2009-2010 UMDNJ-RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess they dont reject anyone preinterview? They just continue to review everyone's file?

Members don't see this ad.

So I guess they dont reject anyone preinterview? They just continue to review everyone's file?

I guess not...I've been waiting for ANY news from them since I completed in september! Honestly, at this point i would rather just get the rejection than keep waiting. I wonder if the class is already full by now..anyone know?

I think i should maybe give them a call.:oops:

I guess not...I've been waiting for ANY news from them since I completed in september! Honestly, at this point i would rather just get the rejection than keep waiting. I wonder if the class is already full by now..anyone know?

I think i should maybe give them a call.:oops:

I don't think the class is full by now. They're still interviewing, and it's still too early. I would say maybe they will step it up after new year, hopefully?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up if you haven't heard from the admissions office yet! There is def still time.

There was some talk earlier about comparing match lists NJMS vs RWJMS, (I am obviously biased); however, I did hear recently on a thread that a bunch of people at NJMS had to scramble last year (as much as 10% of the class... I am unsure if that is true but you can search for the thread). Our match list is extremely solid and we match into some awesome residencies (we had a 97% match rate--national avg is 93%).

Hopefully those of you that are accepted will come to the reception in Jan. Send me a message with any questions about the school.

Edit: here is the thread regarding NJMS.. scroll through it, but of course take it with a grain of salt:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8997431#post8997431

Last edited:
Noone has posted anything on here recently... i was asked for a copy of my fall transcript last week... hopefully that means they're still reviewing aps! really want an interview here

RWJ is my number one choice, I'm IS. I had an interview in October and was placed in a "very competitive category" for a decision to be made in early 2010, which I thought was sort of a hold, and that they would continue reviewing. However, I did call recently and it seems that this meant waitlist, and I actually won't hear anything till April or May. Is anyone else in this position?

RWJ is my number one choice, I'm IS. I had an interview in October and was placed in a "very competitive category" for a decision to be made in early 2010, which I thought was sort of a hold, and that they would continue reviewing. However, I did call recently and it seems that this meant waitlist, and I actually won't hear anything till April or May. Is anyone else in this position?

I am in the same position. I heard that it is different than being on the waitlist, who told you that it meant waitlist?

Don't give up if you haven't heard from the admissions office yet! There is def still time.

There was some talk earlier about comparing match lists NJMS vs RWJMS, (I am obviously biased); however, I did hear recently on a thread that a bunch of people at NJMS had to scramble last year (as much as 10% of the class... I am unsure if that is true but you can search for the thread). Our match list is extremely solid and we match into some awesome residencies (we had a 97% match rate--national avg is 93%).

Hopefully those of you that are accepted will come to the reception in Jan. Send me a message with any questions about the school.

Edit: here is the thread regarding NJMS.. scroll through it, but of course take it with a grain of salt:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8997431#post8997431

Hey everyone, I wanted to address the 10% scramble last year. I specifically asked this question at the luncheon the other day. I was told two things.

1) The number of spots overall, across programs throughout the US have been cut slightly, thus slightly decreasing the match rates for everyone (slightly).

2) As we all know, match rates are reflective of the individual, not so much the institution. Apparently, quite a few students last year were bold and tried to match to only 1 program (vs. multiple as most people do), and some had the nerve to even just choice a selective specialty like ophthalmology. In sum, poor choices going against proven advice. That'll do you in every time.

FYI - I know the committee is meeting today (1/12 - tuesday). I don't know what students they'll be looking over or anything like that... but I do know they are meeting today :)

FYI - I know the committee is meeting today (1/12 - tuesday). I don't know what students they'll be looking over or anything like that... but I do know they are meeting today :)

Good to know! Thanks! fingers crossed...

Hey everyone, I wanted to address the 10% scramble last year. I specifically asked this question at the luncheon the other day. I was told two things.

1) The number of spots overall, across programs throughout the US have been cut slightly, thus slightly decreasing the match rates for everyone (slightly).

