2009-2010 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Njms 2014

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, not to be a complete pre-med tool/troll, but I saw a thread about the new US news rankings, so I checked them out. I noticed that while RWJ is 71 (they increased the numbering past 60 this year), NJMS still is unranked. Since they ranked all the way to 90, that puts NJMS in the bottom quarter of med schools (in terms of US news rankings). I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I was a little disappointed since I was (and still am) leaning heavily towards NJMS.

I really like the school and think I'll get a great education, plus the residency list for 2010 looks awesome, and it's close to home, but I was just a little sad ego wise.

Edit: rereading, there's no point to this post, just wanted to vent a bit I guess. :oops:

So, not to be a complete pre-med tool/troll, but I saw a thread about the new US news rankings, so I checked them out. I noticed that while RWJ is 71 (they increased the numbering past 60 this year), NJMS still is unranked. Since they ranked all the way to 90, that puts NJMS in the bottom quarter of med schools (in terms of US news rankings). I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I was a little disappointed since I was (and still am) leaning heavily towards NJMS.

I really like the school and think I'll get a great education, plus the residency list for 2010 looks awesome, and it's close to home, but I was just a little sad ego wise.

Edit: rereading, there's no point to this post, just wanted to vent a bit I guess. :oops:

Some schools choose not to self report. When that happens they go without a rank. This does not indicate that their rank is in the bottom quartile, only that they chose not to participate.

Doesn't matter what the ranks are. They are based on a lot of pretty arbitrary criteria, most of which have very little to do with how our candidates look to residency programs. NJMS provides great training and has an excellent match list, which is a much better measure of where your career can lead you from here.

does any one know when they start ranking the wait list?

They don't rank the waitlist, they cluster it. The clusters are then ranked. When they need a matriculant they pick from the top cluster based on what they need. This is already done when they waitlist you.

Does anyone know how much the tuition is going to increase next year? I scanned the DO board and it said about 15%, but this seems awfully huge (and might have been a rumor). But, the DO and the MD schools have the same tuition right now (I think), so I bet they will be the same next year.

just withdrew from my acceptance! good luck to all those on the waitlist!

i was thinking the EXACT same thing. my other choice is BU which obviously has the bigger name and reputation but...you can't beat the in-state tuition, and i think i'll be happier being close to home as well.

This will mean less to you as the years go by and essentially nothing by the time you graduate. To be honest, selecting any school outside of the top 10 is unlikely to affect your match.

Did everyone on the AL get an email saying they were about to start reviewing and asking for updates? It means we should be hearing soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't get one either, but I sent in a letter with semester updates and all a couple of weeks ago

Hey all - withdrew my acceptance from NJMS a couple of days ago - good luck to people on the WL!

Where you goin instead? I got some other choices but doesn't seem worth the debt

does anyone know if we have to pay another deposit by the 15th or is the 100 dollar deposit that we sent in after we got our acceptance packet the only deposit we need to pay?

Just talked to Dr. Heinrich :) Apparently, he'd been trying to call since Friday but I'd gone out of town and had no cell..uff. But he was super nice about it, and just super nice in general!!

So this means they've started evaluating the AL!! Good luck all :)

Ahh yes, I was accepted, sorry it wasn't clear!

Hi guys!! Does anyone know anything about the Healthcare Foundation Humanism Scholarship? i.e. how many students received it? how much it is? etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hi guys!! Does anyone know anything about the Healthcare Foundation Humanism Scholarship? i.e. how many students received it? how much it is? etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! :)
I did a google search on it for you. It looks like full tuition and goes to 10 students. But, I was under the impression those are given out in the acceptance letters. (Although I very well could be wrong about this, so someone correct me if I am.)

Anyone hear anything lately regarding movement on the waitlist? How many they are expecting to take?

Anyone hear anything lately regarding movement on the waitlist? How many they are expecting to take?

I don't know how many they're supposed to take, but usually I think movement is decent? I was just taken off the waitlist a week ago, but I'm about 95% sure I'll be withdrawing, so that's one open spot!

Just bumping this thread again. Apparently last year the waitlist moved slowly all the way to July.

so who is going to tomorrow's reception? any idea about the dress code? :)

According to Dr. Heinrich, doesn't look like the waitlist will be moving much

According to Dr. Heinrich, doesn't look like the waitlist will be moving much

That is what Dr. Heinrich told you personally? From what I heard, the waitlist moves anywhere from now until august

That is what Dr. Heinrich told you personally? From what I heard, the waitlist moves anywhere from now until august
I think he's talking about what Dr. Heinrich said at the luncheon. If I remember correctly, he said last year they took about two or three people and the two years before they didn't take anybody. He said it isn't looking good for waitlist movement this year and that they had to give out a record low number of offers to fill the class.

But, it seems really early to be making statements like that. I'm sure there will be some waitlist movement.

Yeah he said this at the luncheon when he came to our table. They had an issue a couple of years back when too many students matriculated than expected, which caused some issues with the LCME, so they're trying to prevent that from happening again.

I was accepted in October but wound up withdrawing yesterday afternoon, so hopefully there will be a new spot open to be filled by someone from the waitlist. Good luck!

Also - two of of my closest friends were accepted off the waitlist last year to NJMS, with one of them finding out as late as at the end of June! Keep hope alive. :thumbup:

Has anyone here had success without any connection to New Jersey?

Last Friday, I received an email asking if I wanted to update my application. Does anyone know if the committee has already met this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.