2009-2010 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got financial aid info...wow those numbers are scary/large. haha.
As far as not accepting ALL of the loan money offered, how conservative are you guys going to be? Is it standard to accept like 1000 more than you think you will need just in case?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm terrible as far as understanding money/debt/our economy and didn't have to borrow for undergrad...

Did it come in the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I got an email on my "wings" address that said to check wings express. It isn't finalized, so you don't have to accept the award yet..its just a notice of how much you're eligible for I guess.

I'm gonna do my best to avoid the Med Plus loan... try stave off the 8.5% interest....

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my reject letter last week too.

Last edited:
Got my reject letter last week too. Thought it went relatively well, obviously not. I got one more shot for this season at Toledo.... really hopin for the best there. Good luck to those who did make the waitlist tho.

I'm sad to say, but I will be withdrawing from here. I hope my spot goes to an SDN'er on the waitlist.

I really loved this school!

Got my reject letter last week too. Thought it went relatively well, obviously not. I got one more shot for this season at Toledo.... really hopin for the best there. Good luck to those who did make the waitlist tho.
Good luck to you Coco- I hope you make it at Toledo :)

Same here with regards to the interview, I thought the interview went great. My GF, who has nearly identical volunteer/extracurriculars/work experience as me and a lower GPA and MCAT (3.6/28S vs. 3.9/32S) got accepted right off the bat, so I have no clue what WSUBSOM is looking for. Once she got accepted I figured I'd have no problem or at least be on the top/mid of the wait list, not the BOTOM. WSUBSOM was my last shot for this year, which makes it really unfair that their letter says "if you dont hear from us by Aug. 9th assume we closed your file" Aug 9th is way past when we'd be reapplying already. Hell by then I'd be sending WSU my secondary for NEXT year already.

On a side note, anyone know how far back WSU accepts MCATs? This is my 3rd app cycle (1st time applying though) with my MCAT and I'm dreading having to restudy for this thing on such short notice... :(

Last edited:
Their website says an MCAT can't be taken more than 3 years prior to filling out your application

Same here with regards to the interview, I thought the interview went great. My GF, who has nearly identical volunteer/extracurriculars/work experience as me and a lower GPA and MCAT (3.6/28S vs. 3.9/32S) got accepted right off the bat, so I have no clue what WSUBSOM is looking for. Once she got accepted I figured I'd have no problem or at least be on the top/mid of the wait list, not the BOTOM. WSUBSOM was my last shot for this year, which makes it really unfair that their letter says "if you dont hear from us by Aug. 9th assume we closed your file" Aug 9th is way past when we'd be reapplying already. Hell by then I'd be sending WSU my secondary for NEXT year already.

On a side note, anyone know how far back WSU accepts MCATs? This is my 3rd app cycle (1st time applying though) with my MCAT and I'm dreading having to restudy for this thing on such short notice... :(

Wow, tough luck with a 3.9/32 not getting you in anywhere.

You may want to call the schools you got rejected from and ask how you can improve your app, because your numbers are very solid and you probably need work in other areas.

I'm confused from reading your post about the retaking MCAT part - but if this upcoming cycle is #4 with the MCAT, then yes, you need to retake.

G'luck

Wow, tough luck with a 3.9/32 not getting you in anywhere.

You may want to call the schools you got rejected from and ask how you can improve your app, because your numbers are very solid and you probably need work in other areas.

I'm confused from reading your post about the retaking MCAT part - but if this upcoming cycle is #4 with the MCAT, then yes, you need to retake.

G'luck

If i'm gonna retake the MCAT, i'm gonna need a while to study for it, and taking it in july wouldnt get me results back til aug. be pushing it to get in apps early to get them in early enough to get any kind of advantage as far as timing goes.

About that 3 years thing, technically i took it in july 2007 and got my scores aug 2007. so if i send my primary in before july 2007 might it still be good? i know, pushing it. thankfully i only live an hour from WSU so i'm gonna set up an appointment with Dr. Peterson, who heads the admissions committee, to discuss my application. Any chance a good personal interview like this could boost my waitlist spot?