2) As we all know, match rates are reflective of the individual, not so much the institution. Apparently, quite a few students last year were bold and tried to match to only 1 program (vs. multiple as most people do), and some had the nerve to even just choice a selective specialty like ophthalmology. In sum, poor choices going against proven advice. That'll do you in every time.

Thanks for info. did they talk whether class has filled or not? are they still sending interview. How many attended the luncheon?

Precise- I thought it was a hold type of a deal, and different than waitlist too, but when I called I inquired about when the committee was meeting etc just to see and someone in admin office said they met already, it was the waitlist basically.... It could have been a misunderstanding. The ladies there are very nice, and I can't remember if it was Ms. Porter or Ms. Kramer. Not sure. Thoughts on this letter?

ohhh. I am thinking the reduction of the class size from 156 to 100 is going to be a tough break :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for info. did they talk whether class has filled or not? are they still sending interview. How many attended the luncheon?

I and others answered this on the UMDNJ-NJMS thread. Take a peep

2) ...Apparently, quite a few students last year were bold and tried to match to only 1 program (vs. multiple as most people do), and some had the nerve to even just choice a selective specialty like ophthalmology. In sum, poor choices going against proven advice. That'll do you in every time.

Opthamology does its match earlier in the year (as does Neuro, I believe)...so if you don't match, you can still match through NRMP. So if you had to scramble after going through both, that's...fishy.

Any thoughts?

I got the call last night that I was accepted. Complete since September. Interview was 11/18, so about 2 months for me to hear

Congratulations!!!

Does anyone know if RWJ is still giving out interviews?

Got the call late tuesday night as well. Accepted whoo!! I interviewed back on 11/19. I should've heard back before the new year; but apparently they were pretty swamped.

Guess I'm hoping on the RWJ vs. NJMS topics now :)

So...maybe I'm the last person to learn this news, but I thought I'd share this tidbit of info they shared for us at the orientation session today. Due to the new med school by Rowan Univ. set to open in Camden, they are canceling their clinical rotations down there and cutting the class size down to ~100-105 students starting with this application cycle. Just thought yall might want to know that. Apparently, they've significantly cut back the number of interviews they conduct as well (might explain the seemingly "slower" response of Admissions this cycle).

This is really awful news for New Jersey residents applying this cycle or next. In fact, it will be the most competitive 2 years for NJ residents to get into an allopathic med school in recent history. Based on the data for the 08-09 cycle in the MSAR, there were 325 spots for NJ residents between NJMS and RWJMS. If RWJ cuts it class from 166 to 105 it will lower the number of instate spots by 56 (based on percentage of IS vs. OOS) from 325 to 269. That is over 17% less spots for IS applicants! It's tough to predict exactly how much more competitive it is this year and will be next year but change in stats for BOTH schools will be significant. People who would have gotten in last year will not get in this year.

UMDNJ has the goal of increasing the number of medical school graduates in order to satisfy the medical needs of NJ. This is a good thing but in doing so they are reducing the number of graduates for two years. In the long run it makes sense but it is frustrating for current applicants.

My question is why RWJ is ending its clinical rotations at Cooper so prematurely? If 1/3 of the class of '14 and '15 rotated at Cooper (as they normally would), there would be no interference with the Rowan class which would not graduate a class until '16. My best guess is that RWJ would be able to eliminate its faculty and administration from Cooper for 2 years but that's just a guess. Does anyone know why this is?

Any news from here? They asked for my fall grades back in November, and I submitted them (with an update letter) like 3 weeks ago. I'm really hoping to get an interview here sometime soon. When do they stop interviewing?

hey so i just got an email today after sending my fall grades to them two weeks ago for an interview invite, though it sounds like they're just filling up the waitlist from what i've seen above :confused:

anyone else get an invite?

Waitlisted sometime last week, interviewed at the end of November... does anyone know how much the waitlist moves around here?

