haven't heard from them. Hope that doesn't mean rejection. :(

Did anyone get any more secondaries from Drew? I submitted early July and still haven't heard from them. Hope that doesn't mean rejection. :(
i submitted my primary to them at the end of july and i just got their secondary today. so much for being done with my secondaries today! :D

I submitted my primary like 7/14 or so...just got the 2ndary today. This thing looks beastly though man:(...i wont have time to do this until next wed or so. :(

Wow...I haven't even gotten a Receipt of Primary email. Are they sending those out?

Wow...I haven't even gotten a Receipt of Primary email. Are they sending those out?
i never got anything like that...i sent my primary on 7/14 and just got an email with a 2ndary and other info today. Super excited though, this is probably my number one choice of any school

Status
Not open for further replies.