Last edited:
Yeah I think you are okay as far as the MCAT date goes, but if you're gonna be in the admissions office anyway, it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected Cosmi
I'm sorry to hear that Class2014; are you waiting to hear back from any other schools? Maybe you can get in touch with your interviewers and Dean Peterson to see how your application may be improved- in case you decide to reapply to this school...I wish you all the good luck and success for the future! PM me if I can be of any help!

Sadness. He can't meet with me until 2nd week of June. Feels like it's too far into the wait list game to have any shot. I'm thinking of writing a letter of intent and basically dumping my heart out about going to WSU this year and hoping for the best. Can't hurt right? I mean, once my gf-soon-to-be fiancee got in, that settled it for me, i'm not going somewhere else, so i'd only be applying there next year anyway... uggh this is sucking right now.

Last edited:
Sadness. He can't meet with me until 2nd week of June. Feels like it's too far into the wait list game to have any shot. I'm thinking of writing a letter of intent and basically dumping my heart out about going to WSU this year and hoping for the best. Can't hurt right? I mean, once my gf-soon-to-be fiancee got in, that settled it for me, i'm not going somewhere else, so i'd only be applying there next year anyway... uggh this is sucking right now.
that sucks...yeah I would say go for it for sure. It couldn't hurt. I feel like the admissions staff at Wright is fairly sympathetic to family circumstances

any suggestions on who to write to? I've seen the LOI thread stating the Dean of the Med School, which would be Dr. Howard Part, but there's also Dr. Peterson and Dr. Gary Leroy, who are asst. dean of admissions, and also Dr. Kimberly Slawinski, the assoc. dean of Air Force affairs (we're both planning to go through the AF, my fiancee is already sworn in) in hopes that maybe she can pull some strings?

One of the ladies in the admissions office said to send the LOI to her but "[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Bear in mind the admissions committee will not see any updates or re-evaluate your file at this time."

Thoughts on sending a copy to the admissions committee members directly anyway? I'm at the bottom of the waitlist so odds are they're not going to get to me anyway... right?

Hmm... I don't know. I'd say it couldn't hurt to be persistent, just don't be annoying. Did they recommend sending this directly to the committee members? Seems like its standard to just sent it to the admissions office in general, and then they add it to your file, which is then reviewed at the proper time.

I'm not sure if they even review the files anymore. And yeah, i dont wanna be annoying but i'm out of options really and i really want this school, this year. I feel like every school's admissions office is gonna say "send it to the office" but it seems the LOI threads always recommend just sending it to the dean/dean of admissions directly.

i'm inclining that way. i figure i'll think it over this weekend and then send it out monday morning, since they're not gonna be in their offices til then anyway. any one else with thoughts? (not that i dont value your opinion buckeye)

oh, and one bit of good news came out yesterday: admissions at WSU told me my MCAT from July 2007 would be valid as long as I applied before July 2010 (read: hits exactly 3 calendar years old, not 3 app cycles old), which wouldn't be a problem since i'd be sending the app out early decision anyway. just gonna be tough trying to find ways to bolster my app in a month's time or so. also means i dont have to quit my job to study full time for 2 months (huge relief).

Last edited:
Lol No offense taken...seems like nobody is bumping this thread lately. But I'm glad your MCAT is still good for this year...thats great news anyway.

Lol No offense taken...seems like nobody is bumping this thread lately. But I'm glad your MCAT is still good for this year...thats great news anyway.

it is great news, but still not the news i really need. i'm really worried about how not getting in this year will affect me and the future wife's plans...

LOIs sent to both deans of admission. praying for the best now. waiting to hear back from my premed advisor to see if the dean of the med school should get one too. i think my heart might explode if i get accepted this year.

and for the record, my premed advisor (at WSU!) can't figure out why i wasnt accepted either. so i dont know if i unknowingly blew the interview to hell or what, but i felt great leaving the building.