I got in, will attend. Anyone here attending too? I need help deciding where to live and stuff.

hi guys! i interviewed today and was wondering what the turnaround time would be? has rwj already filled up its incoming class? im a new jersey resident.
thank you! :)

hi guys! i interviewed today and was wondering what the turnaround time would be? has rwj already filled up its incoming class? im a new jersey resident.
thank you! :)

hey did your interviewer mentioned anything about the class being filled?

hey did your interviewer mentioned anything about the class being filled?
no, my interviewer didn't say that, though she did mention the decreased class size due to the Camden/Rowan situation. since only ~100 spots are available, it's very likely that the class is already filled, but you have to remember that many of the accepted students are also probably waiting to hear from other places. so (fingers crossed), some spots should open up!

RWJMS is in turmoil; if you can go ANYWHERE else, do so... you'll be thankful you did...

Students that tend to do well here make there own way (as I and others have)... there are few research opportunities that are worthwhile, and dealing with the administrators, deans of students, cognitive skills (don't even get me started), etc. is a NIGHTMARE... these are state govt workers who should have been put out to pasture like 20 years ago...

this school has no commitment to excellence... they're too busy worrying about "keeping the lights on" and just getting by to help students excel... very disappointing...

the argument of a "cheaper" state school is bogus... students tend to have more debt leaving RWJ than any of the top private schools....

do yourself a favor and look elsewhere, or better yet, wait a year (do something interesting research wise, travel, work, etc) and apply to other places...

the "guidance" you'll get is to try to push you into a primary care field (it's a state school, that's their agenda, no big secret there!) at a NJ-based residency... the UMDNJ hospitals (including RWJ!) are still suffering the hangover and brain drain from the financial misgivings at UMDNJ over the past ten - twenty years.... the best have left for greener pastures, and so whatever's left is the bottom of the barrel... they're trying to hire some big names as dept chiefs from other hospitals (e.g. they got the head of trauma surgery from penn), but it will take 10 years at least to turn around these depts... NOT a good situation for a rising medical student, or one pursuing residency....

those doing residency here are here because they can't make it in ANYWHERE else... don't believe me? Look at the number of DO's and FMG's in their residency programs... OB-GYN, for instance, is MALIGNANT....

This is part of the reason that Camden seceded from UMDNJ and paired up with Rowan... Camden was not getting its fair share of state $$$ but had all the overhead of being a UMDNJ school (and consequent baggage)...

These problems permeate even the basic science years (the biochemistry dept has lost all its heavy hitters, folks with grants that are dealing with BS pick up their toys and go someplace else)... don't get me started on the physiology dept... rob zachow may be returning after Toro fell through (this guy is an egomaniac, has a spinning testosterone molecule on his slides, and failed 10% of a recent year's class on the final because they weren't attending class, and it bothered his pea-brain ego)... about 15 people had to REPEAT physiology over the summer between first and second year as a result of zachow making this another weed-out class (and you thought organic chemistry did that?)... good luck trying to find a competitive residency after THAT experience...

The curriculum is 20 years old; you'll spend from 8-4pm in class everyday first year, and have to take anatomy and biochemistry simultaneously (which is ridiculous).... by comparison, at other state schools, students first year are done by 1pm... nevermind that it's pass-fail your first two years, the curriculum is ANCIENT

In short? Steer clear!!! ANY other school is better than UMDNJ (and RWJ particularly)
-

This is the first time I've heard anything negative about RWJ. All current and recently graduated students I've talked to seem to be really happy with the school and the quality education they received...

RWJMS is in turmoil; if you can go ANYWHERE else, do so... you'll be thankful you did...

Students that tend to do well here make there own way (as I and others have)... there are few research opportunities that are worthwhile, and dealing with the administrators, deans of students, cognitive skills (don't even get me started), etc. is a NIGHTMARE... these are state govt workers who should have been put out to pasture like 20 years ago...

this school has no commitment to excellence... they're too busy worrying about "keeping the lights on" and just getting by to help students excel... very disappointing...

the argument of a "cheaper" state school is bogus... students tend to have more debt leaving RWJ than any of the top private schools....

do yourself a favor and look elsewhere, or better yet, wait a year (do something interesting research wise, travel, work, etc) and apply to other places...

the "guidance" you'll get is to try to push you into a primary care field (it's a state school, that's their agenda, no big secret there!) at a NJ-based residency... the UMDNJ hospitals (including RWJ!) are still suffering the hangover and brain drain from the financial misgivings at UMDNJ over the past ten - twenty years.... the best have left for greener pastures, and so whatever's left is the bottom of the barrel... they're trying to hire some big names as dept chiefs from other hospitals (e.g. they got the head of trauma surgery from penn), but it will take 10 years at least to turn around these depts... NOT a good situation for a rising medical student, or one pursuing residency....

those doing residency here are here because they can't make it in ANYWHERE else... don't believe me? Look at the number of DO's and FMG's in their residency programs... OB-GYN, for instance, is MALIGNANT....

This is part of the reason that Camden seceded from UMDNJ and paired up with Rowan... Camden was not getting its fair share of state $$$ but had all the overhead of being a UMDNJ school (and consequent baggage)...

These problems permeate even the basic science years (the biochemistry dept has lost all its heavy hitters, folks with grants that are dealing with BS pick up their toys and go someplace else)... don't get me started on the physiology dept... rob zachow may be returning after Toro fell through (this guy is an egomaniac, has a spinning testosterone molecule on his slides, and failed 10% of a recent year's class on the final because they weren't attending class, and it bothered his pea-brain ego)... about 15 people had to REPEAT physiology over the summer between first and second year as a result of zachow making this another weed-out class (and you thought organic chemistry did that?)... good luck trying to find a competitive residency after THAT experience...

The curriculum is 20 years old; you'll spend from 8-4pm in class everyday first year, and have to take anatomy and biochemistry simultaneously (which is ridiculous).... by comparison, at other state schools, students first year are done by 1pm... nevermind that it's pass-fail your first two years, the curriculum is ANCIENT

In short? Steer clear!!! ANY other school is better than UMDNJ (and RWJ particularly)
-

You joined SDN just for this one post?

lol get a life with a post like that, (not to mention that stupid ass username), apparently that was the 1% who don't do well in med school

also how about you do a little research first, they changed the curriculum for the class of 2014

there is nothing wrong with a school like rwj, in fact there is nothing wrong with any US medical school, regardless of what anyone says

lol get a life with a post like that, (not to mention that stupid ass username), apparently that was the 1% who don't do well in med school

also how about you do a little research first, they changed the curriculum for the class of 2014

there is nothing wrong with a school like rwj, in fact there is nothing wrong with any US medical school, regardless of what anyone says
Seeing as your SDN status is 'pre-med', I'm wondering how you can make such a generalization. Perhaps current students and recent graduates would have more insight into a school than someone who has yet to enroll.
And to assert that "there is nothing wrong with any US medical school" is dangerously naive.

excuse me being naive, obviously some schools are better than others, most schools have financial problems, because they don't know how to manage a business the right way, the wasteful spending of money is a joke and RWJ is a prime example

med school is nothing more than a business, and to think otherwise is being naive, of course im sure ivy league and top schools are in much better shape financially than state schools, but im sure every medical school has their flaws

never the less, much better than going to a DO school or to some island, well at least you'll be nice and tan

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Sent today throughout the UMDNJ community...
March 2nd President's Lecture at SOM Canceled - Message from Diane Weathers

Dear members of the UMDNJ Community:

We have made the difficult decision to cancel the March 2nd President's Lecture. Given the financial challenges facing UMDNJ, an event of this nature is not appropriate at this time.

Gratitude is expressed to Dean Tom Cavalieri and the staff and faculty of the School of Osteopathic Medicine for their tremendous work. I look forward to resuming the Presidential Lectures in the near future.