Guys!!! I got my acceptance package in the mail today!!!!! :soexcited:It feels completely surreal! For those of you still waiting to hear, the School's first round of offer letters to waitlisted individuals were mailed on Tuesday; I sincerely hope this week brings nothing short of excellent news to many of you!:woot::woot::luck::luck:

Yay! Congrats Cosmi, see you in August!!
Haha, thanks BuckeyeCarl! I'm super excited!!! The letter states it's a *conditional acceptance* pending my CBC results (AMCAS criminal background check), and as far as I'm aware my background's clean so I hope they'll send me another package soon- this time only with the word: ACCEPTED! Haha.

Haha, thanks BuckeyeCarl! I'm super excited!!! The letter states it's a *conditional acceptance* pending my CBC results (AMCAS criminal background check), and as far as I'm aware my background's clean so I hope they'll send me another package soon- this time only with the word: ACCEPTED! Haha.

Congrats! See you in the fall.

Guys!!! I got my acceptance package in the mail today!!!!! :soexcited:It feels completely surreal! For those of you still waiting to hear, the School's first round of offer letters to waitlisted individuals were mailed on Tuesday; I sincerely hope this week brings nothing short of excellent news to many of you!:woot::woot::luck::luck:

congrats man. what were your stats? where'd they place you on the waitlist? i assume top third if you got in on the first round of acceptances.

congrats man. what were your stats? where'd they place you on the waitlist? i assume top third if you got in on the first round of acceptances.
Thanks smashweights; I was in the top third of the waitlist, and am very surprised at its fast movement. I've been following your posts as well, and I wish you all the best!

Thanks smashweights; I was in the top third of the waitlist, and am very surprised at its fast movement. I've been following your posts as well, and I wish you all the best!

hopefully it keeps on moving. i think you should toss your acceptance to wsu for me ;)

I was called today and offered a spot in their class. I was in the middle of the waitlist. There is still hope!

I was called last week too..middle third waitlist.
Is anyone getting any scholarship $???

my friend visited the WSU office of admissions yesterday and she said that the asst. dean was still handing out acceptances to ppl on the alternate list. there is still hope!

I was called last week too..middle third waitlist.
Is anyone getting any scholarship $???
I'm calling tomorrow, and my attendance will be pending that. I'm in at Cincinnati where I can get the Kentucky metro rate (all but in-state tuition) all four years. I'd love to see Wright State give me a competitive financial aid package though... We'll see....

Anyone else recently accepted off the waitlist call and get any info?

I was accepted way back in october and still have not heard of any scholarship money given out. I wish they'd let us know if they already gave it out or when they are giving it out.

They gave em out way back in late april early may, I do not think that people who are getting off the waitlist would be getting any scholarships, they are used to entice applicants who are accepted and go to other schools

accepted from the "botom" third of the waitlist!! there is still hope for some of you!! : )

accepted from the "botom" third of the waitlist!! there is still hope for some of you!! : )

Congrats! i heard from a friend who interviewed in march that everyone was automatically put on the BOTOM third when he interviewed and he was recently accepted... so im going to try calling on tuesday to see if they have actually gone through 2/3 of the waitlist already because i thought i would have no chance being that far down :xf:

spoke to a total b**** on the phone today who basically said not to send in an update letter because thye wouldnt read it. Then said that i basically wouldnt get in and wouldnt even answer me when i asked her where they were on the waitlist. oh well

spoke to a total b**** on the phone today who basically said not to send in an update letter because thye wouldnt read it. Then said that i basically wouldnt get in and wouldnt even answer me when i asked her where they were on the waitlist. oh well

This school has the nastiest receptionist and frankly I would not go here even if I was paid if I had to deal with that lady on a constant basis. I hope the folks in admissions are reading this because that lady sends a poor image of the school and several people have complained about her on here.

I hope they contact us soon about convocation information since its only a few weeks away. Haven't heard anything from them in a while except the class name

ACCEPTED OFF THE "BOTOM" THIRD OF THE WAIT LIST 5 DAYS BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS!!!!!!!

So much to do in so little time! See you all at Convocation Sunday at the Schuster Center!

PS- check your mailbox, i got an email about Convocation today.

Status
Not open for further replies.