Diane Weathers
Senior Vice President
Advancement and Communications

Hmm... an event of this nature? The lecture was entitled "Healthcare for Non-Citizens: New Realities, Challenging Choices" at the School of Osteopathic Medicine... Sounds like a pretty important topic (particularly for the population served in NJ!) They were moderating an event... how expensive could it have been? This was a discussion on immigration and its impact on academic medical centers... Pretty important stuff if you ask me...

Once again, it's hard to pursue excellence when you're having trouble keeping the lights on.
Check out the post on the following website...
http://rwjmedlib.blogspot.com/
read down to August 30, 2009... the media library had been closed, and the librarian who was there for 22 years essentially lost her job...

Think about it... a medical school.. with no media library... who is going to record those lectures for you? Sad, particularly since the school required incoming first years to buy an IPod touch or an IPhone
., so you could listen to lectures anywhere... Great way to sell the school as being "tech forward," particularly during interview season... Then, after school starts, shut down the library.... blame it on "financial uncertainties and departmental budget cuts"

Use your critical thinking skills.... Things have to be pretty bad if a school can't afford to keep the library open.
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
Thinking there's "something wrong with this US medical school."

Last edited:
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Sent today throughout the UMDNJ community...
March 2nd President's Lecture at SOM Canceled - Message from Diane Weathers

Dear members of the UMDNJ Community:

We have made the difficult decision to cancel the March 2nd President's Lecture. Given the financial challenges facing UMDNJ, an event of this nature is not appropriate at this time.

Gratitude is expressed to Dean Tom Cavalieri and the staff and faculty of the School of Osteopathic Medicine for their tremendous work. I look forward to resuming the Presidential Lectures in the near future.

Diane Weathers
Senior Vice President
Advancement and Communications

Hmm... an event of this nature? The lecture was entitled "Healthcare for Non-Citizens: New Realities, Challenging Choices" at the School of Osteopathic Medicine... Sounds like a pretty important topic (particularly for the population served in NJ!) They were moderating an event... how expensive could it have been? This was a discussion on immigration and its impact on academic medical centers... Pretty important stuff if you ask me...

Once again, it's hard to pursue excellence when you're having trouble keeping the lights on.
Check out the post on the following website...
http://rwjmedlib.blogspot.com/
read down to August 30, 2009... the media library had been closed, and the librarian who was there for 22 years essentially lost her job...

Think about it... a medical school.. with no media library... who is going to record those lectures for you? Sad, particularly since the school required incoming first years to buy an IPod touch or an IPhone
., so you could listen to lectures anywhere... Great way to sell the school as being "tech forward," particularly during interview season... Then, after school starts, shut down the library.... blame it on "financial uncertainties and departmental budget cuts"

Use your critical thinking skills.... Things have to be pretty bad if a school can't afford to keep the library open.
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
Thinking there's "something wrong with this US medical school."

You just become member to post two!!!! Still haven't got your resp as some one also posted before!!!!

I think this is great school based on what i have heard from current Student and Performance of the school. I spoke to at least more then 12 current students from first year to final year. They all seams to be happy and don't have much negative.

Yes..they have some management issue. But that normal to most of all school. Yes, they may have some financial issue, but again that normal in this day. Unless, it has impacted performance, i will not worry.

Unless you state who you are and how you you affiliate with UMDNJ, we can get more insight. Are you current medical student of RWJ/UMDNJ?

being a resident of nj as im sure we all are here, we know the financial situation in jersey is horrible, the govt spending is ridiculous etc, etc., lets pay the school superintendent of a township 200k+ a year, for what who knows, i can go on and on with people getting paid more than they should, which involves like 90% of professions, definitely not including doctors who have to be broke for 35 years before making money

at the same time the problems of a school like RWJ or any school near a major metro area will be magnified more so than a school in the middle of nowhere like nebraska or iowa. we all know that all med schools are in financial turmoil

never the less someone who joins SDN to bitch about RWJ is a complete joke, thanks for the great insight buddy, you made me reconsider going to med school

You joined SDN just for this one post?

Regardless if this is his first post or not, he is not fabricating these points. I have seen and heard many of the negative aspects of this school that he mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.